1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windows 10 is here

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Newlife, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Mar 10, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Mine works for a while, then effs up when they put updates on. Then it works for a while when they put a fix on to fix the updates. Then it screws up again.

2. Mar 10, 2016 at 9:52 AM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 at 10:20 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Sterdog likes this.
  4. Mar 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    This is true.

Also I blame nVidia for my driver issues. It's not like Microsoft is hiding something that they don't know how to code for.

5. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:19 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    I don't mind NVidia. I prefer their driver support over ATI (which I've used and hated), even with the Vista driver debacle.

6. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:23 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Aren't most windoze releases a flop lately? :anonymous:

10 still having issues connecting to stuff like printers not working with it?

7. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    I have two printers (cannon and HP) installed on mine with no issues. Both were installed with Win 8 pre upgrade to 10.

I will say, privacy concerns out the window, on my Surface 3, win 10 beats win 8. On my desktop, Ill stick with win 7 but I can't stand that annoying win 10 reminder every 5 seconds. For fuck sake!

8. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Agreed. The only reason I bought nVidia this time around was because of the drivers historically being much better than ATI/AMD.

9. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    My printer work as well.

At least windows OS won't kill my SSD in one to two years. Every OS has it's flaws.

10. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    tbr3345

tbr3345 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DBL Cab Silver Streak Mica
    I have a 27" iMac so don't need it Wife has Win 7 on her Dell desk top and doesn't want to change to 10 or iMac. Have dell desktop with 10 on it that I upgraded last Summer when it fires came out. Grandkids use it to play their games on along with 2 laptop with 7 on them. Had to do some work on wife computers and I have forgotten how to solve problems on it. I have gotten spoiled with the iMac never crashes or has problems upgrades go smoothly. Soon I will get wife a iMac and switch her over. We both have iPads and Iphone so don't need laptops when we travel. Whenever I take a picture with my phone it ends up on my mac and ipad and I can text or or talk for any of them. It is just a lot less hassle now with Windows.

Tom

medic2230 likes this.
  11. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Wow, I've never heard someone tell me how awesome Mac is and how they never have problems.

I've owned two iMacs. I won't go back. If you want to know why PM me.

12. Mar 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    The new nVidia driver I downloaded today seems to of fixed the issues I was having.

To clarify the issue I was having was a slight stagger every 5 seconds with AA turned all the way up on some older games. It wasn't even noticible doing things like email browsing.

For fun I went and checked out an iMac today. For the cost of one of those I could throw a 980 GTX in my computer and buy a new TV for my living room. Plus that iMac wouldn't be able to run any of the games I like. Still a pass, even if the quality has come up a bit which is difficult to tell.

13. Mar 12, 2016 at 9:02 PM
    Xaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
  14. Mar 12, 2016 at 9:12 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It's not surprising. Honestly, like you're saying, it's not hard to see why Microsoft wants to do this or to of seen their motives long ago. It's costing them money to keep up 7 support and it costs them even more when people refuse to run Windows 10 on their new machines.

Take a user like either of us. Both of us regularly install and uninstall our OS. I even have 2 copies of windows 7 I can move about from PC to PC if I wanted to. Every time I do that I circumvent buying more Microsoft keys and it ticks them off. These are the people they seem to not care about. The people who benefit from freedom of use and technical know how. Honestly, will they lose these people? Probably not, considering most of the popular gaming hardware and software is designed for their machines it kind of places people between a rock and a hard place.

Not to mention the fear of having Windows 7 corporate users consider something else. They want the big office companies to upgrade and buy all those shiny new licenses for corporate use. OKAY BEFORE SOME MAC FANS GET RAGING HARDONS THINKING THIS MEANS COMPANIES WOULD GOT THAT WAY... WRONG. It's much more likely they would cater a Linux release to their liking and keep Windows on the machines they need to have windows on. Mac flat out sucks in the average business environment. You can't even get half of the programs or peripherals to run remotely properly on Mac which makes it less desirable to large companies with 100's of computer to support. At least in Linux you can write your own fixes easily.

It's not just Windows they are doing this with either. This generation of Office is basically spamware for Office 365. Why charge people one fairly small fee when you can collect a small fee over their entire lifetime just for Office access. In one way I like it because it is nice knowing you will always have the latest and greatest office, which does matter to my household with a legal secretary and sales representative at home. In another I'm sick knowing one of the most commonly used programs I have now costs me money per month like a cellular phone.

15. Mar 12, 2016 at 9:23 PM
    Xaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    I could, tonight, do a clean (from original MS media) install of an OS on fresh hardware going back to WfW311. And every single version since. And this is just me personally....not my work accounts, my 'at the office' logins, etc.

But the difference is...what they're doing now with 10 is well over above above what they've done before, and what is OK by any stretch of the imagination. They were some flavor of asshole/evil before, but this shit? This is so over the top it isn't even funny.

I've always been a guy that supported Windows at work but only used it at home for gaming. Now I'm using my free time at work to show my coworkers how to get off the MS train all together and still keep our FDIC certs. It's a bitch, but it can be done.

Even 8.x, while I disliked, I could abide. This shit? Nope. HELL nope.

16. Mar 12, 2016 at 9:24 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    So you're going over to what then? Just curious.

AFAIK it's a bitch to game on Linux. Mac is a joke too considering they don't even make a tower anymore that you can easily swap in flashed cards too.

17. Mar 12, 2016 at 9:30 PM
    Xaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    Native linux machines for my devs....mostly Ubuntu or derivatives (lots of Mint). They have VMs of MS crap for when they need to test certain OS platforms. The few servers remaining are transitioning to linux if they aren't already without telling anyone. I think I'm down to 3 windows server chassis total, natively. The rest are all VMs of some flavor on a different hypervisor.

The user end is where it gets bitchy. The bank side has thankfully listened and universally blocked 10s advancement. But they're still running 7 and 8 workstations, and getting around all of the 'security blanket' software they have in addition to the base OS is where I spend most of my time.

18. Mar 12, 2016 at 9:33 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Yeah, like I said I can see Linux for work. It's been a few years since I played with Linux but I know it's able to dance in many different ways and have a lot of flexibility to do what you may need.

19. Mar 12, 2016 at 9:38 PM
    Xaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    Yup. The general office-level peeps are the problem.

I could have them all up on a Mint VM tomorrow if I wanted. And, honestly, most of them I could actually have working mostly normally in a day or two.

But for fucks sake...one of our clients is a BoA sub. That we have to use an 11 year old VBS script running on a VM of a Vista workstation from 2006. Because one of the bidding processes that they use cannot accept data in another format. Period.

And despite a dozen attempts since that time, you simply cannot do it a a machine with anything newer than Excel 2003 spreadsheet with a specific version of VBS support installed on it....and never ever ever patched past it.

I don't mean to scare you....but they did 9 digits in sales with that VM last fiscal year.

20. Mar 12, 2016 at 9:47 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It doesn't surprise me lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top