1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter coat: where'd you buy yours?

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by TacoTuesday1, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    I think Ive gone through a million different versions of layering and winter coats to try and find what works best for me, without having to own a dozen different ones. My recommendation, and what I will do until someone comes up with a new system, is a good but expensive and comfortable outer shell, and a cheap thin puffy coat for the really cold days where i need more insulation. The current version of this is an Outdoor research skyward II shell, and a 50.00 puffy under layer from fleet farm.

The shell is my spring/fall/hunting/skiing/skating//hiking/rain coat. It literally works for everything, and the puffy jacket fits under it for colder days or extended outdoor times with limited movement. both pieces together roll down super small and make them easy to pack also.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-skyward-ii-jacket-268075?cat=10,4,402

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ba...ter-jacket/0000000358882?bc=10525|10526|10537

I tend to get most of my gear off this terrible money suck of a website, it can be hard to find the more typical sizes, but if you can find what fits you, will save tons of money.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/

2. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:49 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
  3. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:51 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    with CARHARTT they are functionable,warm,tough, and look better the more worn in they get, and the ladies love them, cant beat it

jackn7 likes this.
  4. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    I’m all about the layering. Instead of buying one coat for everything you can add/subtract for the weather. Arcteryx is my go to, they are expensive but with the warranty it’s kind of a buy it for life jacket. Plus I get most of my stuff at a big discount at the outlet in Castle Rock.

RockiesTaco likes this.
  5. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    Good cold weather gear is worth the extra $$$.

Hestra gloves for me. I recommend wool terrycloth unless you're dealing with severe cold. You'll stay warm but still be able to use your hands for most things. I prefer touch screen gloves when possible but it's very low on my priority list of winter cold weather gloves. Mine have none. But I used to wear a thin merino wool liner that did so I wouldn't have to expose my skin directly to the cold. I also have a pair of wind mittens to go over the gloves to add some more protection. They're easily packable in a jacket pocket. IMO, gloves are one of the areas you don't skimp. They're incredibly important to your comfort and long term cold weather abilities and a good pair will last a long time.

I prefer down jackets. Do your research about down before you buy. 700-900 fill will give you a lot of warmth w/o a lot of bulk. Shop around and you might find a good deal on last years styles or an off brand but well built product. I like to do layers and add a shell for wind or wet. Add a sweater underneath or some long sleeve merino wool undershirt when really cold.

I only wear merino wool socks now. From booties in Summer to full Winter socks. I prefer a low cut so I can stuff more layers in the boot when needed and I find that height does'nt equate to warmth. Thin for Summer, thicker as it gets colder.

When it's really cold and I need to layer up, I go with merino wool leggings and tops. Thin but warm.

Just about any snow pants will keep you warm over your normal street clothes.

Merino wool beanies of varying thickness for varying cold.

Full face mask/hood for the coldest of days.

I like Sorel boots for cold. Not great for hiking or long walks. Your foot moves around a lot in the boot. I go a ½ size small with Sorels for this reason. You'll be warm and dry though. Don't skimp on shoes/boots for Winter. I have Danner boots for hiking and just a pair of Gortex Merrill hiking shoes for general Winter wear.

6. Oct 26, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    i run a mountain hardware ghost whisperer most of the year. layer it under a soft shell (i have a mountain hardware precip discontinued model) for wind breaker and protect the trash bag material most down jackets are made out of now. ive done multiple 14ers in the winter with a long sleeve under and was fine. carhartt would be nice if youre outside working a bunch and need something durable. i have like 3 pairs of those $10 costco gloves and they are great. a pair in my truck, pair in my bag, and another floater. i might pick up another set this year because why not.

a thing with down jackets is they wont be warm as soon as you put them on and need maybe 5 minutes to warm up from your body heat.

you could go chicago style and get a wool petticoat and a scarf.

tons of options out there, really just what price you wanna pay and what style youre looking for

686 and dakine and oakley are winter sports coats that work well

mountain hardware, patagonia, columbia, marmot, north face are outdoor/hiking brands that make some sport specific stuff but generally have products from cheap that work to expensive thats amazing.

