1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will Toyota ever build a bigger torque engine?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by shell waster, May 17, 2019.

1. May 17, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    A single Ram truck weights over two tons...(jk), but I believe that some Germans would want one.

Probably driven more by a fascination with American culture than an actual need for a big pickup.

From the outside looking in, there is lots to be admired about "our thing", imo.

Aldo98229[QUOTED] and tonered like this.
  2. May 17, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I did appreciate climbing up passes in our turbo cars. They were killer there. I also remember our NA Dodge dropping torque like crazy climb up to the continental divide. Just a fact of life. But then, I look back at a trip that I took with my cousins in their Type II Westy AT. Floored in 2nd gear doing barely 40mph to get over a 3,500ft summit. Hilarious, but 100% worth it when we got to our camping spot.

I can see myself being happy crawling along in 4th and am content with the Taco so much more than any full size that I have ever driven.

boynoyce and 0xDEADBEEF[QUOTED] like this.
  3. May 17, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Atley45

Atley45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think people have totally unrealistic expectations about how quickly engine technology will progress.

Hybrid solutions are certainly possible, but we're a ways off before we see that tech being incorporated into traditional/reliable truck platforms.

EV's are even further off....quite a few hurdles to overcome in terms of range, reliability and recharge logistics.

Internal combustion engine tech (both gasoline and diesel) has actually seen quite a bit of innovation over the last 10 years....i don't think the major OEM's are anywhere close to shifting away from those designs, despite all the predictions that EV production will takeover in the immediate future.

Acceleration is just fine with a diesel, at least one that is designed for a truck application. If you're truly concerned about having the fastest 0-60 times, get a 3.5l ecoboost raptor or, better yet, get a sportscar. It's not as if the current Tacoma's acceleration is all that great to begin with. Noise and harshness is a thing of the past..newer diesels are much more refined than the older ones. Except for a slightly more noticeable engine rumble, a lot of people can't tell the difference between a diesel and gasoline engine. I also don't know how someone could be picky about an inline 4 diesel's noise when the Tacoma's current 3.5l v6 has to rev sky-high to make any practical power.

The fact is there is a growing demand for better torque delivery and mpg's within the truck market. Some people just want a gasoline truck to daily drive and overtake traffic going 80mph on the highway, for which gasoline is perfectly suited. Some people want better low-end torque for towing/hauling and going and better range for going on long distance trips, for which diesel is better suited. Toyota has plenty of diesel engines which would meet that demand. As well, there are domestic companies which have emissions compliant designs.

There is no lack of demand, or lack of options to satisfy that demand. It's just a matter of whether or not Toyota is willing to take that leap. Personally, I'd gladly take Toyota's 2.8l inline 4 diesel over the 3.5l v6 gasoline currently offered in the Tacoma; yeah, the horsepower won't knock your socks off, but that is more than made up for by the low-end grunt and fuel efficiency.

tonered likes this.
  4. May 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    5.7L TUNDRA

5. May 17, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    walterj

walterj Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA, USA
    Vehicle:
    Sexy Black '17 Taco 4x4 DCSB TRD Off-Road 6MT
    The real question is - is it possible to swap a 4.7L from the 1st gen tundra into a Tacoma and keep it a manual and 4x4?

I know the 4.7 mates to a supra trans. I know the 4x4 bits from the Tundra are plentiful in junkyards... and the answer is probably no but IMO, as a former Gen1 Tundra owner... it would be a peeerrrrrrrfect midsize with that motor.

Junkhead and 02Duck like this.
  6. May 17, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    It's going to be a version of the TT 2GR found in the LS500. That will be the top engine. I'm hearing the 5.7 is done. And since the 4.6 and 5.7 V8s are modular...then I would think it would be safe to assume the 4.6 will disappear as well. If that happens, not sure what the base engine will be

7. May 17, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    sakibomb

sakibomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 6MT
    Dual Batteries Blue Sea Fuse Panel
    The next engine will probably be a smaller displacement turbo and it will have more torque than the 3.5L.

They might be hearing about the powertrain gripes, but competitive market??

TacoMamba35[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 17, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    Atley45

Member:
    That's pretty much the new inline-4 Ecoboost Ford put into the new Ranger. On paper it looks decent enough; it prioritizes torque over outright horsepower.

