1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wife wants a Rav4. Any opinions on them?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by ScreamingTaco, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco [OP] Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    Hi.

Not sure if the Rav4 qualifies as a car or an SUV... but I'm going to ask anyway...

My wife wants a Rav4 and I don't know anything about them. I'm wondering how good they are in terms of reliability, performance and safety.

She's looking at the Sport 4x4 and trying to decide between the 4cyl and 6cyl engine.

She wants something that'll handle well on snowy/icy highways as well as capable of doing some minor offloading down unmaintained trails (likes to fish).

I'd like to confirm if the 4WD is a full-time/AWD setup with locking differential instead of a T-Case?

2. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner DoubleCab TRD
    Bull bar, nerf bars, bed extender, tonneu cover, bug deflector, wish list,....
    I am not sure about the 4WD system, so I would not want to guess at an answer, but I know that the RAVs are great little SUVs. My sister has had 2 of them, stil has the 2nd one, and her inlaws also has one. They have just good things to say about them.

3. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    The subaru forrester is like the step up from the rav4. If she likes the look and functionality, I would put the extra money into the sub. But I just know this because my cousins girlfriend had two of them and I drove them a couple times and they are aaaaawesome. Sat in a couple rav4's as well, and the subaru is just a bit nicer.

4. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 TRD tacoma
    Camburg LT
    Rav 4 is a good vehicle. My older sister has one and she loves it.

5. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
  6. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I rented one last summer while on vacation. 4cyl, auto, 4x4. If I remember right it was full time 4x4 without a low range. I was visiting some friends in North Carolina. They live in the mountains near the Tennessee border. We put 1500 miles on the car in a week, most of it with three guys in it. AC on the whole time. It had plenty of power with the 4cyl. Don't get me wrong, it's not fast, but kept up with traffic no problem. Sometimes the engine does work hard and has to be spun up past 5,000 rpm to climb the larger hills. I still am not really comfortable with that, but it seems to be how the newer 4 bangers are. We didn't try to wheel it, but I wouldn't have had an issue going down an unmaintained dirt road with it. We got 23MPG average for the trip. Mostly two lane roads at 60-65, with some long interstate trips at 75-80MPH. And we drove it like most people drive a rental car. If I owned it and cared what happened to it, I'm sure the mileage could have been a bit better.

7. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    tencrawler

tencrawler Beaver Believer

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver SR5 TRD Sport 4X4 DCSB
    17x8 Pro Comp 7089, Black Tail Light Tint, Air Box Mod w/ K&N, iPod & Aux Input, Black Dash & Center Console, Debadged, De-Mudflapped, Blacked Out Front Valance, Red Calipers, Fog Light Anytime, 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights, 5100 Billys All Around, Front @ 1.75", Wheeler's 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Cover King Ballistic Seat Covers, BHLM Morimoto DS2 Retrofits
    My wife and I like our little Rav4. It's a 2011 FWD I4 Auto in Super White. Comfortable , great gas mileage (32 MPG), and its not the ugliest rig on the road.

8. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    The V6 Sport model is pretty fun to drive. My Grandma traded her Solora in for one. It's an AWD, type set up but I do think there is a button to go into low range. Can't recall.

4Runner would be better off road. I wouldn't take a CRV down anything more than an unpaved road.

9. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    we have a 08 rav4 4cyl 2x4 and omg it's gas mileage, i've gotten 40 before, and avg low to mid30s and it's so roomy, yeah it's a little cheap looking on the inside, but you cannot beat mpg/room/reliablity, it's been in a couple accidents of which were not my fault, it was so costly though, so i guess one con is it takes a alot of $$ to fix up but other than that, it's an awesome suv

10. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
  11. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, Amp Research , ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Officer Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights.
    Get it for your wife. You won't regret it. My gf has one and so did my old boss. Perfect car for women. V6 is fast when you want it to be. Awsome Toyota reliabilty and gas mileage . I put my stock x-runner rims on her car...looks pretty bad ass. 255/45-18 . Everything fits like stock !!

