1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield Replacement

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Xx_Evilvirus_xX, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Oct 8, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    GreyBaldTaco

GreyBaldTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sr5 DCSB 4x4
    yea, that

2. Oct 8, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I hear windshield and I twitch.

I've had two OEM windshields crack already. I've got an FY one in there now that hasn't had an issue and has lasted longer than either OEM. The glass guy I used for the FY said he has had more luck than with Pilkington in his experience as quality has changed.

My poor truck got absolutely butchered by a "recommended" chain shop (scratched paint, leaks, etc) and it took months to get everything right. I had a local indie guy do the FY while I was there and saw how he did everything. The chain shop used what almost looked like strips of felt adhesive that caused all kinds of issues. The indie guy used epoxy and I haven't had an issue since.

Xx_Evilvirus_xX [OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2019 at 9:31 AM
    golfindia

golfindia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 access cab AT
    If I find out there is anything on any vehicle I own that costs $500 to recalibrate it is either going to get removed or disconnected.

4. Oct 8, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    Beerpayzdabillz

Beerpayzdabillz Pastryatarian

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 sport

fixed it for ya

Pro-Taco likes this.
  5. Oct 8, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    6MTPro

6MTPro Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro 6MT
    265/75/16, PPF, Bakflip Mx4,
    If you care about the GoPro mount also make sure you double check because sometimes they use ones that would work on 2019+ that don't have the mounts on them. 2018 is a one off from the previous 2017 and everything after that.

6. Oct 8, 2019 at 10:12 AM
    aturk

aturk Member

Member:
    Do you guys really not have glass coverage on your policy?

I've had $0 deductible auto glass coverage on my policy for this very reason for years. Most everyone I know has it as well.

You can always request "OEM" glass and they should accomodate. I just went through this on my 2013 Acura TL. Getting ready to sell it and wanted to make it as marketable as possible.

7. Oct 8, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    InfernoChalupa

InfernoChalupa Using CRAWL control on Bunny Trails

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Birmingham,AL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSB TRDOR
    Child booster seat, spilled glitter slime, chicken nugget crumbs, spilled milkshake in cupholder, and many more courtesy of daughter.
    Simply put, go with the $250 option self pay. No need to worry about glass quality between OE or aftermarket. You can request "Pilkington" if you wish since they make the OE and aftermarket. Only difference between the two are a Toyota stamp in the corner. No need for an insurance claim if it can be done cheaper than your deductible.

8. Oct 8, 2019 at 10:22 AM
    InfernoChalupa

InfernoChalupa Using CRAWL control on Bunny Trails

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Birmingham,AL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSB TRDOR
    Child booster seat, spilled glitter slime, chicken nugget crumbs, spilled milkshake in cupholder, and many more courtesy of daughter.
    and they'll happily give you an "OEM equivalent". You can request "OE" and then pay the difference if you truly want it. Getting OE glass when aftermarket is available at no extra cost only happens under special circumstances.

9. Oct 8, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    SearArtist

SearArtist It's wet, slick, and ready to go.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lincolnton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Mall Crawler
    Alizarin Crimson, Bright Red, Cadmium Yellow, Dark Sienna, Indian Yellow, Midnight Black, Mountain Mixture, Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, Prussian Blue, Sap Green, Titanium White, Van Dyke Brown, and Yellow Ochre.
    Have PGW and have no issues. Paid $250 out of pocket for a local company to replace it... Insurance wanted a $500 deductible.

10. Oct 8, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    1992SR5V6

1992SR5V6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    Bolt on only...
    Just went through this a couple months ago. My body guy ordered a Pilkington replacement, it was so bad it would even fit in the frame. Since the truck was less then 12 months old, Allstate will pay for an OEM (also Pilkington), fits great, and even had the GoPro labeled camera mount (I use for my dash cam). I was pleased with the install and quality of glass. However, since my '18 has all the safety stuff, it was $500 to calibrate everything. The glass shop my body guys uses has a mobile calibration unit. Seems like Insurance paid about $1500 for everything, $0 out of pocket. I would check with your agent and make sure everything is done correctly. Comprehensive claims are different than collision.

11. Oct 10, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    LSUfan1975

LSUfan1975 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Washington NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 Dbcb MGM
    Don't agree with doing it. But it isn't insurance fraud if they pay for it. Gateway drug to morally corrupt hell. But not illegal.

12. Oct 10, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    Pro-Taco

Pro-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCSB 4X4 Prem/Tech Cement
    Pro: grille, skid, exhaust, intake, suspension, shifter. Sema wheels, Westin side steps, Mori fogs
    Not illegal??? Since when is defrauding trucking company or insurance is not illegal? So if I get a scratch on my truck, then write down some poor Joe's license plate number who happen to park next to me days later and claim it trough my or his insurance is not a fraud? Because of the mentality like that our insurance rates are going trough the roof. Why not man up and take care of it like one should, or add a glass coverage to your insurance so you don't have to get "creative" in the situation like this. I can't believe you guys even entertaining this idea.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top