1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter tires

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Korby, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Nov 25, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!), Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradle + Wheelers Bump stops, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II,
    I bought this 601 https://www.autel.com/autelcms/TPMS Diagnostic & Service Tool/476.jhtml which is an OBDII reader as well.

MikeyMcFly and Willy-N like this.
  2. Nov 25, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    D. Lengua

D. Lengua Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited LB
    i'm curious how many miles on their tires those with Blizzaks or Nokians get. i assume it must vary quite a bit with road conditions/how warm their winter is, etc.

vicali likes this.
  3. Nov 25, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    I ran Blizzak DMv1 from 2013 to 2020 so seven winters, roughly 5000k each season, so around 35,000 miles. When I replaced them they probably had two or three 'ok' seasons left.

Replaced them with DMv2 and ready for another 8 years..

D. Lengua likes this.
  4. Nov 25, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    nhpoke

nhpoke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    nh
    Vehicle:
    21 DCLB OR AG
    Similar to others, I bought a TPMS tool and some Schrader EZ Sensors.
    Cloned the stock sensor IDs into the new sensors.
    The TPMS tool I bought was the ATEQ VT36, just because I'm planning on doing something similar with my motorcycles, so I can have a set of "hot spare" tires sitting around and there are only a few tools compatible with my bike.

5. Nov 25, 2021 at 4:53 PM
    Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member in poor standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Canadian Eh
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6MT, Blazing Blue Pearl
    Manual Mall Cruiser
    I don't know how many kilometers but I am on my fourth winter with my Hakkapeliitta SUV R2's. The centre rib has the 32nds molded into the tread block. The 8/32nds is still nice and clear so still lots of life in them.

Edit: They are usually on for about 4½ to 5 months a year.

Willy-N and D. Lengua like this.
  6. Nov 25, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Un-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 SR SX ACLB 3.5 4X4, ‘99 TRD ACLB 3.4 4X4 434K Miles
    Usually get 30K-40K out them, though the second season after being new, they don’t feel like they are biting the same, then it goes downhill from there.

This go around I may sell at the end of the season, then buy new next. Thinking with snow tires you want them fresh as possible. Where a regular tire you can let it go until the tread wear warranty is up, since conditions aren’t as severe.

D. Lengua and Willy-N like this.
  7. Nov 25, 2021 at 9:44 PM
    Otto-x

Otto-x Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement DCLB OR
    I replace my blizzaks every 2-3 years and resell the old tires. Keeps the cost down and you get the best performance out of the tread. Win-win

BRFab, DingleTower, D. Lengua and 2 others like this.
  8. Nov 26, 2021 at 2:33 PM
    Willy-N

Willy-N Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eastern Washington Stat
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Too late now I bought mine here are the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus 265/70R16's 112T Tires. $150.00 Ea will be here Dec 1st. Also bought new Black Steel slotted Rims for them. That way the Originals are on the Factory Rims and Snow Rated on the Slotted Rims. Wanted the Winter Rating and a Deeper Chunky Tread. These are Run Flat Rated so my wife won't have to fix a flat on the side of the road. One place wanted $310.00 each for the tires had to go down the road. Bought 4 Rims and 4-Sensors for the savings. The tires have a 50,000 mile Warrantee best I could find. Did a lot of reading and for the money I like these. They will come off around May when the snow is leaving for Spring here. Here is a picture of the Tire on another rim and a picture of the Rims I bought. TOY Tires.jpg Rims.jpg
    Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus vs Falken WildPeak A/T3W (tirewheelguide.com)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    SwollenGoat likes this.
  9. Nov 29, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    Emkoeh7

Emkoeh7 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off-road DCLB/2003 ACLB SR5
    Dilemma here.. just got a 22 dclb or to replace my 03 xtracab. While living in MT I have always ran AT tires on the 03 during the winter and I am debating on either getting a set of blizzaks for the 22 or upgrading to 265/75/16 wildpeaks or ATXs on the new rig. I feel down the road if I went blizzaks I’d have to upgrade the stock Goodyear’s due to the amount of dirt roads I am on. Any thoughts?

10. Nov 29, 2021 at 11:21 AM
    coma toy

coma toy Off Road Taco

Member:
    Another Duratrac lover here. No more switching over tires twice a year, now I just do a tire rotation once a year

11. Nov 29, 2021 at 11:39 AM
    Willy-N

Willy-N Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eastern Washington Stat
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    The reason for me to have 2 sets is the winter tires last a long time if you only use them on the snowy time of the year. That way the tread stays at the MAX Traction for many more years. Not so concerned about the Summer time with wear but they also last many more years with good tread too. Now if you don't have 5 months of winter snow and ice your choice may be different then me. That is why reading what others say is pretty much for there area not mine. They may want to go off road and tear up the tires more wanting harder rubber. I go off road just driving to town for 5 miles each time then onto winding roads with shaded areas people slide off on forgetting it is always icy there. After 25 years of driving the same 24 miles of remote road I know what my truck and car needs and others have figured out what they need. I have drove on bald tires too and got home!! I like staying on the road in slush that is so un predictable when the plow screws up a good road base to clear it off. Coming around the corner at a normal speeds and wow the road now sucks!! Not pulling the Old man stuff but have been driving off road and living in the country for about 50 years now. During that time have heard a lot of stories about what gives the best traction and been stuck a few times to. Have raced my truck off road in the past against others. Been on 2 wheels both sideways and front end off the ground going up hill. Had all the tires off the ground 3-4 ft in the air and raced Baja's. Now I just enjoy driving but my butt knows what loosing traction feels like still even at 70years old! I did leave off I have rolled a few too and walked away one reason I wore seat belts before they were in cars!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021 at 11:53 AM
    D. Lengua likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top