1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WiFi or 4G LTE for tablet use while driving?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by bizjettech, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Jun 12, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    bizjettech

bizjettech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    So I've got a 2020 SR5 and just activated the WiFi on a trial basis (AT&T). I'm planning on using a Samsung tablet for Google maps, etc. Wondering what gives best overall performance, a WiFi or a 4G LTE tablet? Looking for someone who has tried both......what say you?

2. Jun 12, 2020 at 7:35 PM
    TacoParty2020

TacoParty2020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro Army Green
    Haven’t tried either one but I would guess either one would be good as long as you’re getting good signal And how much you’re willing to pay. Both coming from same network so it all depends on your finances.

3. Jun 12, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    I get unlimited data WiFi for $20 per month so hard to beat that but not sure the WiFi will provide the best speeds......anyone know ??

4. Jun 12, 2020 at 9:10 PM
    rtadams89

rtadams89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    You do realize the WiFi is just a WiFi access point connected to a 4G modem in the car, right? So the car's WiFi speed (to internet) is going to be the same as a 4G phone/tablet on the same network.

Ck1010 and TacoParty2020 like this.
  5. Jun 13, 2020 at 5:41 AM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Yes, I am assuming the truck has an external antenna for receiving the 4G signal to the modem for the WiFi in the truck and therefore may be a little better than just having a 4G LTE tablet inside the truck looking for a signal? Maybe I'm way off on this?....What are your thoughts?

6. Jun 13, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double cab TRD Offroad. quicksand in color
    All I can say is our GMC has the at&t WiFi and it's slow as hell. At&t is pretty crappy here in the north east too. May be better in other parts of the country. Wish they had used Verizon instead.

7. Jun 13, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    So far, in my trial time, I agree. It seems really SLOW - so I'm wondering why anyone would use it ???

abodyjoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jun 13, 2020 at 5:54 AM
    That1guy108

That1guy108 What's a title?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB Sport 4x4
    Full OME Kit, Level 8 MK6 Wheels wrapped in 255/80/17 Cooper Maxxs, NWTI Plate Bumper, Flowmaster 40 muffler, Smittybilt X2O 10K winch.
    So just another option here to potentially save you money. If your phone plan has unlimited hotspot data, some tablets can do whats called bluetooth tethering and it basically uses your phone as an antenna using its signal and data. I do that with the head unit in my truck and its much simpler and cheaper (no extra data plan) and if you cant blue tooth tether theres still hotspot. Any reason for wanting a specific data plan for the tablet?

9. Jun 13, 2020 at 6:02 AM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Thanks for the info. No reason for a specific data plan for the tablet.
    Yes, I was thinking of the phones hot-spot but right now it's not part of my cell plan, but I can add it.
    I need to see how much it would be in comparison to the $20 unlimited data wifi plan I currently have.

Still trying to figure out why they put WiFi in as standard equipment?? Seems like because its so slow, its not very popular??

10. Jun 13, 2020 at 6:09 AM
    That1guy108

That1guy108 What's a title?

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB Sport 4x4
    Full OME Kit, Level 8 MK6 Wheels wrapped in 255/80/17 Cooper Maxxs, NWTI Plate Bumper, Flowmaster 40 muffler, Smittybilt X2O 10K winch.
    I would think its to provide for people with kids to give them tablets on trips to watch videos and such or for people like you who want to put service in a tablet for other uses, but it seems more and more car manufacturers are doing it for sure. I cant say if the service is slow as Ive never used it or been in a vehicle that has it, but like others have stated it will be limited to the same service limits as your phone for sure. If you plan to use it for gps you could always find an app that downloads all the maps (if theres enough storage) for when you go places there are no service. I believe google maps has an option for that but Ill have to check. The only upsides to gps with internet connections will obviously be live traffic updates and most up to date maps and info.

11. Jun 13, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    tacomaccountant

tacomaccountant Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2019 Metallic Grey SR5 4WD
    It’s also worth mentioning that a lot of WiFi only tablets do not have a GPS chip so they have to be connected in some way in order to know where you are. Cellular enabled tablets (you don’t need to activate the plan you just need the tablet with the cellular hardware) are able to provide your location without a connection. This let’s you download map info beforehand and not be reliant on a signal all the time.

That1guy108 likes this.
  12. Jun 13, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Very good point that I failed to recognize! Thanks a bunch for pointing that out!
    I am in the market for a new tablet and will definetly take this advice - anyone have a tablet they recomend?

13. Jun 13, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I just use my phone as a hot spot if someone in vehicle wants to connect a device that doesn't have cell capability.

My plan is all you can eat for $60/mo for two phones (not each phone, both phones), so data cost isn't an issue.

But for travel I typically use a Garmin on the dash. Only dependent on the satellite signal. Plus easy to move between vehicles or pack to use in a rental car after flying somewhere.

Taco_mike73 likes this.
  14. Jun 13, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    What I use is my phone all the time on a mount for maps. I have done this for years. My Jeep that I had for over ten years never had wifi or anything. It had a DVD based NaV that was $150 a year to update. I just use Google maps. If I'm going somewhere remote where cell service might me not so good I'd download the map for the area before I left. When I had expensive and crappy sprint that was half my camping trips. Now I have TMobile with unlimited data and hotspot. The service is actually better and cheaper $70 for two lines and I as paying $90 for one with an employer discount.

I'm with Clearwater Bill I'd just use my phone so there is no second service to pay for. Also don't you have Android auto and Apple car play? If you plug in your phone you should be able to run the phones nav app on the Head unit's 8" screen.

Products Discussed in

To Top