1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will Scion Fobs work?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mjullner, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Jul 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    Mjullner

Mjullner [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC TRD S V6 M6
    Hi all, I've been reading up on some of the forums, but this is my first post. My sister bought a TC about a year ago and I was wondering if it's possible to synch a Scion type key fob combo to the truck so I can do without the separate key and fob. I actually need several keys and it looks like I've killed a janitor convention. Anything to streamline that down helps. Any comments would be appreciated.

Side note: I'm still waiting for the actual delivery of my truck, just looking to the horizon for things to do til then.

2. Jul 26, 2009 at 11:17 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Welcome to TW!

Are you asking if 1 fob can be programmed for both the truck & car? I do not think so. I have never heard of 1 fob opening 2 different vehicles.

When I ordered a new fob. I had to order one specific for the Tacoma.

3. Jul 26, 2009 at 11:57 PM
    bk1

bk1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lower Mainland, BC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ProComp Stage 2 6" lift, AAL, Heated Mirrors, DVD/NAV, Amp & Subs, Fog Light Mod, Rear Diff breather. WeatherTech Mats, Soft Tonneau Cover, 33" TrXus M/T, M8000 Winch & Bumper, CB, Rock/suspension Lighting and a whole lot more Soon to come rear Locker and more....
    get an aftermarket alarm (the same one for both cars) and make sure its for a 2nd car feature.. had that for me and my brother. 1 fob could unlock/disarm both cars and less crap in ur pocket :)

The fob had a button sequence for 'changing' from car 1 to car 2 :)

Loved it!!

4. Jul 27, 2009 at 6:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If her scion is the same as mine- The KEY and the FOB are one piece. The part where your fingers grab to turn it is where the buttons are.

That being said-I'm not sure if what you want can be done...I doubt you can get the scion key to work for both cars...You might be able to get a scion key and a new ignition for the truck but I'm not sure...You won't end up with less stuff if you add an alarm.

Do you need to carry all your keys all the time??

5. Jul 27, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    My take was he just wants to use the scion keyfob in place of the tacoma key + seperate fob. Wasn't thinkin he wanted 1 fob to work 2 vehicles.

6. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    Mjullner

Mjullner [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC TRD S V6 M6
    Yep, guess I didn't clarify too well. I'm wanting to replace my Toyo key and fob with a Scion unit, just a big key with the fob built in. Honestly I hadn't ever thought about getting the fob to synch to both vehicles. I figured that since Scion is as different from Toyota as GMC from Chevy, they should probably be able to talk. I wasn't figuring on getting an alarm, there honestly isn't that much crime here, but the remote lock is helpful.

7. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think your only real problem would be getting a scion key cut for the Taco....You might have to get a new key cylinder for the ignition....etc etc...I think...but I'm not really sure.

8. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Does the Scion key have an immobilizer chip and what are the FCC ID numbers? Those are the questions you need to find your answers. Alot of the Accord guys run an Acura switchblade key due to the FCC ID being the same.

9. Jul 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    Mjullner

Mjullner [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC TRD S V6 M6
    Thanks for the info, I'll have to start looking for this tonight.

Products Discussed in

To Top