1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter transmission heater

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Voodoo Rufus, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Jun 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    In very cold areas with arctic winter weather of -20F or lower, is there any benefit to using a pad heater of 100W range to keep the automatic transmission warmer than ambient? I drove my truck in that weather and never had any issues with the transmission shifting, but was curious anyway.

I have the block heater installed and intend to install an oil pan heater, with a battery warmer and maintainer on a temperature thermostatic plug.

2. Jun 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    very interesting..my MPG suck bad in the winter. Everylittle bit would help I imagine.

Get a timer to go off extension cord like 30mins before you drive and in theory it should help. Now would the cost of electricity exceed the benefits??

3. Jun 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    I plug my truck in at work, no cost to me.

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    LifeIsGood169

LifeIsGood169 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 5spd
    Chime Mod Kenwood Headunit Greased all Zerks, locks, and bushings Reverse Flood Lights Extang Cover Weather stripped tailgate Burner Fog Lights Toggle Switches in Dash
    How did this work out for you? The block heater, oil pan heater, battery heater, and transmission heater? Any pictures/advice? I'm thinking about doing this before this winter hits. It snowed today and it's freaking October and we are already at 30F. Last winter was real bad too.

5. Oct 28, 2011 at 2:33 AM
    Voodoo Rufus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    I think we'll find out in a couple months. I don't think it's a necessary thing, but it's a fairly cheap mod that surely can't hurt. The normal 250W pad heaters are too large for the V6 oil pan, so I was thinking about installing a pair of 125W heaters or maybe a single one instead.

6. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Since I have my scangauge to show transmission oil temperature, I can say that at these low temperatures we are getting right now up north, It takes quite a bit for the TFT temp to go above 100F... Maybe it could help a bit on fuel economy.

Also, speed treshold for converter lock-up in fifth speed is higher when transmission fluid temp is very low. Normally my converter locks up from 50 KM/H, but when it's cold outside, even at full engine temperature, my converter locks up only from 62-63 KM/H, untill later when the TFT is higher. This has some impact on city MPG.

7. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I wouldn't think there's much benefit to warming an auto transmission, they build up heat pretty quickly. As far as the engine goes, I believe the 4.0L comes ready to accept a block heater. Just buy the OEM block heater, drop it in and done. There's a plugged hole in the back of the engine made to accept the block heater.

8. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.

Know of anywhere to buy the oem engine block heater cheap?

9. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod

Products Discussed in

To Top