1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter Boot Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Trouble_The_Tacoma, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Nov 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    COOutlaw

COOutlaw Old Guy-fan of: Shotguns,Birddogs,Flyrods,Whiskey.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OR CEMENT
    None yet
    The only issue I can see is picking one boot for "all" of the varied activities you listed. Two would definitely cover the range but then its likely a waste of money if you wont use them again or infrequently. Snowmobiling and snowshoeing are drastically different needs than walking around town or going to dinner. But you also mention your feet always being cold. For snowmobiling or shoeing Id look at something like the Sorel Caribou, which are sometimes also "fashionable" in colder locations. But additionally, they are bulkier than a casual winter boot. The insulated LL Bean "Bean Boot" might be a go to for everything you mentioned. Otherwise - I'd get a pair of Sorel's for $120 and a pair of waterproof, Gore-Tex, insulated, Hiking style for about $80 and for $200 you should be covered....also you can let one dry while you wear the other....cold and wet makes feet pretty miserable....you will want to change out and not be stuck with just one pair for multiple days.

2. Nov 3, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    Pibbles99

Pibbles99 One more cast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    21 OR dbl cab
    Only issue I have with mine is that I have trouble stretching ice cleats over them because of bulk of soles.
    Yak tracks are ordered.
    You just can’t chance not being prepared in those climes. I would rather my feet be a little bulky and too hot than risk damage to feet. Boots are rated at something like -175

tcjacado[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Nov 3, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    Pibbles99

Pibbles99 One more cast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    21 OR dbl cab
    i concur on that one

4. Nov 3, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
  5. Nov 3, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Baffin FTW! It's all I wear when I'm doing snow removal on my tractor with the snow blower.

I have the Selkirk model. Very expensive but the best boot I've ever wore for ice traction, sitting for hours in extreme temperatures, and very deep snow. Combined with a decent snow suit or snow pants and coat you can easily do any outdoor activities you want and stay warm and dry.

These are purpose driven boots though so make sure you will need them and use them.

I would look at something a little more versatile so you can get your monies worth if not. But still look at Baffin. They are made in Canada.

Eddie Bauer are not the same as they used to be. I had a pair of Iditarod boots literally self destruct after 2 seasons of snow removal.

Thourogood boots are made in the US and are an excellent choice too. Hytech. Rocky. Are both good choices.

Baffin.

I even wear Baffin Base Camp bootie slippers in the winter around the house.

6. Nov 3, 2018 at 11:59 AM
    Pibbles99

Pibbles99 One more cast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    21 OR dbl cab
    BillsSR5[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 3, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    Pibbles99

Pibbles99 One more cast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    21 OR dbl cab
    I drove to the Cabelas outlet with those Baffin boots in mind, and of course they weren’t In the store.
    Even though I could have had them shipped, I weighed my options and decided that they would do. I had a $200 gift card through work reward points and didn’t have to pay any more $
    Rob’s point is valid, those Baffin boots are world class.
    Anyway good luck

RobP62 likes this.
  8. Nov 3, 2018 at 2:42 PM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
  9. Nov 6, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    I snowmobile in a pair of Baffin Impacts, but they are heavy. I would not use them to go for a nature walk. For that purpose I use my Muck Boots. For snowshoeing and ice fishing I wear a very lightweight boot also made by Baffin, I can't remember what it is but it's a light pac boot style that I put Kahtoola Micro Spikes on.

RobP62 likes this.
  10. Nov 6, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    That's why I prefer the Selkirk model. It has the inner bootie system and is super light weight. There are just two velcro straps, but it also has the extendable gaiter that brings it up over my knee. They also have that proprietary polar bear sole that in my book is unlike any snow boot sole I have ever tried. I can sit for hours on the tractor, walk in 2+ feet of snow, or walk up and down my glazed driveways and at the end of the day my feet are still not sore, cold or wet.

This is why I have these boots:

P1230957.jpg
    This was nearly 36" of snow from one storm. I almost just shut the garage and crawled back into bed. This is very abnormal for Maryland.

