1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wind noise and drag

Discussion in 'PrInSu Design Studio' started by bshammer0, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Mar 4, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    Updated 4/3/17: Initially, I was quite frustrated at the loud roar and drag I was getting once I installed my Cabrac on my 3rd gen. With some work, I have now been able to dramatically reduce the wind noise to the extent I barely can tell the rack is there in most conditions (except for high winds).

Here are some things to try if you install your rack and find the wind noise a problem.

-Ensure the wind deflector is in the lowest position (bottom two holes)
    -Make sure you have the rubber weather strip that goes on the bottom of the deflector and that it is flush with your cab
    -Move your first bar behind the deflector back a few inches (or in my case, I removed the first bar as the remaining bars are plenty for my needs)
    -Triple check that your rack in squared up properly, and that your wind deflector is completely flush with it's bar - failure to do this may result in whistling.
    -Buy up to 30 t-slot covers from Amazon and cut to 47". I initially bought a few, and then ended up ordering more to cover up all unused T-slots on my rack. Pay special attention to the bar holding the deflector and cover all 3 sides - a lot of air catches this bar even with the deflector on the lowest position. With the wind deflector in the lowest position, it does allow for some air to hit the bars in the rear and, for me, this still caused a bit of vibration. By covering the t-slots on the front, top, and bottom of all bars, this vibration has disappeared altogether.
    -Cover up any unused holes in the front such as top two unused holes for the deflector. These caused some whistling / howling for me until covered.

My wind noise now is 75% reduced from when I initially installed by rack and is now in line with the small amount of wind I would expect to hear from any rack solution. Hopefully this edit helps some others to ensure a clean install with a quiet ride in your Taco!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. Mar 4, 2017 at 6:08 PM
    Joethebugman

Joethebugman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    '17 Trd OR DBCLB
    Not what I wanted to hear. Lol. Following along.

bigshane likes this.
  3. Mar 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    I will be responding to your email later when I have time to do a full response but the first things to do are shift the wind deflector down to the lowest position, and try shifting the front crossbar back a few inches. Those two things should make a pretty drastic difference.

Yesterday was the first time I have had bad wind noise on my rack for a long time and there were 50 MPH head winds. I had all sorts of crazy noises coming from all over the place but there isn't anyway around it in bad winds. Normal driving conditions and you should hear much.

4. Mar 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Thanks Zach - will try and report back. i don't expect it to be silent by any means but figured there was something that needed to be tweaked since I hear so many great reports on here from other 3rd gen cabrac owners. Thanks again for your help

DaveEli likes this.
  5. Mar 9, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    UPDATE: Moving the wind deflector down to the lowest position such that the weather strip is extremely snug + moving the first bar back about 5-6" made a significant difference in wind drag and noise. I haven't had it above 65 or so just yet so can't speak for 75-80mph highway speeds, but can already tell a huge difference. Have ordered the T-Slot covers as well to further help with any wind noise and vibration that may be encountered at higher speeds.

Solid rack. Just needs a bit of fine tuning ;)

sdpnoy, MadDaddy, Greco and 2 others like this.
  6. Mar 9, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    DaveEli

DaveEli Well- Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport 4X4
    Icon Extended Travel Coilovers, King 700lb springs, All-Pro Expo leaf springs, All-pro U-Bolt flip kit, Icon 2.0 Series custom length rear shocks, Wheelers Superbump Bumpstops, All-Pro extended rear brake lines, Warn 86255 VR10000 10,000 lb winch, Warn 90287 wireless remote, Redline Hood Struts, AVS Bugflector II, Pelfreybilt front bumper with Rigid 92031 SR- Series White 20" Spot/Flood lightbar, Brute Force rear bumper with short swingarm, Famous Fabrication Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Skid Plates, Rigid 50231 D2 Driving Lights, Rigid 20221 Dually Spotlights, Rigid 98000 SR-M backup lights, ARB CKMTA12 "12V"on-board twin high performance air compressor, Dick Cepek DC-2 17x9" wheels, 285/70R17 Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar tires, Wet Okole seat covers,Airflow snorkle, ARE CX HD cap, Front Runner Slimline II cap rack, TRD cat back exhaust, AVS in channel window vents, Toyota door sill protectors, Pop & Lock tailgate lock, Husky Rear floorliners, WeatherTech Front Floorliners, DeeZee bed mat, Window tint, TRD drop in air filter, Plasmaglow led bed lights, Hi-Lift jack mounted on bed rail, IMMRYO Rear View Mirror Relocate, ARB 63 Quart fridge freezer, Arb ARB209 Snatch Block, ARB ARB730US 3" x 10' Tree saver, ARB ARB705US 2-3/8" x 30' recovery strap, Bubba Rope 7/8" x 30' original rope 28600 lbs, Bubba Rope Gator Jaw soft shackle 7/16.
    Where are you getting the t-slot covers?

fatfurious2 likes this.
  7. Mar 9, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    MadDaddy and DaveEli[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Mar 9, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    DaveEli

