1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window Deflectors

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wingspar, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Jul 31, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    wingspar

wingspar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    I just got rid of my 1993 SR5 that I had for 17 years. It actually the wind wings in front of the windows, like all cars used to have. I always drove with the windows down except in the rain. With my new 2011 Tacoma Access Cab, the wind just hammers my ear, and I am forced to roll it up above 25 or 30 mph. I missed the wind wings the first time I drove it.

I am wondering if a set of window deflectors will remove the pounding wind in my ear with the window rolled all the way down, or do they just sort of do that?

A friend sent me this link for some window deflectors.

Has anyone used these?

Are there better brands out there?

Better self installed, or just take it to the dealer and let them install Toyota deflectors, or what ever the Toyota dealer stocks?

2. Jul 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    The Big O

The Big O Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Lyndhurst, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '11 Taco 4x4 SR5 - Black
    They work great for me... with the rear window open the wind goes right through the truck

3. Jul 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Arlington, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    In the double cab you can just open the rear window as well, and there's almost none in your face, unless it's a strong cross wind.

As for the deflectors. There's a few brands out there, Weathertech like the ones you linked are pretty decent, as are EGR brand and AVS brand. All have received good reviews on here.

Personally, I would go with the AVS In Channel ones. I think the in channel looks cleaner than the stick on ones.

Have a search around, there's plenty of info.

4. Jul 31, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    ya Weathertechs are good. but for half the price, EGR's are just as good. go with in-channels, they're really easy to install. dont let the dealership install it, they'll charge you too much for something you can just do yourself in less than 5 min

5. Jul 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I didn’t think they would be that easy to install, which is why I thought having the dealer do it might be the way to go.

Looks like the Weathertech, EGR’s and AVS are all in channel. The rear ones on the access cab are the ones that need to be glued on, and I’m only putting them on the front. Not the rear, which don’t open anyway.

Would it be fair to say that I wouldn’t notice any difference in performance between the three brands?

6. Aug 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    nickstone

nickstone Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner DCLB
    Avid Offroad Light Bar and Steps Weathertech Wind Deflectors More to come
    I've got the weathertech on my 2010 Doublecab and I love them. Easy to install in under 10 minutes.

7. Aug 1, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I downloaded photos of all three wind deflectors to compare side by side how they look. The EGR’s look much different than the Weathertech or AVS. Guess I’ll sleep on it for a few days since I’ll be away from my computer, and order one of them when I get back. If they work real good, I’ll have to get some for my Camry.

8. Aug 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I've had AVS and Weathertechs... both excellent and no problems before with either. Both easy installs. Never tried EGR. Some people have complained of wind noise with deflectors but I've never had an issue. Of course, I'm near deaf anyway (no kidding).

9. Aug 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
  10. Aug 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    I have the AVS in channel shades and they work well, but you can get most of the wind noise out if you roll the back window down, thats providing you have the back window to roll down?? The good thing about the vent shades is that you can roll the windows down a touch to keep the really hot air out of the truck, that way you are not hit with a heat wave when you enter you truck, and it helps if its raining as you can leave them cracked in that weather too.

11. Aug 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    Weathertechs....can you only buy from their site? I did check Amazon and they are 15$ more!

12. Aug 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    nevermind.....I just found the dealer locater on their site.

13. Aug 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    Weathertechs are sold all over, I just ordered my EGR's through Autoanything.com for $42.96. These are the fronts only for a 2009 access cab. They had Weathertech's for ~$15.00 more. Both have over 1k reviews and both are 4.5/5.

Funny thing, I closed the screen at the payment method in checkout and got an email with a 10% off promo code, so I ordered em :p

14. Aug 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    ShadesOfGrey

ShadesOfGrey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB, TRD Sport 4x4, MGM
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid CAI, Pro Comp 3" Suspension Lift, 17" Moto Metal rims w/ 33" Pro Comp tires, Powder Coated Pro-Tech Headache Rack & Toolbox
    I went with the Weathertech ones. Couldn't be more happy with em.

15. Aug 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Selkirk, NY
    Vehicle:
    4x4 reg cab, 5 speed
    Better tires Hurcules Terra Track, trimmed front mud flaps, (access limited tonneau-took off) softopper, ats running boards, Piaa fogs, window vents, Wireless thermometer, extra bed rings, valley hitch
    I went with the ERG in channel (I think autoanything was out of the other ones when I ordered). The three big names all rate about the same.

16. Aug 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I bought my EGR's for my DC from Amazon for $46 and some change. I like mine and they were very very simple to install.

17. Aug 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    2blu4u

2blu4u Human after all

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Ink Sport
    TRD exhaust, Pro Comp leveling kit, MB wheels, Yoko Geolander tires, black Grillcraft grill, BHLM, Pop-n-Lock, Access bed cover, Katzkin leather with seat heaters, custom console cover, shorter black billet antenna, Street Performance Throttle Body Spacer, bed mat, and bed extender.
    I bought a set of Weathertechs for both of my parents vehicles ( Rav4 and S-10). They loved them so much that I bought a set for my 07 AC Sport. Have not got a chance to put them on yet, but will here very soon. The access cab visors just have 3M double sided tape to apply to the window.

18. Aug 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
  19. Aug 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the extra input. I think I decided on the Weathertechs, but trying to order them from Autoanything and all of a sudden they are $25 more than last week. So I tried ordering direct from Weathertech, and the price is exorbitant, and they would not let me figure in shipping first, so I backed out of ordering for now.

Autoanything also said the EGR window deflectors are Not channel mounts, but stick on. That’s not the info I’d found on them so far. I’m so confused and frustrated. I just came back from a trip, and checked in on this thread with the intention of making a decision and ordering.

20. Aug 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    EGR has both in channel and stick on if I'm not mistaken. You have to be careful with them. If I recall correctly the in channels have an IC in the part number and are called in channels and the stick on are called slim line. I have the EGR in channel and they are slim, you can barely see them if you look at them straight from the front.

To Top