1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will bear spray stop a charging bear or at that point are you basically fucked?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by TacoManTaco, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Mar 27, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    In light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in the field.

They advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them.

They also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.
    It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear dung.

Black bear dung is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear dung has little bells in it and smells like pepper."

2. Mar 27, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    pnw.river.junkie

pnw.river.junkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    I haven't read this entire thread, but to answer the original question I'd say, yes it works... I've never had to spray a bear, but I've come close. My buddy fired a couple of 10mm warning shots once at a curious brown bear in AK that was getting too close to us. Spray isn't fool proof but it does work, and there are loads of folks out there who have sprayed bears and lived to tell the story. Firearms aren't fool proof either. When I fish salmon in AK we typically have one or two guns in our group and everyone has spray. When I fish steelhead in BC I only bring spray because it's a pain in the ass taking a firearm over the border. Put it this way, I've had bush pilots in AK who won't even let you on the plane if you don't have spray. It's better than nothing and has stopped many bears around the world.

SilverBulletII likes this.
  3. Mar 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    lucky13don

lucky13don Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Milton, fl
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P.04 tacoma prerunner, 04 sequoia 4x4
    Too many to list
    My hand and ears hurt already....lol

windsor[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 29, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    FrozenTaco

FrozenTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frozen
    Canada's Yukon
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport, mgm w/leather DCLB 4.0L AT
    There are no guarantees, as each situation is different, and learning the behaviours of different bear species is an important thing.
    When I’m hiking/backpacking I have bear spray, an air horn, and a combo kit with bear bangers, whistlers and flares.
    If I’m truck camping I have all that plus my Remington 12 gauge Marine Magnum loaded with #00 buckshot and slugs alternating.

Some points:
    -Bear spray is useless in the wind, and can spray back in your face.
    -You need to have the bear spray ready to quick draw, and practice getting it ready.
    -Bear spray is not much good in a tent! (Unless you can spray it out the open door) The air horn is likely better as a deterrent in a tent...if you have time.
    -Bear spray is no good at a distance! It’s a last resort! (actually, hitting the bear across the nose with the expended can is maybe the last resort, happened to a young tree planter in B.C.).
    -At a distance, if you have time, the bear bangers or whistlers are likely the better deterrent. BUT you don’t want the bear banger to travel beyond the bear and scare it towards you! It’s happened!

The old timers have a saying up here, that if you are going to carry a handgun for defence against a grizzly, make sure to file the front sight off.
    It will hurt way less when the bear stuffs it where the sun don’t shine.

396C9FE7-48B3-4F53-B411-E2E7FBA09124.jpg

1020AD02-17C7-4844-AFE0-DB65A46C8436.jpg

FishinCrzy and SilverBulletII like this.
  5. Mar 29, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    I definitely wouldn't gamble my life with bear spray, 12 gauge with slugs maybe, or take someone with you that you can out run.

Bunk Moreland likes this.
  6. Mar 29, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    FrozenTaco

FrozenTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frozen
    Canada's Yukon
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport, mgm w/leather DCLB 4.0L AT
    A .22 pistol might do it, judging from this story I read on the Internet...
    (So it must be true!)

“I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Alberta. Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man, was she mad. We must have been near one of her cubs. Anyway, if I had not had my little .22 pistol I'd sure not be here today. Just one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace!”

coopcooper[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
  8. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:27 AM
    Usethe2nd

Usethe2nd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal
    The chances of encountering a bear are incredibly small. Being bear smart is your greatest benefit while in bear country. Lots of noise, no leaving food in or around camp, keep your distance and DO NOT appear to be a threat. Bear spray has been proven more effective than using a fire arm, easier to operate and hit the target. When i lived in Alaska, everyone had bear spray, EVERYONE. If we had one large group we would usually have only one or two guys packing a gun (usually a shotgun). if we were to split into sub groups of two or three people, each sub group would have one firearm with them. Whenever im in bear country alone i always will have both spray and a handgun on me(Glock 20) and if i can pack it ill carry a shotgun with buckshot/slugs in an alternating pattern in the tube.

9. Jul 13, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    winfredAB

winfredAB Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Winfred
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    None
    Im not sure about western bears but I can attest that spray will make a black bear tuck tell and haul like a scalded dog.

Plus I love dogs and in my business bear spray takes them out of the picture and doesn't permanently harm them.

