1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter tires?

Discussion in 'British Columbia (BC)' started by justSomeGirl, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Sep 16, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD Offroad Automatic
    Are you planning on keeping the stock tires and wheels to use in the summer? If yes then I would get a true snow tire for the winter. A snow tire can't be beat on snowy roads. Another nice thing about snow tires it that they are usually cheaper than an all terrain tire. I have Firestone Winterforce 2 tires on my wife's 4runner and they are better in the snow than the Toyo Open Country II tires that I run on my Tacoma year round.

2. Sep 16, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    justSomeGirl

justSomeGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Ah that was the other thing. If I get the Falken Wildpeaks, I was thinking of just selling my stock tires. Shame, cause I just got the truck in May so they're pretty brand new.

If I go with the true winter tire for the winter, I definitely would be keeping my stock tires for the summer and probably get a set of steelies for the winters.

3. Sep 16, 2021 at 9:26 PM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    As a rule of thumb don't fuck with the Coq without good winter tires. Too many crashes happen because people think all seasons or all terrains are good enough. They are not. A lot of winter tires, such as Nokian LT3s or General Grabber Arctic LTs are 10 ply so you don't need to worry about punctures as much as you think.

4. Sep 17, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD Offroad Automatic
    Having two sets of tires is nice. Its nice to have an extra set of tires in case you have tire troubles and you wont have to buy anymore tires for a long long time.

5. Sep 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Ah thank you, that's good advice. I'm back on the fence again, so I'll go do some more research on winter tires. Would non-10 ply winter tires be okay on FSRs that are muddy and have gravel and rocks poking through the snow?

6. Sep 17, 2021 at 12:43 PM
    Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member in poor standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Canada Eh!
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6MT, Blazing Blue Pearl
    Manual Mall Crawler
    Tires are a big choice. I have been looking for a year or more trying to figure out what is best for me. I have experienced 'winter rated ' AT's in the snow and ice we get here... so a true winter rated tire is a must for me. Then the rest of the year it has to be an excellent all arounder. I have run radial Super Swampers and cheap AT's on previous vehicles. Experience with different tires doesn't make the choice easier.

7. Sep 17, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    Evostaco

Evostaco Jack of some of the trades, master of maybe 2

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2021 tacoma offroad, mt, superwhite
    If you have a decent all terrain/all season tire then there's no reason for special winter tires

justSomeGirl[OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 17, 2021 at 1:23 PM
    $yoda$

$yoda$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4.0
    2.5 inch lift, 285/75r16s, upgraded stereo system, Magnuson mp90 supercharger system.
    They aren’t really 10 ply. That’s an old term. Tires today when they say 10 ply it means it has the characteristics. Thicker sidewalls for more load capacity and bit better puncture resistance but it will give you a little stiffer ride. I’ve run several all terrains some better then others. I am running the duratracs now which are snow rated and I’m my experience there is no substitute for a true winter tire. If you are in any real snow my suggestion would be a second set of studded tires.

9. Sep 17, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    Speedfreak

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Canada Eh!
    Vehicle:
    Manual Mall Crawler
    Here is a great article about tire rating. Found it on another thread so not my find...

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdo...ything-you-need-know-about-all-terrain-tires/

justSomeGirl[OP], 604 and Rascal737 like this.
  10. Sep 17, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    $yoda$

$yoda$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4.0
    2.5 inch lift, 285/75r16s, upgraded stereo system, Magnuson mp90 supercharger system.
    Speedfreak[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 17, 2021 at 8:22 PM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    Anything LT rated is usually a pretty good bet. Winter tires can be SL rated (standard load) or XL rated (extra load, more durability) but you'll see terms like C, D, F, or E which are equivalent to 4 - 6 - 8 - 10 ply tires on LT tires. See the comment below, he corrected my outdated terminology. C rated for our trucks is plenty when you off road but if you are really worried about a freak puncture in the bush E rated is peace of mind. They'll ride softer in C than E by far but you do lose out on durability. That being said there's ways to get around punctures, such as airing down your tires when you get off road. The tires then flex vs pop over sharp objects. Let me know if I'm telling you shit you already know, I don't want to inundate you with info you may already have like a jackass unless I already have, then I apologize :rofl:

Yeah I should've specified "E" rated more than anything, like you said characteristics but fewer plies... We just get stuck with old terminology sometimes. Never been big on studded tires myself, but to each their own. I can see studded having WAY more value somewhere down south where you'll likely switch out your tires before, or a day near the highway rules.

12. Sep 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    You will be fine with Winters, these are Blizzack 40+km up a FSR mid-December in the interior..

[​IMG]

I've also run Rallies in our Subaru all winter with X-ice winter tires.. no problems ever..

13. Sep 20, 2021 at 4:58 PM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
  14. Sep 20, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    No, not at all! I know nothing about tires and am learning about all these terms recently. I really appreciate all this information and for everyone taking the time to comment!

15. Sep 20, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I’ve been running BFG Commercial Traction tires in the Winter for the last 10 years and they really have been a life saver (at least once). Good luck out there!

16. Sep 22, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    DanoTay

DanoTay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR AC MT
    True winter rated tires have the "3 peak mountain/snowflake" symbol aka 3PMSF stamped on the sidewall, however tires stamped with "M+S" are also legal in winter in B.C. and that is what comes stock on a TRD OR.
    I spend my summers in Victoria and winters at Sun Peaks and for the past 2 winters have been fine with the stock Goodyears, year round. My winter/spring 250' driveway can be a challenge but any shortcomings with the stock tire is more than overcome by the Taco's 4x4 off road capability.

Last winter I bought new tires for my Dodge Cummins diesel with truck camper. My indy mechanic shop is a Falken dealer and they sold me a set of Falken Rubitrek tires that I really like and preform better than my Tacoma's tires in the tough going.

Rubitrek is a fairly new offering from Falken and while it is an on/off road tire it is not as off road aggressive as the Wildpeak. A tread comparison revealed that the grooves between the tread lugs are deep on both tires, the Wildpeak has greater spacing between the tread lugs.

My price for a set of 4 Falken Rubitrek 235/85/16, load range E, for my Dodge pickup, including mounting and balancing was $900CAD from Ideal Automotive in Kamloops.

I have a '93 MR2 as a summer car so I don't drive the Taco much in summer unless it is raining or I need to do some truck hauling stuff, so I run one set of tires year round. True winter tires (3PMSF) have rubber that stays soft and thus gives better traction when the temps get below freezing but they don't wear very well in warm summer temps. Still, I figure getting a little less life out of a tire is cheaper than investing in a second set of wheels and the hassle of change over and tire and wheel storage. In short, I don't seasonally change tires, I change vehicles.:D

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  17. Sep 27, 2021 at 10:41 PM
    DuffyBank

DuffyBank Well-Known Member

Member:
    I get my DuraTracs siped when I buy them

18. Nov 22, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Just wanted to update saying I got my winter wheels on a couple days ago. Ended up going with the Nokian Hakka R3 SUVs and loving the rugged look of the steelies :D Also picked up some v-bar chains, all set now for some winter fun.

20211120_153924.jpg

19. Nov 22, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    Speedfreak

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Canada Eh!
    Vehicle:
    Manual Mall Crawler
    Nice choice :thumbsup: looks great, definitely ready for winter to hit.

Come on winter:fingerscrossed:no more rain:annoyed:

20. Nov 22, 2021 at 5:04 PM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Thank you! And looks like we got a bit of waiting to do...in Vancouver anyways haha

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.00.44 PM.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top