1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter tires - my opinion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Thundjet, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Dec 22, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    Thundjet

Thundjet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012, V6, Sport TRD, Auto, 4 wd
    First, I didnt put this on the tire and wheel section because I thought it would get more attention here. If I am incorrect feel free to move it.

Truck is a 2012 Sport TRD V6 auto short bed. Our roads in Alaska are bascially covered in either snow or ice from Nov till April. The first 100 miles on the truck I was very impressed by the traction in 4wd with the stock tires but noticed even with ABS it didnt stop that well on the ice, and that's to be expected. When going around an intersection with a couple of inches of loose snow the truck had a tendency to "drift".

This morning had a set of four Hankook 245x70x17 studded winter tires installed on the stock wheels. Noticed a small amount of tire noise but otherwise they changed the truck from being average in the snow to outstanding. I didnt stand on the brakes but even with firm pressure on the pedal didnt realize any sliding when trying to stop at the same intersections used before the snows were installed.

Thumbs up to studded Hankook's:)

2. Dec 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    while i drive on hankook's myself, i think almost any studded tire is going to give you similar results. i'd love a pair of studded tires myself for winter driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top