1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wildlife Management/ Forestry

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by rhion82, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Jan 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    rhion82

rhion82 [OP] El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Ringgold, GA
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco w/ SOS bumper and skids, complete OME lift, and 4x sliders
    Anyone on here have either a Wildlife or Forestry degree. I've decided to switch from criminal justice to Wildlife Management in the fall. How is it working out for you so far?

2. Jan 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    niit_train

niit_train Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully
    I, too was interested in forestry when I began college. I started in a school here in WV that has a top notch program. While going through the home sickness stuff as a 17 year old, I thought about my choice very hard and long. I wanted to be a conservation officer(as they are called here). I really enjoy the outdoors, be it hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc. As a low ranking CO in our state, I would not be able to hunt during our season, due to work. Fishing would be out of the question, too. When it comes to planning vacations, I don't beleive hunting season would be a good decision.

After thinking with this weighing on my mind, I pulled a switch. I switched to CJ, and ultimately switched again to Civil Engineering. I would have loved to pursue Forestry in the other aspects of the profession, but finding a reliable job where I am is hard.

I am not trying to deter you away from your dreams, but this was a light that I could see at the end of the tunnel.

Remember to think decisions as these through, and find someone else with a different view than yours to help you. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make!!!!!

NT

3. Jan 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    rhion82

rhion82 [OP] El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Ringgold, GA
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco w/ SOS bumper and skids, complete OME lift, and 4x sliders
    Thanks for your input. As of right I will be transferring to UTK with my major in Wildlife Management and probably a minor in Forestry. I have been told by Wildlife Officers(what we call them now) that your chances of hunting or fishing is slim to none for like the first ten years or so. Here in the southeast its nothing but national parks, and forest .

Now days it all about who and how you know them. With that being said I have several "connections" in TWRA, Georgia DNR, and lumber companies and they all have told me I would most likely to get hired with their help.

I have talked it over with several people and I got thumbs up and thumbs down from them. But in the end what really matters is if its what I want to do for the rest of my life. Mom is really trying to push me to go work for the railroad.

4. Jan 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Coastie Joe

Coastie Joe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    NM
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road
    I have a degree in Fish and Wildlife Management and another in Ranger Services... Great career! But plan on no money and there arent that many jobs out there.. I Work as a lineman now and joined the coast guard and do law enforcement part time... I would never take back learning the things I have learned or getting to see the things I have seen though...

5. Jan 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    Thing about jobs like wildlife management is that they always have "a guy" who has been working for the company foe 39 years and wont retire. In most cases "a guy" (or girl) has some sort of runner up that has also been with the company for 10-15 years if not more to pick up the job if other one retires.

From my experience of working in mining industry... there are people that get a degree in say ecology or something of that sort.. work in the industry and then get a job with a contractor and then closer to retirement age they get a job in the forestry. Remarkably enough everyone knows each other so transition to being "a guy" is rather smooth and little training is required.

I think that if you were to go into forestry... try looking for some sort of apprenticeship with one of major forestry companies and see where that takes you.

6. Feb 4, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    I have a friend who has a degree in it and seems to do quite well (he has a taco too but is not on here). He works with the forestry department in a city right outside of Boston.

To Top