1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

will switching diff ratio (4'1 for example) noticably effect my speed or acceleration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by ChrisGralnic, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM
    ChrisGralnic

ChrisGralnic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    06 Prunner with AAL and Trd suspension W/lift
    Previous owner used to haul heavy loads, so he put an AAL on it and TRD front suspension with a lift and custom rear suspension for added weight capacity. I recently installed a tow package (Curt with lifetime warranty) So i will definitely see what this thing can handle as far as weight goes.
    I find myself on lots of steep hills with my 2.7. Although its a great-strong engine, hills are not its best friend + I tow a trailer regularly. Will changing diff gears effect my speed but give me more power? If it will negatively effect my speed I might as well just shift down right? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:02 AM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Single Cab Taco!
    EZ Lift/Pro Comp 3" lift. Spacer in front, add a leaf in rear, Bilstien 5100 shocks, TC UCA, 5% Tint all around, Painted all trim to match. Magnaflow muffler dumped, drop in k&n air filter, tinted tail lights
    Change the gears in the rear end not transfer....
    The 4-1 would be talking about the gear ratio in transfer. If you change gears it will pull better but you would be running higher RPM's. I plan on gearing mine but I'm doing it for the off road, bigger tires reason.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. Apr 3, 2013 at 4:47 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    Previous owner used to haul heavy loads, so he put an AAL on it and TRD front suspension with a lift and custom rear suspension for added weight capacity. I recently installed a tow package (Curt with lifetime warranty) So i will definitely see what this thing can handle as far as weight goes.
    I havent had any problems off roading other than the very stiff suspension. My problems are long, steep hills. Keeping it in 4th gets difficult (freeway) and I have to rev high in 3rd if I wanna keep at 65-70

4. Apr 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    IsmellBacon

IsmellBacon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad double cab
    None yet, need to finish the HEEP first
  5. Apr 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Skinkwerks armor and a lot of other stuff!
    You put Prunner in your info, is your Tacoma a Pre-runner then? If so you already have 4.10's in the diffs. The easiest way to know if to count you lugs. Since you are a 4 cyl, if you are a 5 lug you have 3.31's if manual and 3.58's if auto, if you are a 6 lug then you have 4.10's.

Oh and to answer your question. Yes you will have a lot more power with lower gears. I went to 4.88's and I have no complaints. It pulls hard now!:D But I also have the V6.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  6. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    Its a 6 lug. How did the change affect your gas milage? What about freeway driving? How's that? Rpms at 65? What are they?

7. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    I just did about a 1000 mile round trip to CO from ID and I averaged 17-18 mpg and that was setting the cruise for 5mph over, so I was doing 80mph for half the trip and 70mph through the hills and such. I was impressed still so regearing didn't seem to hurt my mileage at all.

I run about 2400rpm at 65mph but I am also on 33" tires and have a different overdrive gear ratio than you.

8. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    Yeah you're in a v6. My 4banger has no overdrive. Unless you consider 5th gear overdrive. At 65 I am at exactly 2500 revs. At 3000 I am at 80. So for every 500 revs in 5th I gain 15 mph. My truck gets horrible gas milage anything over 75. Probably cause the lift fucks with aerodynamics a bit.

9. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Oh yeah... forgot you were a manual... That would make your rpm a lot higher than mine. Your 5th gear is an overdrive though. Anything high geared than 1:1 is overdrive. My 5th is 0.716:1 and your 5th is 0.85:1 or 0.84:1 can't remember for sure. Both of our 4th gears are 1:1 though.

10. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    I'd like eventually to change my gearing to be a little closer. I feel like 3rd and 4th on mine are so far apart from eachother. 4th gear is my save gas gear :p I'll cruise down the road at 40 in 4th at about 1400 revs.

To Top