RockiesTaco likes this.
  7. Oct 29, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
  8. Oct 30, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    303kyz

303kyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD
    Stock so far
    My issue is always the arm length? Very few companies seem to make tall sizes and I end up having to buy larger coats than I need or have short sleeve coats.

Wulf likes this.
  9. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:09 PM
    hammer88999

hammer88999 Member

Member:
    Front Range CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRDSport
    Toytec BOSS with remote reservoir, BOSS leaf packs
  10. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    Evdunn

Evdunn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Carhartt jacket with a zip up hoodie or flannel shirt-jacket if it's really cold.
    I live in Central Alberta, so I'm usually not even in a jacket unless it's below -10

Wulf and Martyinco like this.
  11. Nov 19, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    -10 C or -10 F

substantial difference............

jackn7 and Evdunn like this.
  12. Nov 19, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    If it is for working... listen to the other guys (Carhartt). If you want to be comfortable walking around at 0 degree's... Canada Goose... https://www.canadagoose.com/ca/en/home-page ... My first Expedition is 13 years old, had to repair it a few times. Lifetime warranty. I wear a t-shirt under them in a blizzard... of course price has tripled since I bought my first one...

13. Nov 19, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    Evdunn

Evdunn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Haha true!
    Celsius, but come January when I'm a bit more acclimated, a hoodie and North face vest is all I'll wear at -20 (-10 F) if I'm out running errands etc.

14. Nov 19, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Hey....at 35, I'm looking for a swim pool and an ice cold beer. o_O

35C is nearly 100F........:cheers:

Evdunn and jackn7 like this.
  15. Nov 19, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    Saturnine

Saturnine YVAN EHT NIOJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Dar C
    North of the wall
    Vehicle:
    TRD go brrrr
    All the mods
    Try Arc'teryx. They are very expensive but pretty much follow the cut of what a climber needs so the arms are longer because you'd be reaching up a lot. I feel like I have to size down because of arm length

Evdunn likes this.
  16. Nov 19, 2020 at 8:09 AM
    Fohu

Fohu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glade park Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd or access cab
    Black diamond stance belay pants and hoodie. it’s like walking around in a sleeping bag

17. Nov 19, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    CoTacos

CoTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma TRD OR DCSB Prem. Tech
    DiamondBack SE RCI Armor Max Modular 14 Rack Collapsing Suspension
    I'm a whore for jackets, so I just bought the REI 850 magma or whatever from well....REI. Half off 210 so 110 bucks gets you 4.2 oz of 850 goose down fill Which basically beats out the Arcteryx and patagonia jackets of a similar category. Arc uses less down fill, but still 850 quality. Patagonia uses less fill, and 800 down.

Of course, it ultimately depends on your use case.

18. Nov 19, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    GSDLVR123

GSDLVR123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randall
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro (Solar Octane)
    I've been a LONG time Filson Customer (25-30 years) - I own a lot of their Wool and Tin Cloth items as well as many other items (belts are great as are their canvas/tin cloth luggage/bags). In the winter - I usually wear a Tin Cloth Field Coat (discontinued and replaced with the Field Jacket - basically the same coat but with snaps rather than buttons) with a mackinaw wool vest under it. They still have great items, though their customer service is not close to what it was, it is still pretty good. I recently bought a couple of wool and Canvas vests from Stormy Kromer...I'm very impressed - I'd encourage folks to take a look at this brand, as it is great quality and all but a few of their items are USA Made. We own a horse farm on a river so we like items that can take abuse and still look good.

mcharfauros and jackn7 like this.
  19. Nov 21, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    What are you looking to do with the jacket? If it's just to wear around town between the car and the store anything will do, it doesn't get cold around here. The longer you'll be out the more you need, with a big focus on wind resistance since that seems to never stop in Colorado.

Wulf likes this.
  20. Nov 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    60+ years of Utah winters here. I’m to the point of wearing a fleece vest and fleece jacket 90% of the time. I have a cheap Burlington coat factory puffy down coat when I’m standing in super cold. I have a water proof breathable shell I use over the fleece. The trick to staying warm is not to sweat. As soon as you sweat you’re cold. For that reason I wear only man made materials like nylon/polyester when being active in cold weather. Cotton is a killer in cold. Just stay dry and you’ll stay warm.

Products Discussed in

To Top