1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wind & Highway Speeds

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by A7XTaco, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:51 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...

This truck was bad. I drive 40,000+ miles a year... My own vehicles, rentals, co-workers trucks... I've never driven a pickup that handled as bad as this one. Hell, my 84 f150 handled better.

The shocks made the difference though. The old ones didn't seem bad for 100,000 miles on them, but I guess this truck just likes stiff.

2. Dec 27, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Dbl Cab TRD T/X Pro
    6" Pro Comp Suspension lift with Pro Comp leveling kit, Bilstein 5100's, Full leather interior with seat heaters, Go Rhino step bars, Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM and Blutooth, Tonopro toneau cover, Tinted windows, Black mesh grille, Projector headlights with HID lows, HID fogs, Crystal Eyes rear LED taillights, Weathertech mats front and rear
    Yeah, these things get moved in the wind. Out doing the visiting thing over the weekend with the girlfriend. While driving the highway at speed limit, I almost had the truck blown out of my hand and into the median. It moved probably a good 5-10' from the fast lane to the left shoulder. That was a 3 second heart attack. I had a firm grip on the wheel after that.

3. Dec 27, 2010 at 5:18 AM
    Papa Tac

Papa Tac Adjunct Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Tac
    Codroy Valley, Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Ned Ludd Edition
    Pupped my ride - Dog bench, Black stock rims, Tail Gate antitheft mod, Bed storage and sleeping platform, Action Cap w/Yakima rack and Rola basket, Seatbelt chime off, Tentasaurus
    Stock '10 Tacoma 4x4 VS Wreckhouse winds 70-80knots (ie 150kmh)
    No contest.
    Take the Scooby.
    Don't get me wrong, I Luuuuuv my Taco, but when it comes to cross winds over 60mph (100kmh), I opt for my '05 Impreza with unstudded winter tires. Its a tank in the snow, and handles Hurricane force winds like a warm breath on your privat... face.

See my post here for Wreckhouse pics
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...33-breakfast-club-thread-727.html#post2481169

[​IMG]

4. Dec 27, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    It's the body roll changing the front independent geometry....cross winds make the body roll as well as pushing for a compound effect. If you can get an alignment to eliminate it my guess is it would be prone to heavy oversteer and super dangerous in curves...especially when you put some weight in back.

Taco's have no sway bar in the rear and the front one is pretty small for the size of the truck. Adding a rear sway bar helps a lot and a beefier front one even more. IMO, these are pretty much essential to include in suspension mods if putting something tall like a camper in the bed.

However, as with most mods there are trade offs: they limit articulation for serious off-road and rock crawling. It all depends on which you want to optimize for.

5. Dec 27, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Or a 53' wood chip trailer with the top completely open and a opossum belly floor that almost touches the ground. Caught a recorded 116 mph gust on the Oregon coast that put me up on one side, only to ease off and slam me back down on the roadway, snapping steering axle leaf springs and blowing out tires, me bashing my head against the glass in the cab and my lunchbox and alum log book flying over to pummel me. lucky to be here typing.

Small pickups get buffeted pretty good, just do to the lightweight nature and mass side area. weight in the bed and a good 6+ ply tire helps to dampen some of that buffeting, but it's still there. Can't beat mother nature, but you can try.

Products Discussed in

To Top