1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window clanks when I roll it up or down

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rzimm001, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    My drivers side window makes this clanking sound when I roll it up or down. It's almost like there's a loose screw or something because it makes some mild popping sound when I cycle it. Its difficult to explain but there's definitely something not right in the components that roll it up or down. Any suggestions???? It doesn't seem to get worse but it sounds terrible sometimes. I do offroad and maybe the vibration has loosened a screw or component. What do you guys think?

2. Nov 11, 2009 at 4:17 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I had the exact same noise last winter in my driver side window. The window eventually fell off the track and the glass then fell out. It was snowing and I was on the way to take my kid sliding. Wasn't happy but Toyota took care of it. It turned out the clips were broken and they replaced the glass and the clips.

3. Nov 11, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.

Dam, I wonder if I should take it down to toyota. I wish it was something I could see and fix. Were the clips in the door visible to where you could see what was broke without dismantling the door beyond just taking off the inside plastic cover?

4. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I would take it to Toyota before it gets more serious. No the clips werent visible at all even when the whole glass was out. I do think the door panel has to be removed to check it out.

5. Nov 11, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    mine is starting to rattle as well, but only when it is rolled partially down and I hit bumps, but it is loose for sure.

6. Nov 11, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I remember last year the mechanic telling me that the clips failing was a pretty common problem with these trucks. In fact they had a Sport in the Garage the same time with the same problem as mine. I have power windows, not sure if you guys have them or not. Could be different with manual roll down windows, I'm not sure.

7. Mar 21, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    mr2crazed

mr2crazed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morro Bay, CA.
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner SR5
    I know this is an older thread but a friend of mine is having the same problem with his '07. The driver's side is already broken where the front side of the window has fallen inside and now the passenger side is starting the make the popping sound.

How common is this? Is this something I have to look forward to on my '06?

8. Mar 21, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    I should have replied to this when I found the fix for this problem. Oh well better late than never. I took the plastic panel off the inside of the door and found by looking up into the access holes that there was a screw which had come loose. It was part of the track assembly and located about in the middle of the door. I was only able to gain access to it when the window was rolled down about four inches. Tightened it up with a crescent (major B*tch) and everything has been fine ever since. There's a few screws in there which this could happen to I suppose but mine was in the middle and everytime I rolled up the window it would catch the frame work of the door and make the pop sound. Not anymore! Hope this helps

mauigrown likes this.
  9. Jun 16, 2015 at 2:07 AM
    mauigrown

mauigrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 DCSB TRD sport
    Mine just fell off. Hopefully I can fix it

10. Sep 4, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    mray

mray Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl Base Access Cab 4x4
    Resurrecting an old thread...

I was having a similar problem with my 2011, the drivers window would clank coming up at about 6 inches from the bottom. I lowered the window about 4 inches from the top and took off the door panel (easy). There is one 10mm screw (the only one) on the left side of the window rail which was loose. Tightened it up, tested the window before putting the panel back on and BOOM! No more clank. Put the panel back on and you're done. 20 minutes, tops.

11. Sep 4, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    nobescare

nobescare Well-Known Member

Member:
    43.5448° N, 80.2482° W
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 2WD
    she's all stock
    Yup same with mine the 4 nuts holding the motor came loose. 3 fell off and the last was just hanging on. My mechanic fixrd it but u just need to remove the inside panel. U could do it yourself

12. Sep 4, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    Richie Rich

Richie Rich Toyota Hoarder

Member:
    760 (San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2010 X-Runner 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    More than I can afford
    Gives me an idea of where to look on mine.

Drivers side window rattles when partially down and motor is loud when the window goes up. Motor has always been sorta loud, window rattle is fairly new.

Products Discussed in

To Top