1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring question for new grille

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by MrExcitment, May 5, 2020.

1. Jun 10, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    blitzkrieg3002

blitzkrieg3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5.29’s
    BP51 Complete Kit, Medium Duty Dakar Pack, Firestone ride rite airbags w/Daystar Cradles, 2015 Four Wheel Camper Swift Shell Custom build, 5.29 Gears, Valley Runner Tune, Harrop E Lockers Front & Rear, SCS F5 Wheels 16x8 3.5bs, Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16, Cali Raised 0 Deg Sliders, BHLM, DD SS3 Yellow Pro Fogs, Debadged/Stickers Removed, Paint to match Bumper caps, Start-X Remote Start, N2 Designs Smart Phone module, Pop N Lock Tailgate lock, Taco Garage TRD PRO grille, Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Rockblokz XL Mud Flaps.
    I have an SR5 and added Grille lights a while back. It's very confusing sifting through the wiring info on youtube and on TW as mostly its all related to the TRD models that have a white LED DRL. Our DRL's are the orange turn signal lights.

I wanted my Grille lights to come on with the DRL switch position as well as with the headlights on position. I got close I'll explain how i did it and maybe anyone out there that's figured it out can point me in the right direction. How i did this was i tapped the High and low wires going to the indicator bulb I think their pink and brown. I tapped from both left and right Turn signals (high). I put a diode on both left and right High indicators so when the DRL is on and the turn signal is on it draws steady power from the indicator that is not flashing. My lights come on and do not flash on DRL and on Headlights on. When all lights are off however my grille lights flash with my turn indicators.

What i think will be the ultimate fix is to find the wire and wiring diagram that comes directly from the DRL switch on the knob inside and tap that wire directly from the switch to a relay for the Grille lights.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Tullie D likes this.
  2. Jun 11, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    blitzkrieg3002

blitzkrieg3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5.29’s
    BP51 Complete Kit, Medium Duty Dakar Pack, Firestone ride rite airbags w/Daystar Cradles, 2015 Four Wheel Camper Swift Shell Custom build, 5.29 Gears, Valley Runner Tune, Harrop E Lockers Front & Rear, SCS F5 Wheels 16x8 3.5bs, Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16, Cali Raised 0 Deg Sliders, BHLM, DD SS3 Yellow Pro Fogs, Debadged/Stickers Removed, Paint to match Bumper caps, Start-X Remote Start, N2 Designs Smart Phone module, Pop N Lock Tailgate lock, Taco Garage TRD PRO grille, Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Rockblokz XL Mud Flaps.
    Trying to understand what you mean by "adding a fuse into the injectors"

has anyone been able to get the lights to come on in DRL position and Headlights on position and have the turn signals work properly when all lights in off position? SR5/SR specifically.

darith69 likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    Tullie D

Tullie D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 V6 SSM Access Cab
    Here's how I did mine:

Raptor style lights - Gen 3 SR5 OE grill

geicocavemen.jpg

Mine are on anytime the ignition switch is on.

4. Apr 14, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    blm4097

blm4097 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brodie
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma SR5
    Running Boards, Bully Guard, Mud Flaps, LED Headlights/Tail Lights and interior dome/map, Rear Bumper Caps, Raptor LED w/ turn signal grille.
    I'm having the same issue. I didn't realize that the SR5 trim had different wiring. I'm having trouble connecting the blinkers to the LEDs on the grille. I've got the amber lights connected fine with a piggy back fuse connected to the headlights so they're always on when my headlights are on. A picture would be nice if anyone has hooked this up before. Passenger side has three wires going to the DRL/Blinker. Two blue ones and a black/white...confused

5. Jul 12, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    darith69

darith69 Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Tacoma SR5
    Just bought a RedRock 4x4 Baja Upper Replacement Grille with LED Lighting and DRL watched the video but my turn signal pigtail has 3 wires and when I wired it up like the video the only thing that works are the Raptor lights. I have a 2017 SR5 can anybody tell me why the other lights aren't working?

Products Discussed in

To Top