12. Mar 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Central Point OR (gangsta town)
    same shit as everyone else
    Get an FJ. My old lady wanted one too. I talked up the FJ for two months and it worked out well. She's in love and were going to find one soon!

13. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter.
    I didn't like them when they first came out but I test drove a 2011 4cly 4wd and loved it. It felt roomy and handled very well. I've never driven one before, but it felt like I have been driving it forever. My wife sat in the back and liked it too. I was told the 4wd kicks in when needed kinda like awd but in 2wd when not neccissary which explains the MPG. The back hatch opens like a door and not a hatch which was good for my 4'11" wife. i really liked it and wanted to buy one and wasn't looking for a rav4. Almost got one but the new Taco is first for me. I plan on getting one later. Some have sun and moon roofs and leather. Definate win if you ask me.

14. Mar 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco [OP] Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    She went with the V6 Sport in dark grey.

She's pretty happy right now. :)

15. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    MikeluvstheTaco

MikeluvstheTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Saskatchatoon
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Nice! My friends wife got one before this winter and she has nothing but good thing to say about it

16. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wife has an '04... minor restyle of the 2nd gen.
    Hers is a 4 cyl 4door "Limited" and she's very happy with it.

It replaced her 2000 Echo (gave that one to her daughter) and has just over 120k on it.
    Just took it for smog last December and the readings were zilch.

It had a couple of "out of the box" issues. The ECU shit the bed when it was a month old, and about 6 months later she lost an O2 sensor. It's been rock solid ever since. Hasn't been back to the dealer for anything, I've done all of the maintenance using Toyota parts.

17. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    Hunt89

Hunt89 Active Member

Member:
    Nanaimo BC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Pro Comp Lift 6" 33inch bfg all terrains
    great vehicles everyone i know that has one loves them, great fuel mileage. tried to convince the gf to buy one but she finds it to small and know different then a car. So instead she drives my tacoma most days haha

18. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    The only thing I know first hand about them is that insurance is pretty high on them because of the tire on the back door. When my sister rear ended one it was somewhere around $3,000 to fix only because the tire carrier tweaked the whole door and rear body panels if that tire wouldn't have been there then it, using my unprofessional opinion, would have been probably a 300 repaint and bumper straightening job.

19. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 TX Baja TRD Access cab, 6spd, 4X4, White
    Build (apologies to Sean): 2013 TRD T/X Baja, ACC, 6 spd, SuperWhite II Exterior/Performance TX Baja Series Badging (small sticker--no large “Baja”), Red TRD badge on tailgate Hitch cap TRD Cat-back exhaust BP Fabricating steel front skid plate TRD Gun Metal Gray Beadlock Style Wheels BFG A/T 265/70/16 Tacoma Bed Mat Aluminess flat bumper with PIAA 520 SMR fog lights Demello rock crusher bolt-on sliders Interior/Performance Toyota HD All-weather Flooring throughout cab...entirely weatherproof. No carpeting Stock leather shift knob Suspension Front 3” TRD Eibach racing coils 60mm HD Bilstein (TRD custom valved in San Antonio) front shocks. Similar to 9100/9300s w/ bumpstop Modified bumpstops by TRD in San Antonio Dual tube 50mm Bilstein in rear (TRD custom valved by TRD in San Antonio) Tuned 3 leaf + overload
    My wife has a 2003 AWD RAV4 and she'll never give it up. I like to drive it in town where parking is a pain rather than the Tacoma.

20. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    fadippides

fadippides Well-Known Member

Member:
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Off Road
    We have a 2011 limited v6. Its the fastest car toyota makes 0-60 in 6.2 its normally fwd but switches to awd as needed. There is a button on the dash to lock it in awd under 25 mph. Decent in snow with winter tires on. Mpg is 27-30 on the highway, 4cyl gets about the same as the v6. Look for the subaru video of the rav4 on rollers to understand the limitations of the awd system

To Top