1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wiring details for leds in grill 2016 taco

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by fishcommander, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Feb 14, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    fishcommander

fishcommander [OP] fishcommander

Member:
    S.E. PA.
    Vehicle:
    2016 taco limited white
    none as of yet
    is it ok to tap into my parkers which are Very thin wires when wiring leds that have thicker wires. I've asked this before & got some good details but was not sure if I stressed that the parker light wires were very thin. hate to screw something up when still under warrenty. thanx

2. Feb 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
    Why not just run a dedicated circuit with its own switch, then should something electrically go wrong the dealer can't blame your led and deny warranty.

3. Feb 14, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    GPsevinSixx

GPsevinSixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    6112/5160AALfnCNTSTRyokG015
    @fishcommander

Wire it up using this diagram
    IMG_8568.jpg
    Use the +12v from ACC as your signal source switch (assuming Toyota uses + signal for parking lights) with the suggested fuse. Please verify yourself which signals the lights to actuate with a DMM first! Wire the rest of the relay up using a water proof relay setup (can be found under the Hella brand on Amazon with the proper harness) and hook up to whichever LED kit that allows the correct 12V input with the step down circuitry (don't wire up bare LED emitters to 12v).

I don't suggest using wire taps for the parking light signal, as it will penetrate/ expose the jacket and cause corrosion in the long term to the bare copper wire since it will likely be underhood.

Instead, carefully strip away the jacket and solder the signal wire to stripped portion, then seal up with vinyl similar to plasti-dip and tape it up to keep it from abrading and shorting out in case you leave any soldering spikes.

If the connector end isn't too far away for your source signal wire, you can unpin the connector and run a bit of shrink tubing with the adhesive for the best seal. The easier route is using butt connectors with the heat shrink sleeve on them, but you will have to cut the wire with this one.

Depends how savvy you are with soldering and removing connector pins, but it sounds harder than what I actually typed. Doing it this way will require quite a bit of wiring though, but you won't put much load onto the factory parking light circuitry since it's being used to signal the relay to power up. A small relay will be sufficient, but standard 20/40 amp 12V relays are cheapest and commonly used for stuff like this.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. LOL.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:42 AM
    fishcommander

fishcommander [OP] fishcommander

Member:
    S.E. PA.
    Vehicle:
    2016 taco limited white
    none as of yet
    thanx so much for your detailed explanation. think I will sub this one out. bein an ex-carpenter with minimal elec skills & still bein under warrenty. also thinking of a thread I also read- "why do you want to turn your taco into looking like a Ford Raptor"? makes me think I really don't want the "raptor" type lights. sorry for inconveniencing all of you guys. this Site is Still THE BEST!

Products Discussed in

To Top