1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter Wheeling in Yellowstone Possible

Discussion in 'North West' started by zk6760, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Nov 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    zk6760

zk6760 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Hey All

I'm headed up to Jackson and WAS thinking about taking a day trip to Yellowstone around Thanksgiving. I never really thought too much about the snow shutting down the entire park.

Is there anywhere (light) to wheel in Jackson or Yellowstone in late November? Ideally I'd like to go spotting in Jackson and at least see something worthwhile in Yellowstone.

I have a stock 2010 Off Road and am looking for light wheeling options - even if it is just driving down access roads.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

2. Nov 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/travel/302102-mtgirls-yellowstone-grand-teton-travel-thread.html

Right now the parks are closed (GT is accessible from Moose Junction to Taggert Lake Trail head only and only the north road of Yelly between Gardiner & Cooke City is open to vehicles right now). Winter travel in the parks is restricted to snowmobile (after Dec. 15), snowshoes and XC skis. Regardless of the season there is no "wheeling" in the parks. All of the roads are paved and you must stay on the roads.

Grand Teton road info
    Yelly road info

There may be limited access on some of the forest service roads around the park as thanksgiving is also the end of hunting season. Call or stop by the USFS office in Jackson (on North Cache St) for a free winter use map or motor vehicle use map which will show any roads that are accessible to vehicles this time of year.

3. Nov 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Thanks for the info. I forgot how early Yellowstone gets snow - guess I'll have to get back up in the Spring. I'm bringing my pops with me - was hoping to get him out for some deer spotting. His suburban ass would love that, lol. I'll talk to the Forest Service guys when I get out there - or call again.

Thanks again.

4. Nov 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Grand Teton isn't an area you're going to see a lot of deer in - moose, antelope and elk more likely. Go to the Elk Refuge or drive up Hwy 89 to Moran Junction, I'm sure you'll see plenty of wildlife along that stretch of road

5. Nov 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Cool - by deer I really meant any sort of wildlife.

Last year we went to the Elk Refuge and saw not one elk - my luck!!

I'll definitely give it another shot.

6. Nov 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Is Ditch Creek Road plowed during winter? It looks remote enough for a good night drive to spot some wildlife.

7. Nov 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Benson X

Benson X My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    Not sure how much help this is, but I planned a trip to Yellowstone a few years back, and it turned out to be a bust.

I picked the "perfect" time of year (April) when they happened to close down most of the park for 2 weeks. Winter tours just ended, and they were prepping for spring...poor planning on my part :eek:

Anyway, me and the G/F made lemonade and explored a bunch or cool areas near Island Park. We took her little Sante Fe (pre-Taco days) through some impressive terrain, and made it down to the Tetons for some great day hikes.

You would probably find some fun off Highway-20:

- Sheep Falls Rd.
    - Graveyard Flats Rd.
    - Mesa Falls Scenic Byway
    - Anderson Flats / Canyon

We explored a lot of those areas, and went to the Upper Mesa Falls Interpretive Center. We spotted some moose, and HUGE lake Trout (20"+). I would have to dig through the pictures to give you more specific details, but that's all I got.

Good luck, and happy trails! :cheers:

8. Nov 16, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    zk6760

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    Awesome, I appreciate the info. I'll look some of that up before we head out. Jackson is our annual Thanksgiving 2 day getaway (only a 5 hour trip from SLC) so we'll have fun anyways. I was just curious where I could explore.

Products Discussed in

To Top