1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wind Noise from Window - anyone fixed it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Polymerhead, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jan 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    I will have to try this on my passenger side. My driver side on the leading edge and I can press it and wind noise goes away. I have in channel visors as well. My thought it that some dirt is causing the visor to not seal against the window very well.

2. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    MonkeyChief

MonkeyChief Detachable member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACORLR
    WTB Topper Lunar Rock 6’ Leer
    thanks! I think I can figure that out with that description. I'll do that tonight, with 1200 miles on the truck, not feeling the wind noise. Although I know anytime you buy a new vehicle, there are always a handful of DIY fixes and minor adjustments that make the vehicle that much better to drive. Pretty much that way with any car out there.

3. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Yeah, very frustrating. The Tacoma is still very windy/noisy, especially at 70 mph, but at least no one's blowing air through a straw into my ear anymore. :mad:

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 Double Cab
    Factory Towing Package OEM Bed Mat Hard Tonneau Tacoma All-Weather Floor Mats
    Finally got around to trying this. Back top corner on the outside weatherstripping. I peeled it back and you could see some kind of black adhesive had failed. I did the double-stick tape and that worked great but the way I did it, it looked pretty ugly so I took that off and used a thin bead of GOOP instead. This works great too. Finally have a nice quiet ride. Excellent job Polymerhead of diagnosing this problem and explaining the solution.

:yay:

5. Apr 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: Glad it worked for you. Mine is still holding up well, so hopefully the fix is permanent!

6. May 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    joe54tacoma

joe54tacoma Joe in Indiana

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Albany Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 DOUBLE CAB TRD Sport
    I've now got the same problem. 5000 miles and the noise is driving me crazy. Going to look at the trim this weekend.

7. Jun 13, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 Double Cab
    Factory Towing Package OEM Bed Mat Hard Tonneau Tacoma All-Weather Floor Mats
    I think we both did the OUTSIDE. Quoted from Polymerhead "I took some double-stick tape and sealed the inner edge of the gasket against the door. " Meaning the INNER edge of the OUTSIDE gasket. That's what I did also.

8. Jun 13, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    D4D Hilux Dude

D4D Hilux Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    TRD Supercharger TRD Catback Exhaust Ziebart Rust Proofing Additional Bed Ties 2012 Indicator side mirrors
    My truck started doing this so now I have the wind rustling by my ear sound. The dealer stated they could not replicate the sound, so I'll try this fix soon.

9. Jun 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I actually taped the inside of the gasket to the inside of the door. If you look at the construction of the gasket, it's folded almost like an accordion, making a sandwich. It's kind of hard to explain - the way it fits together, the levels from inside to outside go gasket, interior door skin, gasket, window, gasket, exterior door skin, gasket.

The fix is making the gasket tighter to the door skin, blocking wind from seeping in and making noise. It probably doesn't matter exactly where you make that seal tighter - as long as you're eliminating the gap, you can probably add tape to the exterior part of the gasket or the interior.

10. Sep 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    ogtay

ogtay Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC PreRunner TRD Sport LB Supercharged
    TRD Exhaust
    I have to try this fix as i am having the same issue @ 2,000 miles. I had the dealer look at it twice and they will not acknowledge only to say that any noise can be subjective to whoever is driving the vehicle. This falls under "normal" road noise associated with the Tacoma according to the Toyota Engineer who looked at my truck the second time.

11. Jan 18, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    ma2co

ma2co Active Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    '13 dcsb trd off road w/tow package
    I had the same problem as many described in this thread. Also on the front passenger window (front most upper corner of the window). The noise would stop when pressing against that part of the window.

After reading the post above, I attempted to pull on the gasket as described. Sure enough, came right off. I ran clear silicon in the two outer most channels of the gasket (if you pull yours off you'll know what I'm talking about) all along the corner section of the window. Six months and several windy drives later, the noise has not returned.

deadbird8 likes this.
  12. Oct 8, 2015 at 6:56 AM
    va_bank

va_bank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport LB
    I know this is an old post, but I have a follow up question:

Thanks to this thread I was able to diagnose the source of the same noise (upper rear corner). I have applied clear silicone, but it did not bind to the rubber gasket, only to the metal of the door. So while the wind noise is gone, I now have a squeak from cured silicone rubbing against rubber :) So I removed the silicone and am looking to use a more serious adhesive. Recommendations on adhesive and method? Preferably something that's easy to clean up before it cures... I know the original post calls for double sided tape, but my top corner is already attached from factory, I need to seal around it.

Thank you in advance.

13. Oct 8, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I'd be grateful if anyone could post a pic of this fix (as would any future readers, I'm sure). I'm going to attempt the fix and will also take a pic but I'm not gonna get to it for a few days.

14. Oct 8, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    va_bank

va_bank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport LB

I'll do it tomorrow and take a pic. I decided to use 3M Weatherstripping Glue if I can find it locally.

15. Oct 12, 2015 at 7:01 AM
    -dustin

-dustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020SWDCSBTRDPROFTW
    Noise drove me crazy Saturday morning, so I went to try something yesterday. The door frame is basically shaped like an upside down U and the widow gasket fits around and into that U. I fattened up the sides of the frame with a few layers of scotch tape inside and outside the window, on top and along the backside. Intent was to create a slightly tighter seal all around, both inside and outside. Pretty windy this morning...didn't hear it, but could tell it was trying. So, not sure if it's gonna work or not.

Regardless, it's kind of stupid to have to do this, and I'm not totally convinced that there's a one-size-fits-all fix. Seems like the tolerances are excessively tight, and it's not happening. Especially since the gasket is made in Canadia.

From another thread:

16. Oct 26, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    rottenpixies

rottenpixies Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4X4
    Can anyone that has done this possibly post some pictures or respond if taping up the seals is still holding up? Got rid of the sticky gasket sound and now it sounds like my windows are down when I'm on the highway and it's driving me nuts.

17. Oct 26, 2015 at 2:53 PM
    -dustin

-dustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020SWDCSBTRDPROFTW
    nothing i have tried has gotten rid of it. so it's going to the Service Department.

18. Oct 26, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    rottenpixies

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4X4
    Yea I brought it there because of the sticky seal noise, they adjusted my doors which got rid of the sticking noise but now has a gushing noise coming through door like windows down. Would prefer the damn sticky noise over that.

Going to try the double sided method that has worked for others in this thread once I grasp what they did a little better. If that doesn't solve it will have dealership mess with it again.

19. Oct 28, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    rottenpixies

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4X4
  20. Oct 28, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    It was not Scotch brand when I bought it, but it was 3M and looks the same.

rottenpixies likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top