1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield replacement issue.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kryten, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jan 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    kryten

kryten [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I had my cracked original Toyota windshield replaced yesterday for a new, different brand (not original Toyota part) one at a local shop. Everything looks good, but since it was replaced, I can hear all sorts of noises from the windshield when I go over bumps, potholes or rough road. It is very difficult to explain, but its sort of a cracking noise, or as if it was not fitted right and there is a slight movement, or as if it was under some stress although again everything looks solid and ok.

Any ideas? Its very noticeable on rougher roads and is driving me nuts. I did not go through a car wash yet to make sure there are no leaks. I also checked the interior dash panels etc just in case there is something loose but strangely it does appear its coming from the windshield. This sounds really stupid but I'm lost. What am I missing? What went wrong here?

2. Jan 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    steveh_2007

steveh_2007 Pro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NW Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    TRD Baja Suspension, FN Wheels BFD, TRD Cat-back Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD GrillCraft MX Grilles, FX-R 3.0 Bi-Xenon Retrofit with Osram CBI Bulbs, OEM Navigation/Bluetooth/Backup Camera Retrofit, WeatherTech Floorliners, Valentine One, ScanGuage II with custom V1/SGII BlendMount
    Keep us posted... I just had mine replaced too and no noise... Yet. :/

3. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    MikeluvstheTaco

MikeluvstheTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Saskatchatoon
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    :popcorn:

My small crack in my Tacos window turned into a 3 foot crack this morning :(
    Speedy did a quick quote of 650 obo, Im gonna do some shopping around, but I hope a cheaper shop installs it properly, I had my acura windshield replaced and the dash squeaked afterword so I understand your frustration. Good Luck, hope it subsides

4. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    i got mine replaced $165 out the door no leaks or noise it has been about a month.

5. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    if you can, usually insurance will cover a new windshield

6. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Sounds like it wasn't seated/sealed properly. Did you try calling the place who installed it and inquiring?

TRDSport10 likes this.
  7. Jan 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

how much did you pay OP..Ever hear of you get what you pay for?

8. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    As stated above.Call the shop that did the install.

9. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    kryten

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Do not really notice much of that noise anymore, it has been three weeks since I got it replaced. It must have settled, maybe the glue wasnt cured yet, i really dont know. Still need to go through car wash to make sure it does not leak. Probably tomorrow as it was way to cold for that lately (-20's) and then after couple days of above 0 the roads were a mess.

Original quote at the glass shop was $250 OTD for windshield including new molding and labor. I got a coupon for $20 that was worth $100 towards windshield replacement. Then I paid $150 at the shop, so $170 ($150 + $20) was the total cost for me.

10. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    BARTRD

BARTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Volant CAI with optional skoop, Magna-Flow exhaust, K&N drop-in air filter, WeatherTechs, Wet Okole, kenwood navigation head unit, de-badged, 15% tint all around, factory roof rack fitted with Thule fairing, billy 5100 on all 4 corners, ICON AAL, n-fab light bar with 4 hella 500s, rear lights mounted under bumper
    I had mine replaced yesterday. Called insurance (state farm), paid the $50 deductible and they had their company come to me and replace it while I was at work. Just did it in the parking lot. Will take it through the car wash this weekend to test, but I have had no noise issues

11. Jan 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    MikeluvstheTaco

MikeluvstheTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Saskatchatoon
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Excellent! I will shop around, obviously they are overpriced.

Thanks

12. Jan 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    beckettisgod

beckettisgod Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Barcelona Red
    Fog light anytime mod, Black lower valence, In-channel AVS Ventvisors, drop-in K&N filter so far...
    I do glass for a living and it sounds to me like an issue with the windshield molding (the black 3-sided strip on the glass). I would be interested to know if it leaks at all... But yeah, most shops, like mine, warranty the glass and replace it for nothing.

If you get a chance, check out the brand on the glass. I deal with a quality supplier and the ONLY windshields I get for Tacos are always ULN - United Libbey Nippon glass (Toyota's own glass branch). But it is possible the molding is aftermarket and of a decent quality but not up to factory specs.

TRDSport10 likes this.
  13. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:19 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Nice. I had a rock chip/ 2-inch crack and got in my truck last night to find a crack that extended all the way from the passenger's side to the edge of the driver's side, and of course right at my eye level. I was so hoping to make it to spring before getting a new windshield but no dice. My deductible on it is $500 so that'll hurt. Guess I'd better get my taxes done, looks like I'll need that refund!

14. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:09 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Why would you let your insurance cover it and pay the $500 deductible when you could pay approximately half that amount out of pocket for new glass?:confused:

For those getting the new screen under their insurance, does it affect your insurance premium (immediately or down the road)? My insurance company will allow one claim before any increases in premiums. I never bothered to claim my new windshield a couple of months ago as I'd hate to use my one "free" claim on a $250 windshield.

15. Jan 28, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I didn't read through all of the post.

Sounds to me like the windshield is settling, possibly you drove it before the sealant was cured, allowing it to move. I normally leave a freshly replaced windshield out in the sun for hours before the first drive and make sure to park in the sun for a few additional days. Also when a windshield is replaced some tape should be placed to help hold it in place and keep trash from collecting in the sealant., seems minor but I find the tape around the windshield has made a difference. Just my $.02

PS.
    Read more post, I have the insurance and cost me maybe $50 to replace my windshield and no my month premium, my company allows 1 or 2 claims per year without raising my premium.

16. Jan 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    kryten

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TGW is the brand of the windshield I got installed. Before I had original Toyota windshield.

17. Feb 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Fog light anytime mod, Black lower valence, In-channel AVS Ventvisors, drop-in K&N filter so far...
    Did you ever get this looked at?

18. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    I've got a chip and may need a new windshield down the road.

Are the non-Toyota windshields wavy if you look through them at an angle? I sure don't want that.

19. Feb 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Some are, some aren't. Usually the stuff made in china is crap. Brands like FYG and PGW are made mostly in china. Actually, Safelite manufactures their own glass in the U.S. and it's also cheap garbage. The bad ones always have that wavy, distortion you're speaking of. Drives people alot of people crazy.

Honestly, ask for OEM or if you have to go aftermarket, make sure its a Pilkington! Pilkington is high quality aftermarket.

Just my .02

20. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    kryten

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    I don't notice any more strange noises coming from the windshield. If I hear something here and there is sounds more like the dash is rattling now. I drove it right after it was installed on the highway about 30 miles home. It was about -10C out as well. The installer said it is ok for me to drive home at that point. I finally went through a car wash last night and did not have any leaks.

The brand is actually PGW, so I'm definitely not that thrilled about it now, however I will never be able to buy or justify spending $480 installed for an oem toyota windshield. At least that is what the stealership quoted me. At $160 OTD I still think it was ok, especially if it will last me for a few years. Next time I will do more research though and get a quality aftermarket instead.

It does not have any optical distortions, doesnt look waivy or anything like that at least. I already have two very minor chips in it, since we put gravel on out roads in the winter. Should have waited until spring to get it replaced. :(

TRDSport10 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top