1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wife hit by drunk driver last night....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kingfrog, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Apr 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I agree with chris. I believe people who bring frivolous lawsuits are total douchebags but that is a serious accident with potential long term medical problems.

That shit ain't covered in the US of A, lawsuit is your only recourse. Keep it in mind.

2. Apr 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x100000000^1000000000

3. Apr 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Hope your wife feels better soon and you get your vehicle taken care of.

You have to look out for your financial future and your wife's health. Might not be a bad idea to consult with a lawyer....

4. Apr 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    With all due respect. I would get a Lawyer and stop talking but it's probably too late for that. Good luck, anyway. Glad to hear your wife is alive.

Steve

5. Apr 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.

Exactly do what ^^^^ he said.

6. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    Glad your wife is doing okay, hopefully you can get this all settled.

7. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa

x2

8. Apr 30, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    YEah OK...I filled out a form I will have a slew of lawyers calling me Monday morning. I There are such things as "punitive damaged" that go beyond treble damages when DUI, texting or ant other distraction to driving was apparent herein South Carolina. Given that DUI issues are treated seperatly from normal fender benders I likely should hand it all over to an attorney. I think the Ambulance ride and ER will will amount to over $2000 in expenses. Not counting any appointments she will have with doctors. I hope there are no more medical expenses. I would rather her healthy then needing any medical procedures.

The Rav will probably be fixed. Fair market value is $15,600 according to NADA. SC Law requires FMV to be paid out and if the vehicle repair doesn't meet or exceed that amount they will likely fix it

9. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Dude, sorry to hear that. I saw a few accidents in the area on Scanner Radio (follow it on my phone) and I bet one was hers. Where did the accident occur?

As you probably know, Horry County was at one point (still?) the highest county in the nation for drunk driving fatalities so she's damn lucky and I'm glad for you and her that it wasn't worse. It could've been MUCH worse.

Best of luck in the recovery process.

BTW, I agree with everyone else, GET A LAWYER. Harry Pavilack would love that case, lol

10. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Thanks man..OH I know....Could have been a knock at the door....We were spared........It was on the corner of Robert Grissom Parkway and 21st Ave near Broadway at the Beach.

I was going to go it alone but I have since found out South Carolina has "punitive damages" for DUI offenders. to teach them and their insurers a lesson. I don't know anything about how to go about seeking those becasue THOSE are definitely something I support. Even if those damages were awarded to the state to help victims who lost family members for educating their kids and not in cases like this. I would get a lawyer to see these damages paid especially since the offender did not even care to see if my wife was ok and apparently not cooperating with police.

looking at that pic again makes me think these vehicles today are made of aluminum foil or crumpled paper.

BTW LOVE Scanner Radio on Android. I listen to Chicago Police more action

Some of these lawyers won't take a light injury case. I refuse to use a alwyer like Axlerod who advertises everywhere for hit and run $5000 settlements. Nor will I select a lawyer who defends DUI suspects....

11. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    X1

12. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I agree with you totally. Make him pay. DD has got to stop.

Broadway, can't say I'm shocked. That area is like the Philly/NJ bridges eastbound on a Friday or Saturday night: many many drunks.

13. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Glad she's ok! If a drunk driver ever hit me I'm not sure i could control myself. I'd spend the night in jail for sure ;) Maybe more then one night...

14. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I've heard from unreliable sources that the typical threshold is half the FMV. If the crumple zones collapsed, then repairing the chassis will require quite a bit of pulling.

Either the front end crumple or the passenger crumples. Laws of physics unfortunately. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

15. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    X2

16. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:

BTW found this 2010 RAv seems a lot less damage and they are calling it a total...http://toddskee.com/wordpress/?p=246

I don;t understand why an insurance company would rather pay out $15,000 rather than $8,000 to fix a car. In South Carolina they only have to pay FMV is the repairs meet or exceed the FMV value (then there is that Vehiclefax thing that further devalues the car another 10%....when a wreck shows up . That has to be considered as well in a loss scenario. Especailly since we can prove we have been car shopping in the past few weeks....via Email quotes.

Seen that vid, VERY telling.....

I am guessing its a total considering what I have been reading......

Based on that I guess we will be stuck looking for another SUV for her sooner than I wanted and in more of a rush.

17. Apr 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah Im pissed he did not have the courtesy to help her..a complete stranger had to get the door open but would not allow her out since she was in shock and pain. Those airbags pack a wallop and the seatbelt injury can create hematomas. The more I think about it the more pissed I get....

Here they have a DRAM law where they can go after the bars who serve these drunks. Thankfully she is not injured enough to go to that length but I am glad to hear IF she were injured and remained hospitalized they could go after anyone who provided the drinks. She has been in bed all day on painkillers and xanax. This is a woman who NEVER stops moving. she can't sit for a minute. Always doing something. Its painful to see her like this even though I am greatful she was not seriously hurt.

The adjuster will be calling me....I think I will refrain from all talk that is not Property damage related and tell her I am seeking legal help with this. Usually insurance companys have 2 adjusters, one for property and the other for injury and they are settled separately.

Thanks for your advice guys....I am not one to sue at the drop of a hat and i won't this time. I will let the expert do what they do becasue its a DUI case.. They may settle this. I don't see how they have a leg to stand on with their guy in jail.

18. Apr 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    ChRis.

ChRis. Member

Member:
    Glad to hear your wife is ok. I would opt to have the car totaled if the choice is given. The car will never be the same after extensive damage like that.

Make sure you keep it an open medical claim with whichever insurance you are dealing with. Don't settle and close out the claim because your wife's injuries can cause possible future medical issues.

19. Apr 30, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else

My wife and I have been part time bar tenders for five years now. We have no control over someone who decides to drive after drinking or not. Just two weeks ago we had a young man get shitty and told us he was leaving. He even asked us to call him a cab. We did. Thirty minutes later we learned he drove home hitting three parked cars and a nice night in the drunk tank.

Products Discussed in

To Top