1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter paint protection

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Venom, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:00 AM
    Jackie Moon

Jackie Moon Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB OR 6MT
    Their Hybrid Solutions ceramic spray hasn't streaked at all for me. Just follow the instructions on the bottle, mainly making sure your car is fully dry.

Remember when we just talked about marketing hype? That's why the bottle and sales rep told you it has UV inhibitors. It might have them, but the layer being put down is too thin to make a difference. Clearcoat preservation is the key here, the sacrificial layer ensures water beads up and contaminants are easy to clean off. Every time it rains or snows or you clean bugs off your paint, it takes some of that wax layer with it.

Carnauba is generally just nice to look at, it has the worst durability. I'd do a single coat of the turtle wax ceramic spray with zero prep work (apart from cleaning) before I did a shit ton of clay barring etc. and only put carnauba down. As far as I can tell, withstanding the sun in Brazil sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo to me. Ask someone in Phoenix, or a high-altitude town, about UV abuse! Cars in the Arizona sun have no rust but also no clearcoat after a few years haha.

I hear ya on the lack of washing options through winter, I live in Denver and it's not exactly easy here either. I fill my buckets with hot water in the house and wash as fast as I can whenever I get a warm day. Honestly, a little QD is probably good enough to scrape by the really cold months. January-March is when I usually give up haha. That's when I only make an effort to get an undercarriage spray to keep excessive mag chloride off the rubber bits. I'd pick a ceramic or acrylic sealant to get through that time frame out here, carnauba is for show room cars that get rubbed with diapers.

Klasse All-In-One is the bomb. Again, I might just end up using it as both a wash and wax product once my truck is older and I don't care quite so much. Whether or not the formula has changed, what it is now rocks. Shake well and apply it very very thin.

Touchless automatic car washes are ok in dire straits, primarily for the undercarriage spray, or get a cheap pressure washer with an undercarriage sprayer attachment and do it yourself to keep the detergents off your paint if that's a worry in the dead of winter.

2. Oct 6, 2021 at 4:21 AM
    Venom

Venom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I bought jescar ultra lock plus and was disappointed. I don't want to buy bunch of products and have a shelf collection or toss in the circular file. I don't want to installed a coating on this SUV.

From members here the Meguiars Ceramic wax, was short lived but they like the product. Name brand doesn't always equal quality.

3. Oct 6, 2021 at 5:29 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    It could be it's a clack SUV. Body temperature are high that maybe causing the streaking.

Would you spray cold water to remove the streaking or more product?

Some car care companies uses similar UV blockers as found in sunscreen lotion. I learned a lot talking to Dr. David Ghodoussi owner/chemist of Optimum Car Care.

The sacrificial layer does block some not all UV rays. Optimum Car Wax was the one I mentioned with patent UV inhibitors.

Carnauba is quite durable, but it depends on how it was made into a wax. Harly Wax was quite durable for a carnauba wax, 3 to 4 months for protection. Some people got more. Collinite wax are probably the longest lasting carnauba wax on the market today.

I wash cars in the winter before. Once, I washing the SUV dunking the wash mitt in/out the wash bucket, then the next time I dunk the mitt the water was had a 3" ice layer on the top of the bucket.

I don't use hot water to wash the any vehicle in the winter. I think there might be a chance of the glass cracking.

Sometimes I may bring the vehicle to a touchless car wash so my driveway won't turned to ice, plus being on a hill I don't want to slide down.

From reading on the Autogeek/Autopia forums, Klasse is a good product but it's hard to remove. As you mentioned thin is in. Most comments are there's modern products out that is more durable, better looks, easy to use. But, Klasse is one of the best old school products on the market.

4. Oct 6, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Many love Jescar. Everyone has different experiences with products. Example, I do not care for Klasse AIO. It was ok product in my opinion but nothing outstanding about it. Again my experience.

When I refer to reputable brands, I should clarify and say brands detailers use. I do not nor would I ever recommend Megs or any big box store item. I would look to Carpro, Gyeon, GTechniq, Optimum, etc.

Ultimately you are heading in the direction of analysis paralysis.

Venom[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 6, 2021 at 12:09 PM
    GilaTrails

GilaTrails Well-Known Member

Member:
    Champaign IL / Safford AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Matching Colored Tire Valve Caps
    I just drive away from the Midwest before they start salting then come back in May.

BDSKJChris and ace96 like this.
  6. Oct 7, 2021 at 5:30 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    I want to try something new, like in Ceramics but know nothing about. I should stick with what I know. I have gotten 6 months plus from 3M performance finish, and Menzerna Powerlock, old formula.

I don't want to coat it since it's getting traded in, next year.

7. Oct 7, 2021 at 5:37 AM
    BDSKJChris

BDSKJChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD OR DCSB
    At this point, that sounds like less effort than reading this entire thread.

8. Oct 7, 2021 at 5:45 AM
    BDSKJChris

BDSKJChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD OR DCSB
    whenever I want to learn a new process, I test things out on my toolbox. I am buying a tractor and have an older bottle of cquartz uk 3.0 that I will use to cut my teeth on. but if you are trading in in <12 months, I would really recommend Klasse high gloss sealant glaze, it's inexpensive, a bottle lasts forever, and it holds up great, even in NY winters. Worst case scenario is you don't like it and either sell it, use it for other stuff around the house, or it sits on a shelf forever and you only are out 20-25 bucks.

