1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter is coming… Driving 4x4 in the snow

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MTB_Tacoma, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Nov 9, 2022 at 7:11 PM
    MTB_Tacoma

MTB_Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Electric Lime Tacoma TRD Pro MT
    Hi all, got AWD vehicules before, but never had a 4x4. AWD is simple, it’s working by itself. All you need to do is turn off VSC when wheels are spinning trying to get out of a slippery situation.

I kinda understand 4hi would be used in situations when driving in a lot of snow on the ground (in or right after a snowstorm) and I should switch back to 2WD when I hit dry road. 4lo would really be the exception if I get stuck and nothing else works.

But what about all the other functions? There’s a nice thread explaining what they are, not really when to use them… In regular daily driving situations (worse would be reaching a snowy uphill trailhead to go fatbiking), when do you use the VSC, A-TRAC and locker buttons, if that makes sense?

Reading the manual, my guess would be if I get stuck and wheels are spinning, push the VSC button to engage Auto LSD in 2WD and see if it helps. If not, push it 3 seconds to deactivate the aids and try again. If not, try 4hi. Rinse and repeat with the VSC button. If all fails, 4lo, A-TRAC and finally locker. Really, in daily driving situations, I’m sure you only have to use 4hi from time to time and maybe the VSC button occasionally.

I know I’ll have opportunities to try soon, just wondering if I got it right.

I have a manual transmission, no MTS for me.

2. Nov 9, 2022 at 7:16 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Basically thats all you need, switch 2WD and 4WD as needed.

If you get stuck, experiment, the locker can actually cause you to sink more into the snow, a trac is more ideal sometimes. MTS is a gimmick, a trac and locker are simple and more usable.

MTB_Tacoma[OP] and Tacospike like this.
  3. Nov 9, 2022 at 7:18 PM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803

Products Discussed in

To Top