1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will a 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd manual Tacoma meet my family's needs?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Kravchenko, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

2. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    I have an access cab, wife, and two children. However, my wife has a Rav4. DO NOT buy an access cab if it will be your only vehicle! You must buy a 4 door!!!! You WILL regret getting the access cab if you want to haul your family around!! I love the style of the access cab and 99% of the time it's just me in the truck. I've taken my two kids on a couple short 1 hour trips with them sitting in the back and they complained about their backs!!

The access cab is perfect for me because we have another vehicle for family trips. You will regret an access cab if it's your only wheels!!!

3. Mar 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    x2

4. Mar 25, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I would be amazed if the V6 Tacoma got over 12 towing anything. The mileage drop with a 4 banger is more dramatic, but it is more than likely still more fuel efficient in all situations.

5. Mar 25, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    Kravchenko

Kravchenko [OP] Member

Member:
    We will borrow a friend's rear-facing infant seat - their baby just grew out of it and they have no problem lending it to us. Our plan is, when we test drive again this spring, is to make an appointment at Toys R Us during our test drive. I got the Yaris from this dealership and they have delt with my father. They should have no problems letting me have an Access cab for a couple of hours.

We already have the dog. She just turned 1 in February. Border-Collie Black Lab cross. She was rescued from the pound and had been living on the street for a while. She's essentially a hobbit Lab. Full grown and full weight she is only 42 pounds. Comes just past my knee. She's the perfect size and has an awesome temperment. Real sweetheart.

6. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    jeckel30

jeckel30 Member

Member:
    Those Scamps tow very well. I picked up a 13' in Texas two weeks ago and drove back 1,000 miles with my 1999 Honda CRV. I had no trouble and went 65mph and got 20.4mpg over the whole trip. An I4 no doubt will pull it well but with a loaded 16' version I would probably go with the V6. If you had 13' I would say you would probably be fine with the I4.

7. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    I know you said you would really like the 4cyl but if you plan on towwing I really think you should get the v6. Its nice to have a little extra power there just incase and as far as access cabs go, I have one and I think it only has one rear seat harness for a child seat.

8. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    I have the truck that you are considering. While it is perfect for me, I don't have kids, a camper, etc. I, too, got the 2.7 to save gas, but it has it's limitations. Considering how infrequently you will be towing etc., I would use the Yaris for commuting, and get the 6 cyl you want to get a Tacoma. Towing/carrying stuff and fuel economy are unfortunately incompatible objectives. Just my .02. Good luck. BTW if you do give up the Yaris, sell it to a private party vs. trading in for the Tacoma. As a rule, dealers will give you a lot less.

9. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    With my V6 - I get 15+ all day with a 2 place aluminum snowmobile trailer under 60 mph. Small utility trailer 17..

OP, get a mini van, Forerunner, or V6DC

10. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Kravchenko

Kravchenko [OP] Member

Member:
    When people mention that I will be beating the hell out of the truck to maintain highway speed, do you mean that I will be at 4,800 RPM in 4th gear trying to maintain 60 MPH/100 KMH on flat terrain?

I just recall my father used to tow a 16" Prowler with an '89 Dodge Caravan. The thing was NOT a light weight trailer and easily weighed 500lbs more than the one I want to buy. These vehicles have similar HP ratings and the Tacoma has more torque. Plus, it is RWD (when 4x4 is not engadged of course), so towing would be easier than the front wheel drive van. He never had problems and we did a long road trip through North Western Ontario. Other than the Caravan being a complete rusty, glitchy POS though.

I guess I won't know until I try. Too bad I know no one with a Tacoma. Everyone has a fullsized truck or truck based SUV. I know one guy who tows his snowmobile with his Yaris though!

11. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    sure

hey they can do it :)
    beverly_hillbillies_9ef2033f9c17ff51dcc7c05784d79ce8288ccc49.jpg

12. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    You'll be fine on the flats. No problems at all unless you're driving into a headwind. Then you'll be downshifting a bit. But you mentioned the Rockies. And towing in the Rockies, you'll be in 2nd or 3rd gear trying to maintain 40-45mph. It's not really a big deal .. just get in the lane with with the tractor trailers and RVs and take it easy over the passes. But back home in Manitoba, you'll be fine. It's a good engine, and the manual is the right transmission for it.

But I will tell you that I do have an access cab, and my wife is 5'2". And while she doesn't find the back to be uncomfortable for short trips, there's no way she'd sit back there for an hour much less a day. The seat cushion is all right. It's the absolutely straight up back that's so uncomfortable after a short time. So if you get to borrow one for a few hours and you think your wife is the one who's going to be sitting back there, let her ride back there for the afternoon ... and then let her make the decision! My bet is she won't like it very much for very long.

13. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    Cerviperus

Cerviperus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Mt. Zion, IL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 TRD Off Road
    Grille4You 3" Stainless Nerf Bars, EGR In-Channel Window Deflectors, BAKFlip HD Tonneau Cover, Oznium 5" Blue LED Dome Light, WeatherTech Floor Liners, EGR Bug Shield
    I have me and my fiance, no kids, and I bought the double-cab. After owning 2-door vehicles in the past, and riding in my parents' access-cab truck, never again. 4-door all the way. I have the V6, and so far am averaging right at 20mpg, but it isn't broken in yet either. Plus, I haven't been real heavy-footed either.

14. Mar 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    Turp

Turp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    I'd have to say no. The child safety seat may not work in the access cab for safety reasons. Secondly, the tow weight is on the limit side of the tow capacity. I tow about 1,800 in lawn equipment and your really going to be straining on hills at 2,400-3k lbs.

I would highly recommend spending more and get a V6 Dblcab. It'll be the no compromise soloution that you can run til the wheels fall off. Secondly the MPG isn't that far off the 4cyl.

15. Mar 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    Cerviperus

Cerviperus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Mt. Zion, IL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 TRD Off Road
    Grille4You 3" Stainless Nerf Bars, EGR In-Channel Window Deflectors, BAKFlip HD Tonneau Cover, Oznium 5" Blue LED Dome Light, WeatherTech Floor Liners, EGR Bug Shield
    From Toyota's site, just for reference.

2011-03-25_170103.jpg

16. Mar 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    Papa Tac

Papa Tac Adjunct Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Tac
    Codroy Valley, Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Ned Ludd Edition
    Pupped my ride - Dog bench, Black stock rims, Tail Gate antitheft mod, Bed storage and sleeping platform, Action Cap w/Yakima rack and Rola basket, Seatbelt chime off, Tentasaurus
    Get the V^6 DC.
    I effin LOVE my 4cyl Base AC for me wifey and 90lb Lab, but with kids and moderate towing you will for sure need the bigger rig.
    Fuel economy (my guess) would probably be equal/better in the V6 than 4 cyl when towing is figured in.
    The 4cyl AC can cut it, but less strain and more room in the V6 DC for your needs.
    Glad I'll never have to worry about child car seats...

17. Mar 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I have an 09 AC I4. I beleive it will meet your limited towing needs. I have hauled a camper and a well loaded utility trailer with mine. You know it is back there but it doesn't kill you.
    [​IMG]
    I pulled this trailer 4 hours from Connecticut to Maine with my fiances friend in the back seat, bead loaded with camping gear and averaged 20.5 mpg for the trip. Had no issues holding 70mph. The girls friend said she didn't mind the ride in back at all, but she is a good sport.
    However, in my truck, the only child seat anchor points are behind the drivers seat.
    So... I think she will meet your towing needs but am not sure about the family. But please let us know because I am going to be in the same boat in a couple years.

18. Mar 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Also, the consesus seems to be that the air filters and other mods don't do a damn thing. If anything sink the money into regearing down a bit. I think it comes stock with 4.11 and you can go to 4.56 or 4.88. Loose just a bit of mileage or non at all and gain power. Really only needed to climb the Rockies though.
    Good luck!

19. Mar 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    I am in your position. I purchased a '09 4cly AC 5spd 2wd for my spouse, great truck, tows a loaded 2500lb pop up with extra equipment in the pickup bed. She drives a leisurely 65-70mph and returns about 18-19mpg on flat roads. It works great if my 6 year old would stop growing:D.

I'm looking at getting a DC long bed 2wd V6 auto. I won't be thrilled with the fuel economy, but I need the space and the wife wants an automatic. If my son decides to invite some friends to go camping they'll need real seats.

I consider 2500lbs the practical limit for the 4cly Taco, even though it's rated for 3500lbs by the book. If you're even considering driving through the mountains fully loaded, regularly, I'd opt for the V6.

The 4x4 4cly vs 4x4 6cly mileage isn't much different, by the time you load down the 4 banger with any load you'll be approaching the mileage of the V6. You might see better mileage unloaded at interstate speeds, but we're not talking a 3-5mpg difference, more like a 1-3mpg difference between the two trucks. If you're pulling a camper, not pop up, the 4 banger won't it to much aerodynamic drag.

20. Oct 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM
    ChemDawg

ChemDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    Idk I gotta access cab tacoma and a 2dr civic. Wife daughter and I take trips all the time.. 3 is good 4 people gets tight..
    Ehh 2me a 4dr looks like a Frankenstein limo truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top