1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch Questions

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by singlefin, Jan 21, 2010.

?

Which Winch

Poll closed Feb 4, 2010.
  1. Superwinch Rock95

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. Superwinch EPi9.0s

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Warn with syn line

30 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i have an arb bull bar coming to me to mount up on m regular cab and i was told to look into warn winches as arb build the bumper around the geometry of warns winches.

the reason being is that if i choose another brand of winch it would require modification to make it fit into my bumper. is this true and what are my options for a nice winch that will last and not kill my bank account?

for now i want to stick with steel cable, but i also need to keep the price as reasonable as possible for the winch itself i need a non integrated warn 9500 winch.

who might have the best price on such a set-up? besides the search button lol

2. Jul 22, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I got my warn xd9000 from warn itself on the refurbished program. I tried looking up the link a few weeks ago and couldnt find it. Maybe someone else will have the link. I paid like $650 for a $1200 winch

3. Jul 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    ATriplett513

ATriplett513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cb, 4x4, 4.0L, 6-speed
    I have personally owned a Bulldog 9.5k (Local AZ company) with a steel cable and a Warn 9.5xp w/ syn line. A few things to keep in mind, if you ever think you'll have to run your cable along rocks, a problem encountered in AZ, get a steel cable, a syn line will snap (like touching a knife to a rope under load). For every other situation, syn lines are awesome.

They're extremely light and most are very durable. Best part, if they snap, they don't retain the energy exerted on them an they simply fall to the ground; steel cable sounds like a small explosive and then it can literally cut a man in half (rare, but scary to even consider).

Also, Bulldog is about 1/2 the price of Warn, or at least they were, and they both both just as well and just as dependably. Warns will almost always be faster because of their planetary gear setup (172ish:1 ratio instead of BDog's 292ish:1). Superwinch is also a good deal, that's what the military uses and trusts. If you go with a good name brand, you won't go wrong and whether you choose steel or syn line is up to you and your application.

Just make sure you get the right lead, smooth lead for syn and a cable roller fairlead for steel.

4. Jul 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    hawse makes a smooth fairlead for steel cable...i have one on my truck

as for the winch, you get what you pay for when it comes to winches no such thing as a "high quality" cheap winch. it doesnt work like that with winches. Warn is quality all the way. i got the 9.5 ti warn winch. got it for 950 brand new after a mail in rebate. i went to this site... http://www.gowarn.com/

5. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Incorrect. You have more options, as stated in this thread already.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is you can also get a delrin roller fairlead which works great for synthetic line. There's a marginal weight loss, but the real benefit is that the rollers can't develop harmful burrs. Note that delrin rollers aren't the cheapest thing, though!

Products Discussed in

To Top