9. Oct 7, 2021 at 5:59 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    If you are trading next year then it really doesn’t matter what you use. I wouldn’t put that much effort in finding a product for something I am not keeping.

Venom[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Oct 7, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    In a way I was thinking, it would be a test bed on what product last, how to apply. Plus I went through 40+ hours of polishing, making a turd look like a diamond, that I want to protect it from fading, etching again.

11. Oct 7, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    40 hours? Is there any paint left?

12. Oct 7, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    After I remove all the tree & bushes scratches with M101, M105 I then use M205. I spent a lot time in the final polishing but it was worth it.

Still a lot of nasty orange peel left. No paint thickness gauge.

I posted this picture in other thread before. I right after a quick polish with M205.

IMG_5326.jpg

13. Oct 18, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    TheSortaHawaiian

TheSortaHawaiian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Lunar Rock TRD Pro
    This year's result of washes/clay/power lock/collinite 845 and two days of work:

PXL_20211017_182838495~3.jpg

Can't decide if I just want to get the Tacoma front clip xpel'd and ceramic coated at a detailer for this winter. I'm getting tired of detailing this late in the year, and I sorta just want to eventually build up a full xpel wrap on the Tacoma.

This guy took two days too and is about to go away for winter...this ones a heavy wash, clay and Pinnacle Sovereign wax. I'm just tired of washing lol...a Tacoma seems insurmountable before the end of the month, especially working with leafs blowing around:
    PXL_20211010_202753561.jpg

I dunno...maybe I have a wash, clay in me and try the turtle wax ceramic spray for the winter on the Tacoma then I'll correct it and maybe have it xpel'd and coated in the spring.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  14. Dec 6, 2021 at 9:22 PM
    716cummins

716cummins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    01 cummins 6 speed, 2010 Tacoma OR
  15. Dec 7, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    TacomaMike25

TacomaMike25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4cyl 4x4
    2 inch lift, Level 8 Mk6 wheels 16x8 with a 275/85r16, Aftermarket fogs with yellow bulbs, AVS bug deflector, Weather Rain guards, secondary air filter delete. PIAA halogen bulbs
    I just did my truck and rav4 last weekend. I am a huge fan of Chemical Guys products. They seem to give me great results. With winter coming around in the NE its going to be a bi weekly spray down and touchless wash until spring.
    • CG Honeydew snowfoam
    • Mothers Claybar
    • Hydrosilix Wheel Cleaner
    • CG Trim and Tire
    • Nexgen Ceramic Spray
    2C08F812-75B0-4059-80C2-CAF2C618FF5E.jpg
    702FDD51-45BC-49C2-A05A-F20EFEA44940.jpg
    1B58C00C-EF76-454C-83FB-9C4B0A99834B.jpg
    B3F2CC38-8478-4EDD-B2D2-BD93E0823E42.jpg
    CDB50B3E-5054-4B43-BAD3-293C48154AB9.jpg
    881E5B53-515D-4946-914F-DF61BFCF4166.jpg

27C48839-F888-4760-9B5B-60EA484677BB.jpg

SilverBulletII likes this.
  16. Dec 8, 2021 at 11:41 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Collonite 845 is an excellent wax, I've used it many times, but I wouldn't recommend it anywhere near the top of my list for harsh winters. What I would recommend 845 for is a great, warm looking finish with medium (at best) durability. If you really like Collonite products, their 476S Double Wax (or even their Fleet Wax) is more durable in my personal experience. That said, most polymer sealants offer approximately double the life of any conventional wax and ceramic coatings offer even more durability. I should also note that how well any of the above mentioned products perform is subject to how well the surface is prepared too.

17. Dec 8, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    716cummins

716cummins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    01 cummins 6 speed, 2010 Tacoma OR
    I haven't tried their other products, thanks for the recommendations I will give those a shot! Their plant is just a few hours from me.
    I see you are also in the North, what's been your top wax for long lasting durability from experience? Thanks

18. Dec 9, 2021 at 3:48 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Yes, I'm not too far away from where Collonite products are made either. That's why I'd used them for years. I'd say their longest lasting / most durable product is the 476S. I will warn you that if you apply it on a hot day, you'd better be out of the sun and only do one panel at a time. If you don't, you'll be removing the haze with a chisel.

As much as I like using a (sort of) locally made product, I haven't used any Collonite products in many years. Traditional carnauba wax products just don't have even close to the durability and ease of use of polymer sealants. When I use one of them on a customer car (I detail out of my house), I use Menzerna / Jescar Power Lock. Much easier to apply and remove and it lasts at least twice as long. BTW, the newest version of Power Lock doesn't seem to last as long as the (still available) original product.

If you want even better durability - at the expense of much more involved prep and application - ceramic coatings are the only way to fly. Properly applied, they can last several years.

Steves104x4 likes this.
  19. Dec 13, 2021 at 5:04 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Where did you find the original version of Power Lock? I have one version that, durability wasn't what it used to be so I figure it went bad.

Jescar Ultra Lock didn't last that long, had better luck with Power Lock.

20. Dec 13, 2021 at 5:12 AM
    Venom

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Thanks everyone for replying!

It's good to read what everyone is using.

To Top