1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch for hire?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by LonghornTaco, Jan 13, 2009.

?

Do you winch people that are stuck?

1. Hell yeah, it pays for all my mods!

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Yes, and I charge a nominal fee

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Yes, I help people out of the goodness of my heart

65 vote(s)
    80.2%
  4. No, too much liability

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. No, just too lazy....

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Jan 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    Tacoma02TRD

Tacoma02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Walla Walla WA/ Klamath Falls OR
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    3inch Revtech lift,Flowmaster Muffler, K&N cold air intake, 33x12.5 Maxxis Bighorns, TRD stock locker, Hella 500 Fog lights, Scanguage II, 6k HIDs, Painted Black Rims
    I don't have a winch on my truck but I tend to pull people out when there stuck. When it snowed in town I pulled my brother's Chevy Blazer out of the bank after he got high centered on his spare tire:p. On the way up to the ski hill I've pulled quite a few people out of the ditch. They've all been great full, I just :) at them and tell them to have a good day on the hill and to slow it down a little next time. I would say I do it out of the goodness of my heart and if they feel like paying me then all the better:D

2. Jan 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I pulled out a 2wd drive taco out of the sand. There was a Titan trying to pull him out but couldn't. This was off the road of a busy highway too! No one stops anymore. Turns out the guy was deaf. I'd want someone to pull me out if I was stuck. BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!

3. Jan 16, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I dont have a winch yet but I've pulled a few people out with a strap. I once pulled a guy's broken down Ford Super duty off a busy street where there was no room to park into a parking lot so he'd at least be out of traffic until he could get help. He was real grateful and said he didn't have much but he insisted i take 5 bucks from him as a thank you.
    Basically I'll just do it for someone if its not a real tough job, but i'll always take a "donation" if they insist.

4. Jan 17, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I don't pull people out being that I do not have a winch on my truck and no 4wd. Although, I had the last pickup pulled out of a nasty situation by attaching a chain to the rear hitch and lifting+dragging the truck out with a 345D CAT excavator... Quite a site to see, the bucket on the 345 was as wide and long as the truck bed!

5. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Tried to pull an old man back in December when we had all that snow.
    He had successfully gotten out of his driveway and to the top of the hill, but stopped at the stop sign before the main road, so he lost all momentum. Obviously not knowing how to drive in snow, he had also decided to pull into the snowbank to help initiate the right turn he thought he was going to make.
    I hopped out with my steel braided cable (I can only buy so many things at a time, guys), but the guy had no tow hooks in the front - at all. He had one little one on the back, but I wasn't about to pull him down the hill and have him bash into my rear.
    I spent some time telling him to remove his handicap placard so he could see out the front window :)crazy:) and try rocking the vehicle, but all he could do is sit there gunning the pedal.
    Finally got a guy passing by with a shovel. The driver practically drove over the shovel and the shoveler (kept gunning the engine as the guy was shoveling).

Dad tried to tow a guy once, but as he started hooking up, the guy said, "If anything happens to my car, I'm holding you responsible!!" Dad unhooked, bowed, and drove away from the screaming man :cool:

You K Falls guys watch out - a few years ago there was a guy who was broke down on the side of the road on 97. A passing tow truck came to help. The stuck guy shot the tow truck driver, drove the tow truck to the truck stop (it's called Amy's or something... the one by the Super 8). He entered the diner, and shot himself in the head.

6. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    See, this is the kind of stuff that worries me if I wanted to be a good citizen and help others... Safety, liability, etc...

7. Jan 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Its "Mollies" truck stop....all i can say is Damn:eek:

8. Jan 19, 2009 at 10:59 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    God now I feel senile. At least I haven't forgot about Starvn' Marvin or Wubba's.

I ate there the weekend after the incident, too.

9. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:41 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Derail in 3.....2.....1
    I've seen(though never been to) Starvin' Marvin's but whats Wubba's? never heard of it. What/were is it?

10. Jan 20, 2009 at 3:07 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    I don't have a winch but I think it's bad karma to charge. My mom had a flat in the dead of winter about 4 years ago and an off duty firefighter stopped to change it for her. She still to this day drops off bakery and candy to him at the fire station 2 or 3 times a year. My $.02: You get what you give!

My question is, I could understand pulling out other vehicles like trucks that have obvious tow points but how the hell do you pull out cars where there is no place to attach the strap/winch? I could see some people whining about damage.

11. Jan 20, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Some of the smarter built cars have at least a single front and rear tow hook. It's one of the things I look for on a car when buying when I need ot compare stuff.

If they don't have a tow point, you say goodbye, because there's nothing to do.

If you eat at Starvin' Marvin's, you better have a hell of an appetite. Portions are enormous.
    Wubba's is near the Thunderbird grocery. Small little BBQ joint, makes some good stuff.

12. Jan 21, 2009 at 3:01 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    Thank you Timmer . . . i guess if you're going to look for these attachment points on a car that's stuck (most likely in the snow for me), you'll need to pack a "snow suit" in the truck.

13. Jan 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    Offroad I always help, but when people are spun out in the snow on the hwy it usually depends on how much time I've got, and how much traffic there is, not trying to get hit while helping someone out. As far as taking money, offroad I wouldn't think of it, but on the street I sure won't say no.

14. Jan 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    I imagine I would do the same. Last time I came across some (other) college kids that got themselves stuck, it was a 3/4 ton Dodge and they were stuck in a mudhole WAY off to the side of the main road. So we (me and Taconut) gave one of the guys a ride to where we could get some cell service and let them get one of their buddies to get them out.

Too much liabilty... For the Tacoma!

15. Jan 29, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    Racinkid13

Racinkid13 Problem Child

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD debadged and beaten
    many
    Ive helped out a few people during the snow season.

16. Jan 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    I pull people out all the time (or atleast did back when i could afford to drive LOL) if they offer cash I accpet but i never ask for it... one time I pulled a crew cab f350 4x4 out of a snow bank with about 7 mexican guys in it.. they all started handing me like $5's and 10's... lol I made around $90... all i did was lock their hubs in for them and give little pull with tacoma

17. Jan 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    helped pull a guy out today that was stuck. didn't have a recovery point so we wrapped the strap around the frame of his truck.)

what do you guys to whenever a vehicle that needs to get yanked out doesn't have a easily accessable recovery point? same thing I did? I noticed the top layer started to come apart, probably from snagging on rough edges. any products out there that could be wrapped around the frame, then the strap attached to to prevent damage to the strap?

18. Jan 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Like I said, I carry around a length of braided cable - kind of like the stuff you see that goes from the ground to the top of an electrical pole - with eyelets at either end. You could try a small bit of that I guess.

The car I tried to help had a plastic skid plate that covered every last thing you could imagine. If it came down to me really needing to tow him, he would be SOL.

19. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    MCSquaredEqually

MCSquaredEqually Member

Member:
    Windsor ON
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota SR5
    Upgraded 4 wire Trailer Plug to 7 Wire, Front box Rack,
    I am cautious, but will usually stop to help. I haven't had to pull anyone out, but since I'm only running a 4cyl 2wd it would have to be an easy pull.

I had one incident where I was walking by a Ford Ranger that was stuck. It was on the side of the street, and we had got about 3-6" of snow. He was sitting there with his wheels cranked all the way spinning his tires. I got him to straighten out his tires and pushed him out.

I was driving a Cavalier at the time. I had no troubles that day.

20. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    My roommate went out 2 winters ago and pulled people out for like 4 hours. He came home with almost $100 from people who insisted he take it. He went out this last winter and got stuck himself on I-70 for almost 5 hours. I don't know if he'll be feelin' it next year. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top