1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wisconsin Tacomas and bad financial advice

Discussion in 'Mid West' started by Thatbassguy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Jan 8, 2024 at 9:44 AM
    Taco-Grinder

Taco-Grinder It's all part of the adventure.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    You explained it 110% better than I could.

2. Jan 8, 2024 at 12:45 PM
    rubbersidedown

rubbersidedown Well known voider of warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD OR Long Boi Voodoo Blue
    Questions for the hive mind... As is good practice, I'd like to look into carying a spare CV axle or two. I've heard mention of higher articulation CV axles, and I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to go with a set of those and have my stock axles as backups. I've deleted my sway bar up front, so higher articulation axles seems like a good plan. Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable aftermarket brand?

Also, I'm thinking I'd like to check out some tie rod sleeves. War Fab seems to always be sold out. Any suggestions there?

I got my recall replacement UCAs a while back from Ironman4x4 and I figure I'd like to upgrade this other stuff when I get around to replacing those so I'd only need to get an alignment once. I also need to rotate my tires (5 tire rotation) so I'll be stopping by my buddy at Tires Plus to reprogram the TPMS sensors. Figured I'd do that when I get the alignment done.

3. Jan 8, 2024 at 1:07 PM
    CygnusX191

CygnusX191 Gangster of Boats

Member:
    First Name:
    Timm
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport Access Cab M/T, 2017 TRD OR DCSB
    So. Many. Stickers.
    The O'Reilly Gold extended travel or long angle or whatever they're called. Have held up really well in our group here. I also have an AutoZone called that I put on before I ever started wheeling and it's held up along with the stock axle on the other side.

As far as the war fab sleeves go, they are robust but I highly recommend you fluid film that stuff after you put it on and then make sure you get an alignment at minimum yearly to keep everything from freezing up. Only because those sleeves cover up the 15 mm shaft. So you have to use Dutch pliers to move your inner tie rod and that can be difficult if everything starts corroding. But the warfrab sleeves are just about bomb proof.

4. Jan 8, 2024 at 1:08 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Minivan
    I'm not an expert but I'll try to regurgitate things I've seen before...

RCV axles are beefy but I'm not sure how much extra "articulation" they give. $$$$$. Good news is they probably won't break, bad news is the weak link then becomes your diff which are harder to carry spares of on the trail. Did I mention $$$$$ ?
    https://www.rcvperformance.com/ulti...14-4-runner-03-present-tacoma-05-present.html

JD Fabrication has a kit to convert inners to a 934 CV which gives 28 degrees vs 21 degrees so maybe that's what you were looking at? These are also $$$$$$$.
    https://jdfabrication.com/products/tacoma-05-18-4-long-travel-kit

Frankly unless you are having issues I'd stick with stock CVs until you go long travel. Since you have 33's there probably isn't much benefit to those other expensive things anyways without bigger tires and more travel.

What he said about those things.

5. Jan 8, 2024 at 1:17 PM
    CygnusX191

Member:
    First Name:
    Timm
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    So. Many. Stickers.

To put your post in perspective, our CV are the top of axles out there, but since you're not building a custom race rig, you will have zero customer support from them. Also, this does move the weak link elsewhere in the drive train which becomes dangerous.

JD, Fab stuff for that kit conversion is overkill but it's also really effing cool. If I had time and money I would absolutely do it.

That being said, I'm also still running stock CV, boot length on 33s with a two plus inch lift and have yet to tear one other than my original tear when I first put a lift on.

6. Jan 8, 2024 at 1:22 PM
    Aztec120

Aztec120 The Road To Hell Is Paved With Stock Tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Cisco
    Milwaukee
    Vehicle:
    La Tortuga '17 SR5 DCSB
    Leer Topper 90% Chrome Delete
  7. Jan 8, 2024 at 1:48 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Minivan
    I forgot about those, good call.

Axle food chain would then be stock-replacement from Oreilly/NAPA < OEM Toyota < CVJ beefed up OEM < and then pick your poison between RCV and JDFab 934

Also @rubbersidedown I forgot to mention when you said "I'd like to look into carying a spare CV axle or two", not sure you are aware but both front CV axles are the same. Usually I think people only carry 1 spare because blowing out 2 of them is probably overkill unless you are on a super long expedition or something. Just bringing up so you can save money and space. Ask the Moab guys what they brought and what was useful, you may be overthinking things (or I could be wrong as well which is very possible, who knows!).

8. Jan 8, 2024 at 2:12 PM
    rubbersidedown

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Excellent info, thanks fellas! @wi_taco I agree with your food chain after taking a brief look at the options presented. And yeah, I was aware that the left and right are the same, but I guess I was thinking if I go with something with longer travel I'd replace both and have 2 spare stock axles. I likely wouldn't carry more than one spare.

I also was thinking these would be like less than $300 each. I may reevaluate my plan and just run stock with one spare OEM for now and when I run out of things to spend money on, go with an upgrade of some kind. I'll keep reading tonight.