Oh and bear spray works wonders on the two legged variety as well.

jwctaco and stbear like this.
  10. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    sentientprogram

sentientprogram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Better than nothing I'll say

11. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    NYCTaco52

NYCTaco52 Half man, half goat

Member:
    First Name:
    Somehow known as Stewart, but named Ben
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    Stocklocker[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 28, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    I have had five bear encounters with in the last nine years here in New Mexico. They are everywhere it seems. They were all black bears and the encounters happened at less than 50 feet with one at spitting distance when I rounded a corner and he had stopped to smell the ground where I walked.
    Did not need the bear spray, just a lot of yelling did the job.
    My Tacoma gets me into some pretty remote areas.

jwctaco likes this.
  13. Jul 28, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    JKO1998

JKO1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 4.0 V6 4X4 Cement 18 3.5 V6 4x4
    New Mexico has a huge population of bears.

That being said, they’re all pussies, from my experience

14. Jul 28, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    TomTwo

TomTwo I love God but I cuss a little

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    I-85 Southbound and Truckin
    Vehicle:
    Totaled 2012 TRD Sport, 2013 TRD Double Cab Sport
    I would carry a .22 revolver with me.................and shoot the person next to me in the knee and then I would run like hell :thumbsup: just sayin.

15. Jul 29, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    We have black bears here in NH all over the place as well. They are pretty much as skittish as cats.

16. Jul 30, 2019 at 1:34 PM
    winfredAB

winfredAB Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Winfred
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    None
    A very LONG time ago I was in north western Colorado and while standing next to a tree I noticed a scrape several feet above me and Im 6'7" it looked like bear claws. If it was a bear that thing could have had my black azz for dinner. Buddy of mine in elmendorf AFB had a rug made out of a brown bear and it was an incredible size boar. Black bears are skittish by nature I think. People love to hunt them though, I don't think they taste all that good. Put a crazy white dude in a tree with a bow and he'll shoot/eat ANYTHING!

Rhines I know you be reading this !

dfanonymous and TomTwo like this.
  17. Jul 30, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    JKO1998

JKO1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 4.0 V6 4X4 Cement 18 3.5 V6 4x4
    It’s more fun to put them in a tree
    AFB28B37-F500-41FB-B1BE-EB307CB94698.jpg

18. Sep 9, 2019 at 11:06 PM
    daltondrose

daltondrose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Forest Grove, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro Voodoo Blue, 2008 FJ MT Sand Storm / White
    • Victory 4x4 front Strike Bumper • Warn Winch Zeon 10 Synthetic • White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails • Prinsu Full Rack System front and rear • ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor • Nitro 5:29 gears w ARB Air Lockers • 315 70/17 BFG KM3 • 17” Wheels KMC XD with Matching Spare • Decked Storage System • SnugTop Canopy with Windoors • Expedition One Rear Bumper with Dual Swing Outs • Baja Designs Rock Lights • Switch Pros SP 9100 • Victory 4x4 LED Light Bar • Front Baja Designs Driving Lights • Rear Baja Designs Flood Lights • Body Mount Chop (installed by Accessory Outfitters in Aloha, OR) • OME Rear LEAF Springs (soon Deaver Stage III w/ Archive Hammer Hanger) • Ride Rite Airbag System with Daystar airbag free floating cradle • Tailgate panel, Black Mountain Hatch • Tacoma Bed Stiffeners, Chaos Fab • Spindle Gusset, Chaos Fab • ICON 2.5 (58735c FR / 57805P RR) Suspension
    Alaskan’s often joke... there are tourists that taste like meat and those that taste like peppered meat. GUNS! BIG ONES!

jwctaco likes this.
  19. Sep 9, 2019 at 11:42 PM
    dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tacoma TRD Pro.
    -Shmellfab rocksliders.... -BD ditch lights -Cali raised ditch light brackets -Sway bar discos -Auxbeam aux 6 gang -Uptop Bravo -Rci trans skid -Rci cat guards -Trd pro eibach lift springs -Hypertech speedo calibrator Etc.
    Never had a problem with black bear. However I think bear spray is a waste. If a bear is going to charge you half the time it’s a fake charge anyways. You’d be better off not pissing it off more with some bullshit pepper spray, because it even a little black bear no bigger than Tom Cruise will shred you up.

That being said carry a 10mm.

Bears that you SHOULD be respectful of are brown bears/grizzlies. They will fuck you up for: being on their territory, being to close to a mamas young, because they’re hungry, and just because they want to they are much less skittish of people. Solution- Carry a 45-70 with hard cast bullets. Bear spray will get you killed.

20. Dec 13, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    infantry317

infantry317 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD OR
    None yet
    SilverBulletII likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top