1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield Vibrations/Noises

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MarinePhoenix2207, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    MarinePhoenix2207

MarinePhoenix2207 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey (yes, there's a North and South)
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
    Has anyone had issues with their windshields? For example, the windshield on my old 05 would whistle when I hit approx 60-70 mph as if there were a split somewhere in the seal. Now, with my 09, EVERY time I hit approx 60-70 mph, I hear numerous tapping on the windshield as if I was continuously getting hit by bugs or debris, but that's not the case and there's nothing flapping around hitting it when I drive (i.e. nothing caught on my antenna, etc). It hasn't caused any significant issues as of yet, but I'd prefer it not shatter in my lap on the highway. Any suggestions...?

2. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Take it in to your dealer and have them check it out. My 07 had that whistling problem you mentioned. I took it in and they resealed it, and now it's perfect.

3. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    The channels on either side of the windshield are pretty deep and many folks have complained about noises like yours. Some went so far as to put "weather stripping" in the channels to quiet it down a bit. Others managed to get the dealer to re-seal them under warranty.

I don't have this issue and haven't followed it closely enough to know if it's indigenous to a certain year(s) or body styles (although our trucks are almost identical) but I can say you're not alone.

4. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    ElectronMan

ElectronMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am having similar issues. I have a 2009 with windshield rattling/squeaking issues.

That and something on the passenger side near the kick panel that is squeaking and driving me crazy.

5. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

Check this thread or this one... likely one of those two things. Easy fixes either way.

6. Dec 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    ElectronMan

ElectronMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks Slurpee, that is awesome. If it wasn't nearly midnight I'd be pulling my truck apart right now.

7. Dec 20, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    Veinguy

Veinguy Done, Retired from here :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2009 Black Tacoma
    Sport Hood ARE LSII Lid Flowmaster Dual Exhaust Airaid CAI Airaid TBS 3" Revteck Lift Tires & Rims Billet Grille Insert Blue LED Dome Light Redline Quicklift Debadged Luminics blue bulbs in the headlights and Fogs N-Fab lightbar Hella 500 x 4 Wet Okole's Blk/Char Weathertec Mats Extra's sshhhhh!
    I had the same thing happen in my 05, the dealer actually replaced the windshield for me. No problem with my 09.

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    MarinePhoenix2207

MarinePhoenix2207 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey (yes, there's a North and South)
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
    Okay, so I checked out the wires behind the glove box and haven't had much luck. I took her out the other day for a trial period and I was able to narrow down the location of the noises to the windshield portion directly in front of the driver's side. It sounds like constant (yet irregular) tapping, but in different areas of that side. I'm kind of hesitant to take it to the "stealership", I mean, it's not killing anyone, simply annoying.

Products Discussed in

To Top