1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch Questions

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by singlefin, Jan 21, 2010.

?

Which Winch

Poll closed Feb 4, 2010.
  1. Superwinch Rock95

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. Superwinch EPi9.0s

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Warn with syn line

30 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I'm really trying to understand what they hell he was doing??????? and how he got the roller to do that hahahahah.

2. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Do you think it's covered under warranty? :)

3. Jan 23, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Here's an example of the different pulling rates at different layers...
    tn_CIMG0593_e891397a2a1bd3aea9bbec2ee52126b1752b46fb.jpg

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    yep i think i posted one for a Warn in my winching thread every one should have theirs, they are easy to get to. just google em. I keep mine laminated on a ID size card. but then again I try to be crazy exact when it comes to winching. Its part of my job and i like to use the formula so as to waste no time or unnecessary energy and rigging.

you also have to think that the more snatch blocks you put in even if they are not necessary will require less force from your winch which will keep you on the lighter side of the pulling chart which will require less amps from your battery. just another thing for people to think about.

5. Jan 23, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Makes me think you've done recovery work! You sir have made some great contribution to this board - thank you!!!

6. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I think this needs to be here too... a chinese manufacturer that makes winches - to my knowlege they make Smittybilt, T-Max, Bull Dog, Mile Maker... I'm sure many others. Having been a supplier to Truck, Car, Bus, Farm Equip, Construction Equipment, etc, we used to manufacture many different brands - it would always be funny to see someone saying one was better than the other when in our case, they were the exact same part!!! ;)

http://www.ld-winch.cn/4wd_winch.htm

7. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    you are definitely right about that. it happens all the time:)

8. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    This is true and of course the practice that has always been taught but remember that when your winch is at its most powerful it is also going to be pulling more amps from the battery. there are easier ways to get more power and stay at the low end of the amp draw like a snatch block.

remember that just because youre line is run out to the last layer does not mean youre winch is pulling at it's best. what it pulls is based on the weight of the actually recovered vehicle. so dont go pulling all your line out just because you want more power, it may not even be necessary:)

going to the next layer or two only ads a few hundered lbs of pull each layer any ways and i would think that a couple layers could get you one more snatch block which would double your winches pull, adding 1000's of lbs of force to your winch.

1/9500

2/8650

3/7920

4/7400

5/6940

This is for a Warn 9.5ti

if i was recovering a load that requuired 9000lbs of pull, typically you would jsut pay out all your line right? NO!!!! Paying out your line to about the 3rd layer and adding a snatch block will give you 7920 X 2= 15840 so why pay it all out?????

Obviously how close you can even get to the load that needs recovering may show that to even add a block you would be paid out to the last layer anyways but situation dictates. just want to clear it up so we dont have Novices out there paying all thier line out EVERY time they need to recover :)

Dont for get respooling sucks so it is nice to have extensions like Timmer noted. and it will allow you to use snatch blocks while having the greatest amount of wraps on the drum thus leaving those perfectly wrapped layers still on the drum. Also the 5th layer (or the 1st layer depending on how you want to look at it) pulls 6940 so if i can use an extension and stay at that layer or the 4th one and add a snatch block then i am actually pulling 13880-14800 lbs. so why even pay all my line out?????? jsut something for you to think about.

9. Jan 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ok, so say I am stuck. I have 100' of synthetic rope. Say the nearest tree is 30' away from me. What would I do? I am reading that you want little rope on the drum left, so would I want to use a snatch block and run the rope back to my truck? Essentially using 60'? Or would I just Attach it to the tree, using a tree saver of course? Sorry if its a stupid question, new to winches.

10. Jan 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    Real world - you pull out 30' and pull yourself out.

Theoretical world - pull out 60' and use a snatch block.

I am a mechanical engineer trying to live in the real world.

11. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Opinions, opinions - some very good advice here.

If nothing else this is a GREAT thread to get people to learn how really to use a winch. I have the same birth defect as Brett - Aero/Mech Engr education - Which certainly may give me an understanding of the physics behind it but it would certainly help me to go to GjBonner School of Muck and Mire. Just like putting your hands at 3 & 9 on the steering wheel - we sometimes think we know better - and when it comes to a cable flying at my head, I would probably be much better off being Safe rather than potentially sorry.

Thanks for the good posts.

12. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ok, thanks guys. I am planning on getting a winch when I get my bumper, but have never used one. This is all helpful info. I really didnt have a scenario, but that helped alot.

13. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    The thing my dad taught me to do before I do any winching -

"OPEN THE HOOD"

If the cable snaps it has to go through the hood before it goes through the windshield.

14. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    And thats where synthetic line comes in.... There isn't too much to worry about when the rope will just fall to the ground after a failure.

15. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    it would have to be a perfect hit to get through the windshield because it will likely hit it with a whipping action not straight in like a knife and will take up a good amount of surface area on impact. windshields are tough but it is still possible. but there is a real easy fix to this...hang a weight of sorts over the line when winching. it will help keep it towards the ground if there is a failure. however if your using a snatch block off a natural anchor point then you could be making a sling shot should the natural anchor point fail:) but that will be the least of your worries with a snatch block flying through the air:eek:

16. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Wow! The bubba school of recovery. :rolleyes:

17. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    hahha yeah thats what tow straps are for!!! but I rest my case with the whipping action thing. even if the hook got all the way through it wouldnt have had much force left.

I like how that old guy was standing way to close and could have got killed himself. then he pulls the hook out and says "you know how they say a winch cable can kill ya" hahahahahaha he even knew better:)

18. Jan 29, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    that would have been the best, a big red welt or something hahahaha would have been a great end to that clip.

But yes i hear ya definitely when it comes to safety Ropes win hands down!

19. Jan 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    This shackle might have helped.

big shackle.jpg

20. Jan 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I wish I could find the x-ray of my brother's crushed skull when a small strand of a tug boat cable slapped my brother's head... If that wouldn't drive the point home, I don't know what would! :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top