1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will installing PKALL mean that I can use a non-chipped key to start my truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by clintonjeffries, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    I'm considering putting in a remote start system using the PKALL bypass module... When I bought my truck it only came with one key, which is chipped. Does the PKALL bypass this so that a regular non-chipped key can also start it? or will it only "talk" to the remote start system?

I'm trying to decide whether to pay $100 to get a second chipped key, I obviously would like to go with a cheap copy if my remote start system will override the chip anyways...

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    That bypass does not need a spare key. Basically, when it is first programmed it senses the signal to disable the imbolizer. It then duplicates that signal when you remote start.

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    PKall is only activated when you start with remote start. In all other instances you need to utilize a chipped key to bypass the immobilizer.

I am not sure however, if you can remote start to get the car running, the use a non chipped key at that point to unlock the wheel/etc and maintain the running status. I think you because the immobilizer only works on startup and not periodically during runtime, but dont quote me.

4. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    You will not need a spare key. I believe our trucks use 2 wires for keysense. Like I posted before, when you program the PKALL (which is wired to your steering column) for the first time you have your chipped key in the ignition. You start the truck, a signal is sent to the imobilizer that the correct key is in the ignition. The PKALL picks up this signal and stores it. When you activate the remote start, the PKALL sends that stored signal to the imobilizer and just like that the truck starts. Hope that helps you out.

5. Jul 7, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    Awesome thanks for your responses, those all helped me. I had hoped the answer would be different but at least I know haha. So if I want a second key that will be able to start my truck, say I just walk up to it and don't use the remote start, its going to need to be a chipped key still, generic won't cut it.

Thanks!

6. Jul 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Yes, as far as I know you would need a chipped key to disable the imobilizer. The PKALL just tricks the imobilizer into think the right chip is there.

To Top