1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wire Cluster Help

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by thatkidsani, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    thatkidsani

thatkidsani [OP] Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Nerf Bars, Westin Safari Bar W/ KC Highlites Offroad lights, Alpine Stereo sys
    ok so i have no idea what im really looking for exactly so im hoping that you can help me out. i replaced my stereo in my '02 prerunner with a friends help and some wiring went bad and so i brought it to an audio shop and they said that my cluster was fried. I was wondering if anyone on here may be able to tell me what to look for at an online shop, store, or junkyard in town. thanks in advance

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Cant really think of any clusters that would be related to the radio. To me, a cluster is a assembly of items, like an instrument cluster, climate control, etc. I'd even go as far as to call the combination switch a cluster, but I cant think of anything related to the radio a cluster.

Maybe they're talking about the connector? Cant really see something in there frying though, as thats just wires coming in and going out. Guess "Fry" could be their generic term for broken. Maybe some actually wiring is fried, which would be a pretty bad thing. If its the head unit they're talking about, I guess that could be considered a cluster, but I've never heard it called that before.

I think you're going to have to open her up and take a look to see if you can figure out what they were talking about. As far as I understand it, there really isn't any sort of cluster to go bad, but just a bunch of wires going to speakers, fuse box, etc.

3. Mar 26, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Yeah - I can't tell if the OP is talking about a fried wiring harness or a fried instrument cluster ...

4. Mar 27, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    thatkidsani

thatkidsani [OP] Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    sorry bout not being to clear guys. But a guy i know said it was something like a harness or something. the wires that had burnt up controlled the illumination of the dashboard

5. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    There's either one or two harnesses involved in most of the dash illumination. Your best bet would be to remove the fried harness(-es?), go to a recycler / junkyard, and get the equivalent harness(-es?) off a same-era (2001 - 2004) junker.

6. Mar 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    thatkidsani

thatkidsani [OP] Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    ok would a new dash kit include the harness(es) needed or would i still need to get them. i was thinking about getting one soon anyway

Products Discussed in

To Top