1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wierd noise on start-up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stro1965, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Oct 31, 2008 at 9:35 AM
    stro1965

stro1965 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica Tacoma 4x4
    New '09 4 cylinder Taco, just 500 miles on it so far. Started it the other day when it was cold out and, about 1 or 2 seconds after start-up there was a strange noise from the engine compartment, almost like a grinding noise. Lasted maybe 2 seconds and stopped. Pretty loud, worried me a little. Today, not quite as cold outside, it did it again, but not as loud. Won't duplicate on a second start-up or once the truck is warm. Any thoughts? I'll ask the dealer but I know they won't be able to duplicate it unless I leave it overnight with them, and then they'll get just one shot at hearing it.

2. Oct 31, 2008 at 9:43 AM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD 4x4 DC
    OME Lift W/886 Coils LR UCA's Daker Leaf Packs 265/75/16 Duratracs N-Fab Steps UWS low pro box Carhartt Seat Covers/Door Inserts/Console Cover Relentless Fab Rear Bumper/Tailgate Skin Bed Mat DB Fab Grille Insert with Baja Designs Cube LED's Bulletproof Fab Engine Tray/Lower Grille Insert .50 Cal Antenna/Valve Stem Covers Custom Fab Console Lock Box Custom Shift Knob Dash Mat Window Tint Rugged Ridge Floor Mats Blacked Out Emblems Color Matched Grill Surround OEM Front Aluminum Skid Plate G-Tek Door Sill Protectors Wheelskins Steering Wheel Cover EGR In Channel Vent Visors FJ emblem on the tailgate Fab Fours front bumper Northstar battery TRD battery tie down
    Hard to tell, tell them to give you a loner and leave it overnight.

3. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    GrEeN WeEnY

GrEeN WeEnY Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Bend, OR
    I know this thread is ancient, but my '11 RC 4cyl tacoma makes a wierd bang/clank/ sound from the engine compartment, but only when cold, and only once. Once it's been started for the day, it's quiet. Sounds like maybe the same problem. Did you ever figure out what the deal was??

Thanks!

4. Mar 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    watacomaguy

watacomaguy Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    Have someone else start the truck in the morning. Stand in front with the hood open and see if you can narrow it down. Might have to get one of those stethescope things once you get dialed in on the location.

5. Mar 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    My has a wierd noise too upon starting. Its sounds like some sort of electronic gear. It doesnt sound like its something wrong. But I've wondered what it was. Funny thing is that it happens only once I get the truck going. Ive tried listening to it with an open hood but it only happens as soon as the truck moves.

6. Mar 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    The sound you are likely hearing is the anti-lock brake system self test. What the others are hearing sounds like it may be the bendix of the starter motor sticking when cold.

To Top