1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window Tint Durability/Care

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YoterHead, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    YoterHead

YoterHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did search, and all of the threads I found were about how dark it is legal to tint or the cost.

I'm thinking of getting my front side windows of my passenger cab tinted to 20% this weekend. I've never had a car with aftermarket tint before. I'm having this professionally done and they have a lifetime warranty on their tints, so I'm not worried about fading/cracking.

I want to know how well aftermarket tints hold up? I know not to clean them with ammonia etc. If they're done right, do they last as long as the truck or just a couple of years? Are they easily scratched?

I always hate seeing cars with bubbled or purple tints, so I just want to avoid that. I know I can remove it if it happens, but it sounds like a pain. There are a ton of pictures on here of people's new tint jobs, but its hard to pick out the tints that are 3+ years old or so. Thanks for the help.

2. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    xmixpixx

xmixpixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD Off Road 6 spd
    If it is being professionally done you should not have to worry about bubbles.. That is usually a DIY tint job.. I had 15 percent on my front windows until I got a nice ticket for it the other day, so I had to have it removed and go to court in March to show I had it removed. I bought my truck as a certified pre-owned and it came with the tint on it. I am not sure how old the tint was, but my truck is an 05, and the tint looked brand new..

3. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    StormTrooper

StormTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Flowmaster Super 44 w/ K&N drop in
    Bed Cap,K&N Air Filter,Chrome Pieces,Flowmaster Exhaust,Neon on inside, Heavy Duty Custom Floormats ( Tacoma ), Tint 20%, Blue license plate lights, Various decals, LED Projector Halos headlights, JVC head unit stereo

#1 thing.. dont let the metal part of the seat belt hit it.. this is very common in scratching it. ive had mine for atleast 5 months now... no visibale bubbles or scratches. good luck

4. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    l_prettyman

l_prettyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Easton Shore Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5
    12% tint, Leer cap, Pioneer Avh3100DVD headunit, Kinetik 2000 battery, Memphis pr1.1000 amp, Pioneer subwoofer(not sure what kind), Back-up Camera, PA/CB system
    i've tinted for a few years, my dad tinted for 20 years, and from my experience and his they last a long time if you dont scrap them with sharp objects. my friends car has had the same tint on for 10 years and had barely faded. good luck

To Top