We'll see how it fares over the longterm. The early 3.5l v6 ecoboosts had their fare share of troubles.

Also, the mpg advantages are largely negated with real world driving conditions. In fact, I think one magazine has already done a direct comparison between the Ranger and Tacoma (3.5l v6) and found the latter was slightly more efficient.

I truly think that if engine technology development continues at its current pace, someone, somewhere will find a way to further optimize the diesel (perhaps even hybridize it) and that will be the golden ticket for those who want better torque and better mpg's. The turbo gasoline engines can give your torque or mpg's, but they can't give you both at the same time.

tonered likes this.
  9. May 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    sakibomb

sakibomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 6MT
    Dual Batteries Blue Sea Fuse Panel
    I personally prefer a diesel, but regulations are already making it too costly, and you know we can expect tighter regulations in the future. I think we will end up electric (eventually) which will have gobs of torque

cruxofthebisquit likes this.
  10. May 17, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    Atley45

Member:
    The big OEM's and engine-makers have already made great strides in meeting and exceeding those regulations. I think people don't quite understand how much R&D companies have been conducting on all fronts, not just hybrid and EV tech.

An EV truck would be great due to the instantaneous torque...but there are lot of unknowns and hurdles that still need to be addressed. For all the hype and media articles, Tesla is having trouble selling simple EV cars, and EV trucks haven't really gained any traction yet...and when they do, it will likely be for short-range urban/suburban commuting and transport duties.

02Duck likes this.
  11. May 17, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    Notice that didn't stay long. Not only did it not bleed over to the Tacoma, they killed it.

tonered and shakerhood like this.
  12. May 17, 2019 at 1:34 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    We make nearly all the diesel for Europe. The Valero refinery in Port Arthur TX was designed to take the high bitumen oil from Canada via the Keystone pipeline and refine it to diesel for Europe. Too dirty for us to use.
    It's not the only one exporting, there's a reason these places on on the coast.
    It used to illegal to export crude FROM the US, but never has been against the rules to export final product, it's always been that way.

Brostjoe likes this.
  13. May 17, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    TacoMamba35

TacoMamba35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 3.5
    I'm definitely not an expert on mid-size truck battle figures. Maybe it isn't competitive at the moment. But in general, every auto maker will continue to refine their tech and "borrow" features from other auto makers. We all know that in the mid-size truck segment, the Tacoma is the one being borrowed from the most. For example - when the current gen of the Colorado/Canyon first came out, the first thing I said (about the double cab version) was, "Wow, that looks a lot more like a Tacoma now..." Same thing with the new Ranger - it seems like everything Ford designed was done while muttering the phrase "How can we 1-up the Tacoma?"

It is inevitable that the segment will get more and more competitive over time. I'm just saying the best way for the Tacoma to stay on top is to keep their long-standing reputation of having a solid, durable, and most importantly - LIKEABLE - powertrain!

14. May 17, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    ninernation

ninernation Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    TRDOR
    OME, ALUCAB, RCI
    Fixed.

jmauvais likes this.
  15. May 17, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    I doubt it. Most manufacturers tend to derate their engines if used for truck applications to improve longevity of the engines.

16. May 17, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    sounds like you want a diesel, go buy a duramax and live a happy life with all 960lbtq

17. May 17, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    I call bullshit. I tow 8K regularly with my Tundra with 5.7L. It pulls it fine. Depends on loading if you need bags or not. Get a WD hitch.

18. May 17, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    Jaymes

Jaymes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lloydminster Saskatchewan Canada
    Had a Hummer H3T Alpha with the 5.3, can confirm it'll pull like a beast......when you're not in the shop replacing sensors or airbags.

TD90S and Junkhead like this.
  19. May 17, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    Aldo98229

Aldo98229 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aldo
    Bellingham, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Indeed. In many ways, the old large American sedan survives as the modern full-size pickup: body-on-frame, V8 engine, rear leaf springs, quiet ride, room for six in total comfort.

cruxofthebisquit and shakerhood like this.
  20. May 17, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS

Yeah, from sea to shining sea.

Cheers

Aldo98229[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top