1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will a 2011 with Satellite Prewire have the Antenna?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hal9000, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    RCL

RCL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Dbl. Cab
    Winch
    I just looked at two new tacomas yesterday and neither had antenna on roof, however a 2010 on the lot did.

2. Dec 21, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    obanion63

obanion63 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arnold
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 4X4
    Bull Bar
    Hey just reading these threads. I have a 2010 with the 6 disc changer. Does this mean all I have to do is subscribe to Sirius and I am ready to go?

3. Dec 21, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    obanion63

obanion63 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arnold
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 4X4
    Bull Bar
    Oh yeah i also have the antenna on the roof

4. Dec 21, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    No you will have to buy the tuner and fit kit, as described in the pdf I posted in post #10.

5. Dec 31, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    stevcde

stevcde Member

Member:
    After installing the xm receiver, fit kit, AND the OEM antenna, I ran into the same issue. No place to plug in the harness into. There was the male end for an antenna . Spoke with the parts guys and technicians at my local Toyota dealership and apparently there is going to be some kind of change on the '11's. I tried looking for the wiring that runs from the head unit to the kick panel like on the 09-10, but we couldn't narrow it down to a part number. Anyway they told me to hold tight to see what Toyota releases for a satellite add-on kit. Geez!

If any of you guys can get a hold of the part number for that harness or have any info on what Toyota plans to do on the 2011's, I'd appreciate it!

6. Jan 1, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    TacoScott

TacoScott Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 SR5
    That male end of the antenna is a male to male patch cord that runs back up to the head unit.
    If you don't mind sharing, what was the cost the OEM antenna? Did you drill a hole in your roof?

Thanks!

7. Jan 2, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    stevcde

stevcde Member

Member:
    The OEM antenna ran me about $56. But I also had to buy the special nut that secures the antenna and routes the cable ($8) then I also bought the cable that has the female plugs on both ends ($50). So I have the antenna all wired up to the receiver, just need to plug this stuff into the head unit. Did you get yours running?

Installing the OEM antenna looks harder than it is. After masking off and lining up the two holes to be drilled I was able to get underneath the headline without removing it. Just remove the coat hooks and there will be enough play in the headliner that you can stick your hand underneath it through the sliding rear window. Then just run the cable underneath the trim.

I found the antenna here. The manu'f notes say what color it will be.
    http://www.toyotapartszone.com/2009/86-04-4208-toyota-tacoma-antenna.html

8. Jan 2, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    On a related note, the factory XM kicks ass. I installed mine a few weeks ago and it has yet to drop/lose signal, and the sound quality is excellent through my factory head + aftermarket amps/speakers.

9. Jan 2, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    TacoScott

TacoScott Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 SR5
    I haven't got mine running yet. Once I found out about the missing pre-wire, I decided to hold off on the antenna install. What was the part # for the female to female antenna cord and the special nut/bolt?

I've checked around at a couple of local "U pull It" wrecking yards hoping to find a wrecked prewired '09 that I could cut the needed wire out of and grab the antenna, but no luck.

In the meantime, I'm kinda on the fence about about getting the iSimple Sirius solution. I fell in love with XM driving my wife's car, but I like the Sirius channel packages a little better. Then, the 3rd party antenna becomes an issue for me.

Thanks for your experience/advice on the factory antenna install. Not super confident drilling a hole in sheet metal.

I guess I'll follow your Toyota guys advice and "sit tight." Please post when you get any info.

10. Jan 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    You could use an OEM antenna with Sirius. I used an XM antenna for many years on my BMW's factory SIRIUS after the OEM antenna got hosed. They both have the same connector and work just fine for either XM or SIRIUS.

11. Jan 3, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    stevcde

stevcde Member

Member:
    As for the part # for the nut and cable, the parts guys were able to pull up a diagram from the antenna part number and go from there. Oddly the diagram was for a Camry but it worked nevertheless.

I'm really bummed that I'm so close to having xm in my truck. I figure I've invested this much, I'd rather wait and have it be OEM. I'm also gonna keep looking for that one cable in the meantime, wish me luck.

12. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    doubletaco

doubletaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Magnolia
    Vehicle:
    16 Quicksand TRD O/R 4x4
    TRD FJ Wheels, LED Fog lights
  13. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    is there any way to connect your head unit to the satellite antenna on the roof so i can get rid of te shitty antenna in the front?

14. Jan 19, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    stevcde

stevcde Member

Member:
    Well I was determined to get my xm running and I wasn't about to continue to "sit tight" for Toyota to come up with the system for my 2011. Anyway after a little research I found I would have to create my own harness. Now the xm kit and the back of the head unit require a male 12 pin connector. What I did was order a couple of "Y" splitters, chop the male connectors off and make a 3 foot harness to run from the head unit to the connection point in the drivers kick panel. Works good.

FYI.. the part # for the Toyota 'Y' harness is 08695-00370. They run about $14 each.

15. Jan 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    TacoScott

TacoScott Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 SR5
    Wish you would have made 2. I would have bought one off you.

Looks like I'm going to follow in your footsteps. Thanks for the solution.

Was the splice from the 2 Y harnesses long enough or did you have to add your own wire?

16. Jan 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    stevcde

stevcde Member

Member:
    I had to add cable to create my harness as the "Y" connector are way too short. What I did was cut off the male 12 pin connectors from the two "Y" connectors I bought. Then with a roll of automotive wire (20-22 gauge) I made my connections. If you're good at soldering, that's the way to go. Good news is that running the wire from the head unit to the connection point in the kick panel is relatively easy. The cable can drop down into the driver's foot well and then just zip tie it behind the knee panel.

Products Discussed in

To Top