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport 4X4
    Icon Extended Travel Coilovers, King 700lb springs, All-Pro Expo leaf springs, All-pro U-Bolt flip kit, Icon 2.0 Series custom length rear shocks, Wheelers Superbump Bumpstops, All-Pro extended rear brake lines, Warn 86255 VR10000 10,000 lb winch, Warn 90287 wireless remote, Redline Hood Struts, AVS Bugflector II, Pelfreybilt front bumper with Rigid 92031 SR- Series White 20" Spot/Flood lightbar, Brute Force rear bumper with short swingarm, Famous Fabrication Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Skid Plates, Rigid 50231 D2 Driving Lights, Rigid 20221 Dually Spotlights, Rigid 98000 SR-M backup lights, ARB CKMTA12 "12V"on-board twin high performance air compressor, Dick Cepek DC-2 17x9" wheels, 285/70R17 Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar tires, Wet Okole seat covers,Airflow snorkle, ARE CX HD cap, Front Runner Slimline II cap rack, TRD cat back exhaust, AVS in channel window vents, Toyota door sill protectors, Pop & Lock tailgate lock, Husky Rear floorliners, WeatherTech Front Floorliners, DeeZee bed mat, Window tint, TRD drop in air filter, Plasmaglow led bed lights, Hi-Lift jack mounted on bed rail, IMMRYO Rear View Mirror Relocate, ARB 63 Quart fridge freezer, Arb ARB209 Snatch Block, ARB ARB730US 3" x 10' Tree saver, ARB ARB705US 2-3/8" x 30' recovery strap, Bubba Rope 7/8" x 30' original rope 28600 lbs, Bubba Rope Gator Jaw soft shackle 7/16.
    Thanks, let me know how they fit. Don't want them blowing out as you go down the road.

bshammer0[OP] likes this.
  9. Mar 10, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    received the t-slot covers today. haven't had a chance to get out and test the impact on noise yet, but I can tell you they are the perfect size. They snap in very tight - you'd need to pry them back out with a flathead or something. I only bought 10 of them, and probably should have gotten 15 though so buy more than you think you need. Each strip fits one t-slot so if you're looking to cover the front-facing and the 2 top t-slots, you'll use several of them. They cut easily though and look seamless once snapped together. And this way you still have the rear t-slots free which I'll use for some anchor points for gear.

10. Mar 10, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    DaveEli

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport 4X4
    Thanks. :thumbsup:

11. Mar 13, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Definitely worth looking into. They fit snug and definitely have reduced vibrations at higher speeds. I ordered more to cover up all the slots I'm not planning to use to secure gear and will see how it plays out.

DaveEli[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 13, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    DaveEli

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport 4X4
    Great I'm gonna order a bunch, they will keep trash out of the grooves as well. All that pollen and crap from the trees.

13. Mar 18, 2017 at 9:14 AM
    gearguy911

gearguy911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey Tacoma TRD OR DCLB
    Curious if anyone has a photo of where they put that first bar to fix the wind drag? Noticed big decrease in fuel economy with this, but I also have the light bar wind deflector (ignor the tent, its not on the truck anymore at the moment)
    IMG_20161118_095709.jpg

14. Apr 29, 2017 at 6:41 AM
    FJRrider

FJRrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB
    Someday...
    Just curious if a windshield deflector may help wind noise with the rack? I think these things move the wind/airstream higher across the hood and then above the windshield? It would be an easy test - low cost. And it makes the truck look mo' bettah!

Scott

[​IMG]

bshammer0[OP] likes this.
  15. May 1, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I've definitely thought about that but then hear many folks say that unless you get a high profile one (that would hurt your visibility over the hood) that really all they do is aesthetics and maybe protect dings on your hood. Good thing to try out though! After all the tinkering I did though unless winds are high (and this time of year that's frequently) the noise isn't unmanageable.

Gmoney13 likes this.
  16. May 27, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    Sixthelement

Sixthelement Ran over a Yeti once, Texas, never again

Member:
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    JD LT
    A cheap way to fill the slots on the rack, 3/8 foam backer rod. Takes about 150ft to fill all slots on a un-used rack. Can buy 200ft for less than $20 on Amazon.

MadDaddy and bshammer0[OP] like this.
  17. May 31, 2017 at 7:47 PM
    Zandroid

Zandroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zander
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD-OR DCSB 44
    King Ext Coilovers LR-UCAs BAMF Relocation w/ 12" 2.5 King Pelfreybilt Armor: Bumper, Skids, Sliders Prinsu Roofrack ARB Snorkel & Twin Compressor sPod
    Hmm. I didn't get that weather strip for the deflector. What does it look like?

18. May 31, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    Zandroid

Zandroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zander
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD-OR DCSB 44
    King Ext Coilovers LR-UCAs BAMF Relocation w/ 12" 2.5 King Pelfreybilt Armor: Bumper, Skids, Sliders Prinsu Roofrack ARB Snorkel & Twin Compressor sPod
    Link didn't work

19. May 31, 2017 at 7:57 PM
    Sixthelement

Sixthelement Ran over a Yeti once, Texas, never again

Member:
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    JD LT
  20. Jun 1, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    With summer here in the south, I broke down and bought the Weathertech deflector and completely forgot about the potential impact on wind noise, but it's definitely reduced a fair amount with the deflector in place! ...and I get far fewer bugs on the windshield which is nice since cleaning these windshields with even the softest of towels scratches the heck out of them!

...I don't really like the looks of it honestly, but that's because all of the other black on my truck (steps, racks, flares, etc.,) are all a powder coated finish so the glossy finish looks out of place. I just wonder how much of the wind deflection I lose if I make it matte with some paint, but that question is for a different forum I guess ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top