1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

winter tires or not

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Amo cat, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Sep 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    RyanK1

RyanK1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Penticton, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, TSB rear with block spacer, Procomp ES9000's, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, swaybar removed, DIY HiLift mount, Rear diff breather mod, ABS Kill Switch, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Superwinch 8500
    I'm from the BC interior and this is my families daily driver so I most definetly run a dedicated winter tire. 265/70/17 Arctic claws with ~ 150lbs of winter weight.

2. Sep 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    Series1000

Series1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    Lots
    I run LT235/85R16 bfg ko ats that have the snowflake. Its almost boring in the snow now, and I look for snow- and try and get stuck. if the rubber can touch the road then I have no worries about getting out.

3. Sep 24, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    Amo cat

Amo cat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5 TRD Sport 4x4
    Paint scratches, a few dents - almost complete
    thanks for all the replies...i think i am going to put them on the stock rim and come spring get some aftermarket wheels and some new at's...

4. Nov 19, 2012 at 5:23 AM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    I wouldn't drive without winters on my truck I drive in pretty harsh conditions all winter, I just got Yokohame Geolandar I-T G072, and run my A/T in the summer. if your driving in lots of snow and ice and in winters of -30 the A/T compound becomes to hard and just won't grip to the ice and snow.

anyway it really depend where you live. and when you drive your truck.

5. Nov 19, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    We live in NE Tennessee, a "southern" state, but in the four years we have been living up here on the mountain, three winters were long, with ice and snow for months. They plow the nearest paved road, but the last 1/2 mile is steep, and the snow, even with a snowblower, compacts to slick ice that can last weeks or months. I have a set of studded snow tires for the Taco, while the wife has blizzaks for the wrangler. We need snow tires AND four wheel drive to deal with the ice.

On the other hand, we normally put them on in mid November, and off by end of February.

Howard

6. Nov 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    sheamus

sheamus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Regina, SK
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR
    Two that that have already been said in this thread:
    1. Two sets of tires should last twice as long as one set. So it isn't costing more.
    2. Winter tires on icy roads, and snow will eat even a m/s all season for lunch. Every year I put winters on, I am amazed.

I have had excellent luck with Hankooks, and Nordics both of which are pretty reasonable. Have had some Saxon's (used no idea where these are from), and some wal-mart brands. Neither of them were that great. My Mazda B2200 has Hankook's with studs (extra $5 for studs), and it is like having a 4x4. Most people can't park in the back all in winter here becase of snow build up. I park there all winter long.

7. Nov 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    Ltens

Ltens New Member

Member:
    saskatoon sask canada
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab 4x4
    2inch lift.
    I just installed a set of Toyo GSI 5 265/65 17 on my 07 double cab. And let me tell you after a month of snow and ice they are an absolute compliment to the Tacoma! Not only in the city but plowing thru the frozen hinterlands of northern Saskatchewan. Getting down snow blown roads to my deer stands is a breeze! Hardly even need 4x4 anymore. And there is plenty of snow to contend with already with an early winter. Cant wait for ice fishing so i can drive it on frozen lakes.
    I FIRMLY BELIEVE that in most Canadian regions they should be mandatory.

8. Nov 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    AcadianTaco

AcadianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    N.B. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OFFROAD
    OME 885X with Bilstein 5100, Dakars with 5125, Wheeler's bumpstops, LR UCA
    I run winter tires on Tundra steelies, same center bore and about 4.5" BS . Bought the rims on Kijiji for $130.00.

9. Nov 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    BackCountry

BackCountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    I've been having the same debate with myself. I would really only need them for a handful of times, but they sure would be helpful then... This is my first 4x4 and for that matter I haven't been in a truck for a long time. I was wondering if the all seasons combined with 4 wheel drive and some weight in the back would help me get a little further. I'll likely wait till we get some snow and hit the big hill and see what happens...

10. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:26 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I thought I could get by with Cooper Discover ST with 200# of weight in my 2wd dodge 1/2 ton, and that failed, then I tried studded snows on all four wheels, and that failed and finally went to a 4x4 taco with studded snows. Trail and error...

11. Nov 29, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Winter tires of the Blizzak-style will help you out with ice and hard-packed snow. The pores in the tire compound and extra siping allows the water created by the tires going over ice and hard pack out from under the tire much faster than all-season tires. This allows for better contact with the ground.
    Drive in icy conditions enough? Get them!

12. Nov 29, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    This X2^ real snow tires. On in Dec. off in Apr.(can't stand the noise) Firestone Winter Force on the truck and the wife's Scion.

13. Nov 29, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    you can't beat snow tires on ice and snow... AT will work ok up to a certain temperture, when it gets to -20c and lower you will pray you had proper winter tires, I just got mine on my 2013 Tacoma and its night and day! no need to put extra weight in your bed, just run with it all winter.

14. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    I got the winterforce UV with studs in the 245/70R17 spec for $96 with shipping...and they are on their third season. Perhaps I can kill them this winter

15. Nov 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Found on Google.

Frank
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saxon Snowblazers seem to be a private brand of tire sold in Canada principaly by La Cie Canada Tire Inc.

They are manufactured in the US by , Eldorado Tire was established in Michigan in 1966 by Kelly Calamari, as a member-owned private brand tire company.

In 1970, The Cooper Tire and Rubber Company became the exclusive manufacturer of Eldorado Tires and in 1995 Treadways Corporation became the owner of the company.

Now headquartered near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, they sell their tires to over 90 distributors to hundreds of dealers all over North America.

Products Discussed in

To Top