P1230967.jpg

There's a 4Runner over there somewhere. LOL

The glazed driveways are the most dangerous part of my snow removal but these boots have never let me down.

Again, though, you have to need a boot like this. If I were going to be walking all day in deep snow, I could see wearing them, but for all out hiking which might include some rocks I would be more inclined to go with something with more ankle support and less bulk. Like I said, the Selkirk is all day comfort but it is a nylon outer shell that might not hold up to hiking conditions. Snowmobile, yes!

I'm a prima donna when it comes to my feet. I seriously do not worry what winters will be like with the Baffin Selkirk. Of course, for the money it better be everything I say it is and then some.

Pickeledpigsfeet likes this.
  11. Nov 6, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Footwear is entirely subjective so its hard to make a recommendation.

I’m a bow hunter that wears 1500g Thinsulate Gortex boots with polypro liners and wool socks. Remember cotton kills.

I believe your feet being too hot is an impossibility lol. Not all feel that way

Those Keen boots are entirely too expensive for being a leather boot (which is not that waterproof) and it doesn’t have a gram insulation rating.
    I love Keen footwear too but I’m not buying those boots for those reasons.

GoreTex and synthetic material is best for true water proofing. A leather boot will not hold up to hours in the snow.

You probably want to have a couple pairs of boots for your price point given the activities you want to do.

When you are doing things where you are up and moving around you need less insulation because you’ll be warmer.
    When you are sitting stationary on a snowmobile in the wind... you’re going to get cold. You’ll want something with more insulation.

As I said for bow hunting sitting in a stand in the wind or doing any non-moving hunting I like 1,000+ grams of insulation.
    If I’m moving like walking around town or going to dinner I have a different pair I wear.

I think your activities are too expansive for a single pair.

RobP62 likes this.
  12. Nov 6, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    All great points. :thumbsup:

13. Nov 6, 2018 at 2:46 PM
    Pibbles99

Pibbles99 One more cast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    21 OR dbl cab
    I know first hand about the extreme importance of the sole for snow and ice( ice is ice , we all know this)
    I had on a pair of Red Wing model 2412 on why I was out in front of my house after a storm. Not much of a storm but pretty icy.
    I slipped and did a split that tore my hamstring nearly all the way off in which I was forced to drive myself to the ER. That friggin sucked outright. So I all about the ice cleats and superior sole.
    My newest pair of RW boots ( not insulated) have the vibram sole that I need for work and at home.
    Don’t get me wrong
    Those 2412 are probably the most comfortable work boot I have ever worn( not for winter wear) !
    Somewhat off subject

PackCon likes this.
  14. Nov 6, 2018 at 3:08 PM
    Pibbles99

Pibbles99 One more cast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    21 OR dbl cab
    Also Gore-Tex and 400 grams thinsulate

15. Nov 6, 2018 at 3:08 PM
    Pickeledpigsfeet

Pickeledpigsfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Foothills, CA
    Have you tried the RW wedge soles in slick conditions? Like the model 10875.

16. Nov 6, 2018 at 3:15 PM
    bucktales

bucktales *Retired* curmudgeon

Member:
    Ct.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport AC / 2014 FJC/ 1972 Rally Nova
    For Winter activity snow boots, I always had Sorel or Red Ball rubber bottom/leather upper boots with removable felt liners.
    Had this type of boot for years and always had extra liners.

17. Nov 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
  18. Nov 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I've snowmobiled in Keens before but my boot of choice is Klim. Kamik is a close second if I'm on a budget. I live and ride both VT and Quebec fwiw.

19. Nov 6, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    Pibbles99

Pibbles99 One more cast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    21 OR dbl cab
    No have been considering

20. Nov 6, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    nobescare

nobescare Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    43.5448° N, 80.2482° W
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner 2WD
    she's all stock
    Sorels and wool socks the sorels aint fancy but they'll keep you warm and dry. if you're not used to the cold... layers too.

Products Discussed in

To Top