1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter suspension upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Voodoo Rufus, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Nov 19, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders, Icon/Dakar suspension, rear sway bar, Konig CountersteerX 17 with Kumho Road Venture SAT 265/70-17 tires
    Firstly, I'll explain my driving habits. I am a driving enthusiast, and enjoy twisty paved roads. I also like bombing along on unpaved county roads. Generally these do not have big bumps and dips, but can have potholes made from mud and large trucks, and washboard. I soon plan to add a rear sway bar because I am displeased with the lack of "sportiness" in my TRD Sport model on pavement. I don't plan on doing any serious rock crawling. Light trail riding perhaps. I hope that gives an idea of the kind of driving fun and I have or plan to do with my pickup. I drive my Subaru with serious summer and winter tires to its full extent, and though I know I drive a truck also, I would like it to handle better than it currently is capable of. I also plan on installing an aftermarket plate bumper of around 120 pounds weight, as well as sliders, rear bumper and perhaps under-chassis skids.

My stock leafs are in negative arch slightly. Since this truck is fairly new and low miles, I am unsure how this may have happened, but I do know that this is bad for load carrying and handling. Since I like to have decent handling, I wish to keep the CG as low as possible. I have ruled out lowering the truck because I do wish to keep a reasonable amount of ground clearance, and the cross member is low enough as is in stock form. I would also like to maximize wheel travel without resorting to a SUA setup. The most I plan to tow in the future is 200 pound tongue weight, 1500 pound trailer weight. This would be a sailplane trailer.

What I'm looking at:

Rear suspension:
    Custom Alcan springs (1" lift over stock, no overload leafs). Perhaps the Wheeler's Alcans?
    Defined Eng. shackles
    Some form of improved bump stops (Wheelers or Timbrens)
    All Pro U-bolt flip
    Upgraded rear shocks - King or Icon

Front suspension:
    King or Icon external reservoir coilovers
    Upgraded ball-joint UCAs?

Questions:
    Is having equal amounts of bump and droop travel optimal, or can one have less bump travel and maintain good off-road characteristics for what I plan to do?
    Are there any disadvantages to the All Pro u-bolt flip for handling or axle wrap?
    King or Icon for on-road performance? From what I've read Icon may be firmer for on-road where Kings are preferred off-road.
    Can I still align the wheels well with upgraded UCAs at stock height? I know they are necessary for maximum travel with the stock LCAs. I plan on using 31.5-32.5" tires.

I know I'm missing a question in here, but I look forward to the responses. Thanks for reading this lengthy post.

2. Nov 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I'm pretty sure that all of your suspension upgrades, although great, will lead to a less "sporty" ride on the street.

No matter what suspension components you get, a swaybar will hinder their travel; no need for UCAs if no lift; they will greatly increase durability though.

As for the tuck/droop ratio: for the giant potholes and such, you'll be happier with more droop. But yes, in the middle is a good place to be.

IMO, outfit the truck for off-road and then get that Subaru dialed in for the twisties.

3. Nov 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Icons are digressive, meaning they are stiffer on small hits but softer on large hits

Kings a progressive, meaning they are softer on small hits but harder on large hits.

IMO progressive coilovers are the way to go for mostly street rides. Ive ridden in a tacoma with kings, and I have progressive foxes and the ride is very plush.

4. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders, Icon/Dakar suspension, rear sway bar, Konig CountersteerX 17 with Kumho Road Venture SAT 265/70-17 tires
    If I understand this correctly, it sounds like the Icons would be better for me. Stiffer on the road yet softer off road, right? I like a firm yet controlled on-road ride.

The Subaru is not getting modified any more. I put a nice set of Dunlop Direzza Z1s on it, and it handles plenty fine to me. The truck may replace it as the daily driver eventually, but I also want it to be capable of going more places than a car.

5. Nov 20, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    if you like a firm ride then yes, but you will feel the imperfections of the road more.

6. Nov 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon ET Coilovers, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    Why do you think you need a rear sway bar? With a solid axle there is no camber change with body roll. Is your truck pushing (understeering) in corners?

7. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    Voodoo Rufus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, very much so. I want the handling to be more neutral. It understeers heavily.

To Top