Any further tie rod sleeves to consider other than sold out War Fab?

9. Jan 8, 2024 at 2:16 PM
    Supr4Lo

Supr4Lo Well-Known Ken

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB Offroad MT, Supercharged, NWF Eco-Crawler, 4.88's Locked F&R on 35's
    I agree with what others have said. If you are using a shock that bolts in factory location (even if "extended travel" the suspension is still operating in the stock range. So a high angle CV nets you no gain. The only thing that may be advantages is a high angle inner CV boot depending on your lift ride height.

As for tie rod sleeves, I'm a fan. Pretty sure they saved my bacon on the last outing(according to the spoter). But as @CygnusX191 said you'll have to make sure they don't get rusted tight to the tie rod.

For spares I carry 1 CV axle and 2 inner and outer tierods.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  10. Jan 8, 2024 at 3:05 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Has anybody had any issues with the boots on those cv axles? Thought I remember seeing a video about somebody with either tearing or slipping boots, but dont recall the brand.

11. Jan 8, 2024 at 3:08 PM
    OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk A legend in my own mind!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    East Central Wisco
    Vehicle:
    '17 OffRoad Silver Sky Metallic
    Small lift, slightly oversized tires, well...
    Yeah, but he's an animal!

12. Jan 8, 2024 at 3:10 PM
    bkhlrTaco's

bkhlrTaco's “expletive deleted”

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR AC MGM
    This diff drop video touches on cv angles and what @Supr4Lo said about high angle cv's.
    I can't find his other video where he covers cv angles more specifically.
    Basically as long as you aren't binding, the cv's s/b able to handle it.
    Protect the boot.
    https://youtu.be/47aat1tc6zw?si=yIUhXaA4CabaXHk_

13. Jan 8, 2024 at 3:55 PM
    Taco-Grinder

Taco-Grinder It's all part of the adventure.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport

@rubbersidedown

I also carried 1 extra cv and 2 inner and outer tie rods to Moab.
    Thankfully nobody had any issues.
    Remember for any spare parts you carry you need tools to do the job.

14. Jan 8, 2024 at 4:00 PM
    pearing

pearing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 quadcab
    I carry all that and tools too. I imagine I won't be able to bust the nut loose on the trail so be camped there anyway...

15. Jan 8, 2024 at 4:16 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9

I have one on my truck, CVJ only takes OEM axles in and rebuilds them back to factory spec including boots, they do have the "hi angle" boots you can get for more $ but I don't think they are needed.

16. Jan 8, 2024 at 4:41 PM
    CygnusX191

Member:
    First Name:
    Timm
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    So. Many. Stickers.
    PXL_20240109_003909625.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

:anonymous:

This guy is my secret weapon at work. When somebody can't figure out a vibration on an FJ Cruiser or they're screwing around with a forerunner and the customer wants someone who knows what they're doing, it ends up in my bay and with a little bit of magic and some of this guy is YouTube... I'm known as the off-road guy in the shop for a reason.

If that's all they do, you can get a rebuild kit and do it at home with like $20 CV player set from O'Reilly. Or you could get a $600 snap-on set but then next to your $20 set and not be able to tell the difference. Lol. There's nothing to put on boot kits, especially if the axle is not on the truck.

17. Jan 8, 2024 at 7:15 PM
    OldSchlPunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    East Central Wisco
    Vehicle:
    When I raced, we welded a piece of tubing over the stock tie rods. If a person were fancy, they'd weld a large nut on also, so you'd have something to turn with a wrench instead of Vice Grips. If a person had access to a mill, you could mill a couple of flat spots for a wrench.

18. Jan 8, 2024 at 7:30 PM
    OldSchlPunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    East Central Wisco
    Vehicle:
    Yup. The binding breaks the cage that holds the balls in place. As long as the intermediate axle moves back and forth at all points of a revolution, you're good.

I've never had a Toyota CV apart, but with VW (and Porsche 930's) you can over-extend them (angle and extension) and drop a ball out of the worm groove. The Toyota CVs are deeper and I would guess that it would be impossible to pull them apart, you'd bind before that.

19. Jan 8, 2024 at 7:48 PM
    OldSchlPunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    East Central Wisco
    Vehicle:
    Well, damn...not sure I 'needed' it, but I bought a power slider (motor and regulator) from a double cab tonight off eBay. Access Cabs couldn't get them for whatever reason. It looks like the motor bracket should bolt up in the same place. Not sure if the glass is the same...will have plenty of time soon to tinker and figure it out.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Jan 8, 2024 at 8:00 PM
    rubbersidedown

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    WI
    Vehicle:
    @CygnusX191 Are those yours? War Fab or another brand? Available for purchase? DM me if you wanna keep it on the down-low. :spy:

Love it here when we pop up a question and a good informative and educational discussion develops!

Products Discussed in

To Top