1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will Toyota ever integrate technology like Ford has done?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Feb 16, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Beyond bluetooth and backup cameras, Toyota has not really integrated the latest technology into their vehicles.

GM has OnStar...Ford has MyTouch...do you think Toyota will join the revolution and add some heavy technology to their future lineups?

2. Feb 16, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    antatich

antatich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    Ready lift SST w/ 2 inch blocks, 33x12.50R17 Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, 1.25" Billet Spacers, Tinted Windows, DDM tuning HID Headlights and Foglights, N-Fab Side Bars, N-Fab Light Bar, 4 Hella 500FF, JL Amp, 12" shallow Mount Sub
    If it's something like the OnStar system that'd be fine. The whole my Touch thing according to some of the service customers has had its issues. The way they have explained to me is kind of a love hate relationship. I personally think the toyota's are fine with the backup cameras, bluetooth, upgraded stereos, and navigation.

3. Feb 16, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Hoping not because when it doesn't work, all you'll get from corporate is...it is inherent to the vehicle or it's supposed to not work that way or some other lame sword swallowin shit. They have enough trouble with the simple stuff. I say people who want all that shit should bring it with them and plug it into the pwr outlet or hang it on themselves. I don't need any reasons for simple transportation to near home prices any more than they have.

4. Feb 16, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Man I hope not. I don't want a truck that can be remotely started/stopped by someone else not to mention one that can check facebook status. Having said that I'm sure they will at some point. It's just the way the world is going. Everyone can be connected no matter where they are.

5. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I hope not. I work in the software business and I know how complicated that stuff can get and how hard problems are to resolve. The simpler the better. If I wanted all of that crap I'd have bought a car or truck that had it.

6. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    walleyeguy

walleyeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB TRD OR Auto MGM
    They are, it's called entune.

I started a thread on TW with some links to articles about entune:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/131844-toyotas-entune.html

7. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    Its just more crap to FAIL. I would not mind roll down windows to tell the truth but I am an old bum so thats me. they have integrated a very nice backup camera system, I wish my model had it, and may add it if I can in the future. How much 'technology" do you need when driving in traffic? That may be the reason for more wrecks on the road, yea there are less casualties now but thats just because cars are safer, with airbags and such. I am happy with the Tech thats in place and would not want much more, if people want GPS and touch screens they sell them at Best Buy. I can control an Ipod through my factory radio and thats plenty good for most. they have brought in things like A-Trac and the rear camera (which is better than most IMO).

8. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    +1 LOL this is the dumbest feature ever. Whoever thought that it was a safe/good idea to let someone be able to check facebook while driving?

Personally, I've only used the Sync system in my friend's 2009 F-150, and I'd love to have it. It was awesome.

9. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    gawd i sincerely hope not.

just something else that's prohibitively expensive to fix when it breaks and/or an unnecessary additional monthly expense for subscriptions in many cases (like satellite radio and OnStar satellite services) at any rate.

10. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    LMAO- This thread just days after someone else was complaining there is too much new fangled shit in the Tacoma and not enuf of the basics.

Just goes to show you there is NO manufacturer of anything that can make EVERYONE happy.

11. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I'm happy with my roll up windows, manual locks, manual tranny/clutch, usb flash drive to stock stereo, full length gas pedal & no sudden unintended acceleration :D

12. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    I thought the same thing when I read this thread. I have worked for Toyota since the early 80's our biggest complaint back then with the straight axle 4X4 was it rode like a truck. :p

entune is here
    Entune™ is a revolutionary in-car experience that keeps you and your Toyota connected. It’s never been easier. Just download the Entune™ mobile app to applicable phones, and you can access a variety of in-car applications from your phone. You can control the applications by using the touch screen or voice commands (Bing only at launch). Entune™ will be available as an option on select models this year.

http://www.toyota.com/entune/

Telematics is offered in the 2010 Land Cruiser.
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-land-cruiser-adds-new-safety-102468.aspx?ncid=12073

13. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Werd

14. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i assume they will just to keep up with everyone. i agree its more shit to fail but i wouldnt mind/care it they do.just expect the price of the tacoma to keep going way up

15. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    The real question to me is: will Ford or GM ever make a nice, reliable vehicle that will go 300 000 miles w/ minimal maintenance the way Toyota has done? ;)

I'll check my voicemail after I get there. :p

16. Feb 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    crazyman

crazyman Not bothered....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DC/SB TRD/OR V6 Auto, Magnetic Gray
    Does Plasti-Dip count as a mod ?
    There are lots of aftermarket options. Factory stuff isn't always best.
    And for me, all that tech can get in the way of actually driving ones car or truck.

17. Feb 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    Ford and chevy have to put that shit in there cars or they wont sell! Its there big selling point! Toyota does'nt need a selling pitch like that bullshit!:D

18. Feb 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Our sienna has toyota's onstar on it.

19. Feb 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    i dont know about everyone else i would like to have something like onstar or whatever as a safety factor. i couldnt see every other car man. have something like that and toyota not. i would look for it on upcoming models

20. Feb 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    in short, yes.

nothing is out there to slow the addition of syncronized voice, data, gps, entertainment, you-name-it features.

(wish I could find the link / remember where) i read where everyone is rolling out systems similar to sync and or scrambling to get industry partnerships for same

they'll eventually be "standard" or put in with some package

on star will be selling aftermarket ad on systems for nearly all modern vehicle modles pretty soon as well

Products Discussed in

To Top