1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windows 8.....Microsoft dropped the ball?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Warputer, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Dec 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I agree with your points. I think of the modern ui as a fancy program that acts as a 'landing page', sort of like a dashboard for a corporate exec - then when I do real work, it launches me over to ol' reliable.
    There needs to be some blend between these two extremes to really make it work, but I'm not the wizard that's going to invent that.

2. Dec 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Windows 8 sucks.

Been fighting it all day on the wife's new notebook.
    I've got it printing to the printer across the network, and it can view a shared folder that I set up for her, mapped it as a network drive.

But the GUI is the biggest clusterfuck since Tandy's Deskmate.

When the browser is open in the "Start" page mode, it's just a screen. It's a fight to find the address bar and the limited navigation options.
    It's a little more friendly in Desktop mode, but unlike XP, it does not display a normal taskbar that shows open apps.
    She was in Facebook, and couldn't figure out how to close the browser.
    I got her into desktop mode and shut down with the red X.
    Another browser window was open below it. Closed that and it looked clear.

Went to try and find the "shutdown" button, and another browser window popped open, already open to Facebook. I had already set MSIE to open to the home page, not the previous session, so I know I didn't accidentally reopen the browser.

This interface is going to be absolutely horrible to use at work when IT forces us to upgrade. At any one time, I might have 8 programs and 12 "My Computer" windows open to various local and network directories.

3. Jan 12, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    My first opinion of 8 was "oh hell no" but after working with it for a week and then making it work for a customer I have decided it isn't that bad. As long as you know how to get back to the desktop for any of your "normal" stuff the Metro stuff isn't horrible. I still wish there was a way to turn the Metro off or at least make the Desktop your default without having to do some registry edits or scheduled tasks.

Overall I like it enough to install it on my wife's laptop. She is currently running Vista and the only OS worse than Vista was ME.

4. Jan 12, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    I hate that it's not compatible with my dj software (serato scratch live, but there are some good learning vids for windows 8 on youtube.

5. Jan 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    Give that some time and I'm sure the software will become available for Win 8. Also, considering that 8 was designed for touchscreen computers it would make a person think that you could actually "touch" your DJ board with your hands instead of a mouse.

6. Jan 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    This program will get rid of the Metro UI. It costs $5 for a single license or $9.95 for a license for 3 CPUs
    https://licensing.thinix.com/products/Product.aspx?ProductID=6472

7. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Sorry I never reported back...

Found "Classic Shell" on CNet and she's perfectly happy with it.
    Since she's running Office 2010, I decided to configure it with a Windows-7 look and feel.

She can still get back to the Metro screen if she wants, but she hasn't asked for help in a while other than the time she somehow reset the zoom level on her browser to 30%.

8. Jan 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    TRD 09

TRD 09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD sport
    I HATE WINDOWS 8, every time I slide my finger across the mouse pad the screen changes

lately when I try to open a picture I get a message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access this item." can someone tell me how to fix this?

9. Jan 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Change your track pad settings via your manufacturer's driver settings.
    Press the windows key
    type "Mouse"
    click the tile for "Change mouse settings"
    click Device Settings tab
    click settings button
    turn off "Enable Edge Swipes"
    Click OK

Most likely when you moved to the new OS, you didn't assign yourself as a local administrator over your computer.
    Try right click > run as administrator just to see if that works. If so, you need to change permissions on the folder the pictures are in, change permissions on the picture itself, or make yourself a local administrator.

10. Jan 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    I absolutely hate 8, went back to 7 on my laptop. 7 for me isn't to bad for my use, i miss my old XP tho :(.

I feel their trying to make windows to damn pretty and trying to be trendy with all their new "features" in 8. 8 CAN GO TO HELL lol

11. Jan 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    ClassicShell on my wife's laptop.

She's only asked for help 3 times in 3 weeks now.

Products Discussed in

To Top