1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter paint protection

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Venom, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Sep 28, 2021 at 3:07 PM
    Venom

Venom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I always find that Mothers waxes was easy to remove if over applied. Meguiars can be a pain if over applied.

2. Sep 30, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    Darksport

Darksport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    NE Ohio (Cleveland)
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    33” BFG Ko2s,16” Method NV wheels, CMC, King 2.5 Remote Reservoir, Baja Kits UCAs
    In the past I used to use Collinite 476s. It worked alright and lasted maybe 6 months in the California sun, but was horrendous to remove after it had hazed over.
    I’m now in NE Ohio and the winters here are harsh. Salt everywhere. So this year I dug into this topic deeply and found a product that is supposed to last 6 months. 3M Auto Advanced Synthetic Liquid Wax. If anyone has any experience with this stuff I’d love to hear about it.

3. Sep 30, 2021 at 12:59 PM
    BDSKJChris

BDSKJChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD OR DCSB
    PRO-tip: apply the Klasse High gloss sealant glaze as wipe on/wipe off, use a MF applicator damp with warm water and it is easy as pie to apply and remove, Although the label says to wait 45-60 mins to cure before buffing it off, do not let it haze or dry, apply it, once you have good coverage, wipe and buff away. The results are the same either way and that way it is easier to remove. you can also add it to QD sprays to use as a booster, I like it with Finish Kare 425.

Jackie Moon[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 30, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    Jackie Moon

Jackie Moon Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB OR 6MT
    I'll give this a try for sure, thanks! I don't remember if I waited that long to buff it off last time I used it, but I left it long enough to dry/haze. I got to test it for free with all the sweat that was pouring off me!

I'll try it in QD sprays too, why not, I've had the big bottle just sitting in my basement for years. It tough stuff but I hated how hard it was to use, hence my move toward frickin turtle wax haha! If I can use it up as a booster in QD sprays between full wax jobs (phrasing...) I'd be happy with that. I have so much mothers QD spray laying around from clay bar kits, I imagine that will be good enough.

Do you have any advice on application order of Klasse AIO and the turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray? The more I think about it, I should still do AIO first since the turtle wax says no surface prep is needed. I really wanna avoid spending an entire Saturday waxing my truck, these easy modern products are calling my name.

5. Sep 30, 2021 at 1:18 PM
    BDSKJChris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    I don't know enough about the hybrid ceramic spray to say for sure. I know the megs ceramic spray wax says your first application should be like waxing or sealing, (surface prep, spray on, spread, haze, buff, let cure) then subsequent applications can be spray on and washed surface while wet then rinse off. I would think that the acrylic component of the AIO would be weaker that the ceramic component of the turtle wax and interfere with it's bonding and curing to the paint, so it might not be the best idea to use it at all with the ceramic spray. If you are going to clay, then I would just do a quick post clay wash with something like megs 62 or FK 118 then apply the ceramic spray. if you aren't going to clay, do the AIO first and see how it shakes out.

Jackie Moon[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 30, 2021 at 2:01 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    AIO first then spray.

7. Oct 4, 2021 at 7:33 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Will the spray bond to the AIO? Jeopardizing the durability.

Will a spray ceramic bond to the same brand of the underlying protection?

8. Oct 4, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    AIO being an all in one would remove some of the spray ceramic as it does have a polish in it. If I was going through the trouble of using Klasse, I would just apply a traditional ceramic product and then top with a spray.

To answer your question about ceramic spray bonding to it, I have no idea. I never tried it. I think of ceramic sprays as a spray on sealant or a booster.

Venom[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 4, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Do you think any of the ceramic spray has any kind of durability, by itself?

10. Oct 4, 2021 at 3:41 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    i would think so. Didn’t someone post a video on here from YouTube?

Find something and use it often is key.

11. Oct 4, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Aren't these YouTube video testing, considered as being in a control environment ? In real world there's UV exposure, salt, bird bombs, etc.

The million dollar question is which one. There so many false advertised, over hyped products in the market.

