1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring question (rear fogs/backup). Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy25056, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    jeremy25056

jeremy25056 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OFF-RD AccessCab 6Spd
    Ok, getting rear fogs.

Would like to have them be able to come on when i back up, but then also be able to override/turn them on manually without going into reverse.

Reverse function should be easy, wire into factory back up lights.

Im no wiring genius so diagrams would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeremy

2. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:36 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mid-Travel 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    Kings Mid Travel, BAMF bed rack, RTT, dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    You'll need a relay to have it function both ways

3. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Longtime Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Silver State Edition
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s Click the sig pic to see the build thread .
    You would probably need two relays 1 for back up & 1 for manual.
    Some good pics and what to do in My Auto OEM Fog Light Mod.
    Relay pin 86 is where you want to attach the switch. One leg of switch to 86 and the other to a power source. And on the other relay you would attach pin 86 to the back up lights.

4. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Easiest way to do it if you are not familiar with electrical is to go buy a light kit that includes the wiring harness and relay all in one box. Not all kits come with a relay, so make sure you get one that does.

To make your reverse lights function the way you describe, you need to make one modification to the wiring kit that came with the lights. You need to buy a "single pole, double throw toggle switch". They come with or without a center off position. I recommend you get one with a center off. There is a good chance that the guys at the auto parts store won't know what you are talking about. I usually have to tell them to go get the box of toggle switches and let me look at them.:rolleyes: You want one with three positions on the switch and three terminals on the bottom. You will not find a lighted switch that can be easily used in this application.

Get rid of the lighted switch from the kit. It probably had a ground wire attached to it. You do not need the ground wire. One of the remaining wires leads to the relay. Connect this wire to the center terminal of your new toggle switch. Connect the other wire to one of the two outside terminals of the toggle switch. You now have one more terminal on the toggle switch to connect.

Run a wire from the terminal to the factory reverse light circuit. That wire runs inside the driver's kick panel. It is a red wire with a white stripe on my 2006. I believe it's a 14 gauge wire (medium thickness). You need a blue tap connector to make that connection. The light kit may have one. It would be a good idea to put a 3 or 5 amp fuse in at this connection also in case your wiring ever shorts out. The factory wire you are tapping is fused, but the fuse may not blow fast enough to protect your new wire from burning up if you used smaller wire to run to your switch. Adding a fuse here also will keep all your factory lights working in the event your add on wiring shorts out.

5. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This would work too, and would allow you to use a lighted switch for manual operation. You can also use one relay and a diode to isolate the factory reverse circuit.

There are diagrams around here somewhere. I searched but did not find them.

I use the three position switch on my trucks. I kind of do wish it was lighted, but I will eventually get around to wiring a seperate pilot light next to the switch. It's not a big issue because I normally don't touch the switch, just leave it in auto position.

6. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    If you have the tow package it is the center wire of the receiptal, #7 I think. I tapped into that, made a pigtail with a water-tite plug and for the ground wire I used one of the small bumper bracket bolts.

[​IMG]

To Top