1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring Fog Lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by halfway72, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    halfway72

halfway72 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT LB
    Cosmetic stuff.... best part HomerTaco Raptor Grille. Need to get a lift, armor and lockers.
    Need some help... I just got some fogs and I have little to no idea how I'm going to wire them. From what I've seen on here and on line I'm guessing I need a relay and some need to wire it to a fuse?

I need some suggestions on what to get and how to make it work w/o screwing up the truck.

.... Help :confused:

2. Dec 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    What fogs did you get? Did they come with instructions?

3. Dec 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What parts do you have exactly?

Assuming you only have the housing, you'll need the bulb, the bulb base, wiring, an automotive relay, an in-line fuse, a switch and some random electrical parts like an add-a-circuit and connectors. How you want them to operate will dictate how you wire them. I'd suggest wiring them so they shut off when the ignition is shut off so you can't drain the batter.

4. Dec 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    If you're in the dark (pun intended) to that extent, get yourself either a friend that has done something like that before, or take it to an independent shop somewhere and let them wire them up for you.

It's not hard, but it takes some thought and a basic knowledge of what you're doing. You need a switch, heavy enough wiring to handle the load and any standard 12V relay should do the job. You can get fancy and make them only work with low (or hi) beams, but be mindful of your local laws if you care.

My advice is, don't do a hack job, especially if you're not positive about what you're doing. You'll be a lot happier paying just a few bucks to have a reliable shop do the job right. It shouldn't take them long and you know it will be done right.

Roger

5. Dec 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    halfway72

halfway72 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT LB
    Cosmetic stuff.... best part HomerTaco Raptor Grille. Need to get a lift, armor and lockers.
    All I have are the lights. Housing, bulbs and the wiring from inside the light out. I'll check on prices for getting it installed but id rather try it myself. We shall see. Thank you for the input!

6. Dec 10, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    its easy-there are a few illustrations here that will guide you through the install, maybe someone will chime in and attach something for you to use, or just search, lots of info on this subject...

7. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    I would wire them seperate from headlights. Yes you need a relay and inline fuse. Mine came wth a harness so it was simple. Im sure you can order that from Hella or KC and use it on yours.

8. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
  9. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows

Products Discussed in

To Top