1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winterizing?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Iram, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Oct 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Iram

Iram [OP] Active Member

Member:
    My tacoma's first winter is coming up. It's a I4 RWD standard cab.

Other than replacing the factory wipers with winter wipers, is there anything I need to do to it?

Most of my use is on roads, so I'm looking at a max of 2-3" of snow/slush/ice to drive on, but it wouldn't surprise me to get a few days where it's under 0* F when I need to drive to work.

2. Oct 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Tires make a huge difference. I'd look at getting a good set of winter rated tires. I think this is the most important thing to have.
    Also if you live in salted areas, a good rust proofing would be great. I'm sure some garage nearby may offer this service.

3. Oct 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Sounds like you're in a pretty warm winter climate. If they use salt on the roads where yo ulive, definitely get your truck rustproofed. IMO, Krown undercoatings are the best. The stuff actually crawls around and creeps into metal seams, etc... Worth every penny.

4. Oct 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Use the correct air type for winter.;)air.jpg

5. Oct 23, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I just had mine done again this past week.

I get under it before i have it re-done every year and wash it down before bringing it in for a re-apply. No question in my mind that it helps big time.

They also sell cans of the stuff for about 9 bucks for touch ups in the high traffic areas.

6. Oct 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yeah, some rust proofing sounds like a good idea!

Also would recommend putting a few sand bags in the back for added traction if needed. May be a good idea to install an oil pan heater if you don't have one already, and break out the snow chains.

7. Oct 23, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    OPs talking about the occasional 2-3" of snow/slush and every once in a while temps under 0 and you're talking about block heaters and tire chains?!?! Overkill and a waste of money. I live in New England and go through months of worse weather and I don't have either of those.

Sand bags are all you'll need for winter driving. Put them in the front of the bed. Make sure your tires are in good shape.

8. Oct 23, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    FlyingTaco

FlyingTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DCSB SWB
    Trimmed mud-flaps, engine de-tick, FJ wheels, avid off road light bar(one of a kind), truck covers bed cover and decals by sockmonkey so far.....
    Definitely good winter tires. Also I would think about putting some weight into the bed of your truck. That short wheelbase can get mighty squirrelly if/when you spin the back tires on snow. Make sure your battery and coolant are rated for the cold too. A simple coolant guage from any parts store will do the test just fine. Basically read the directions and you can't go wrong with it. Batteries are rated by cold cranking amps. The more amps, the better it will do in the cold. I recommend getting de-ice washer fluid too. It's usually orange and works great. Obviously a window scraper will be in order. Being I plan for the worst, I keep an emergency kit in my truck with misc. stuff. Depends on what I'm doing really but good gloves, socks, hat and a blanket for sure. For the weight in the bed a couple bags of cat litter or water softening salt(the grainy stuff nit the big chunks) is good as it serves 2 purposes. 1.-a little weight in the bed for traction, and 2.-salt melts ice and in the event you park on a downhill against say a curb and then can't back out because of the snow/ice, it gives traction and melts the ice down to the road. Just pour a bunch under the tires in the event. I always have a tow strap or chain with me too in case I get really stuck. Good luck this winter.

9. Oct 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Well, maybe in your area that's just fine. But here in CA, if you go to areas where it snows and the CHP is checking everyone in 2X4's for tire chains, you'll be glad you have them. Not to mention if a freak winter storm comes along it could be good to have.
    I don't consider any of it overkill or a waste of money, I would call it being prepared.

Products Discussed in

To Top