12. Oct 4, 2021 at 3:49 PM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Has anyone tried Ethos ceramic pro wax?

13. Oct 4, 2021 at 4:12 PM
    Jackie Moon

Jackie Moon Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB OR 6MT
    Klasse calls the AIO a polish but AFAIK it doesn't contain an abrasive. The issue I would see with it would either be the chemical cleaner, or the ability of the ceramic to bond to the acrylic left behind by the AIO.

Also, FWIW, Klasse AIO is easy as pie to use, it's the "high gloss sealant glaze" that's the b*tch haha!

These spray ceramics definitely do, I used this turtle wax on my gf's car at the end of spring and the thing beaded water like mad all summer long.

Don't expect UV protection from the "wax" product. UV protection comes from your clearcoat, which we want to maintain with wax. Bird bombs and salt are all easier to clean off when you have wax on the clearcoat.

The "which one?" question, for me, is only answered by being honest with yourself about which one you enjoy using. That's the one you'll actually use! Who cares how tough ceramic coatings are if it's such a big pain in the ass that you never want to apply it? I'd say that whatever it is, a $15 bottle of spray wax that takes me 30min to apply and beads water, is a great product to use. Don't buy into the advertising, and don't buy into the boutique hype either (see comment about UV protection above).

To answer all your questions, I just finished exterior detailing this weekend. I washed, clay barred, then used AIO, and topped it with the Turtle Wax Hybrid ceramic spray. If it doesn't work, well at least I tried. In that case I will cut out AIO from the process above and just use it as a wash product. I did my gf's car with the turtle wax directly on the clay barred bare paint for comparison.

14. Oct 4, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    The videos I would watch are the ones who leave the panel outside.

Yes, plenty of over hyped products. Stick with trusted brands and you will be fine.

15. Oct 5, 2021 at 5:17 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Do you find the Turtle Wax streaking? I tried the Spay n Shine, it was streaking like mad.

On the bottle of Optimum Spay Wax it's written on the bottle that contains patented UV inhibitors. Meguiars told me in a phone call that wax leaves a sacrificial layer behind. It leaves some protection but not long lasting.

Does carnauba leave some kind of protection naturally? This is why it withstand the sun in Brazil.

For me, in the winter with no access to a garage it's hard to wash a vehicle outside in below freezing temperatures. It could months between washes. My paint protection has to last through winter to withstand the winters abuse. I can't 2nd guess which product should I use because I don't have a chance to reapply anything. Does matter how easy the product is to use.

If you use Klasse, from what I read that stuff is durable. It should withstand a lot abuse without using a topper. That is if the formula hasn't change.

16. Oct 5, 2021 at 5:20 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Most YouTube videos doesn't leave the panels outside. Too time consuming.

The one that I did watch was from Chicago Auto Pros. I don't know how accurate they are but I find them entertaining.

17. Oct 5, 2021 at 5:58 AM
    BDSKJChris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    All this contemplating about what to use first, what will work best, which youtube "review" is best, etc...If your truck currently has no protective coating, put down the phone, tablet, or walk away from the computer, go outside and get something on it. I have never seen paint damaged by incorrectly layering products, only from improper/irregular washing and no paint protection of any kind.

Jackie Moon and gorram like this.
  18. Oct 5, 2021 at 6:07 AM
    BDSKJChris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    use Klasse then, apply it as I described in post #63, clay/decontaminate your paint and 2 coats of the high gloss sealant glaze will last all winter with no problem. you are overthinking this. Also, the formula for klasse will likely never change. if you want to overcomplicate things and wash in the winter weather do what I did and build a completely self-contained car washing cart, no hoses, no power cords, plenty of water for a winter wash, no waiting in line at the diy bay.

ace96 likes this.
  19. Oct 5, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    This, and for that matter don't layer products, it doesn't add anything at best you'll luck out that it doesn't perform worse by layering.

Also don't rely on reviews for longevity advice. By all means watch them for info or entertainment but otherwise they're either shilling for the product but most importantly they're not dealing with the exact situation as your vehicle and environment.

If you want greater than 6 months, apply a coating.

20. Oct 5, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    I don't usually bother. You are way over thinking it. Just find some product and try it out. Reputable brands are key.

To Top