1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wisconsin Tacomas and bad financial advice

Discussion in 'Mid West' started by Thatbassguy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Apr 1, 2024 at 4:26 AM
    pearing

pearing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 quadcab
    Twark day 6:
    After a wonderful night sleeping under the stars we broke camp and got ready for a day of adventuring. We climbed up out of our camping site (with some mis steps-Gaia is not easy to follow sometimes!) a bit of road, a bit of dirt and then a turn onto trail. This track was a wonderfully open dirt road through a pine forest. Unfortunately two things happened that kept us from our chosen route: One, the road right after it got interesting was closed. The second was the smell of smoke began to exponentially increase... There was a fire close at hand. As it turns out the FS was doing a bit of controlled burning, and most likely we would not have been able to continue on our route but the road closure kinda sealed the deal. We wandered a bit of pavement and then a bit of gravel for several more hours... A view to the burn where we were in the morning:

D6.jpg

We actually were pretty thankful for the easier day-I know I was starting to get tired! trail like this is stressful. Its not like Moab or a park where it is stressful for a few minutes and then okay nothing to see here. These past few days were hours and hours of turning a corner to find what? Awww fruck another set of mud pits or Ohh My a seriously muddy rocky climb etc. etc. Not to mention that the consequences are larger. We are truly in the middle of no where. There is no magic way out and no easy trail to bail onto. This was the real deal so a day of dirt was almost relaxing (well, except for my gas stress-the flaty doesn't sip gas on 35's it drinks!) Eventually we got over into the middle of the Ozarks and headed along a road that I was told had some potential. It was nice and calm... so I guess everyone has different comfort levels. At some point we started up the 1808 road. This is a scenic beauty that is rougher than a groomed FS road but not hard. I had done it bottom to top last time I was here; however, we took a turn and what a turn it was!
    A few miles up we turned right and crossed a rather deep ford. By this point we are expert forders: however, the crew still takes notice when the bow wave is onto the hood of the flaty... You want a bit of wave to help keep water out but not to much-speed and depth are important!

D6 deep f.jpg

D6 deep f 2.jpg

From here we got the days adventure! We had to route find through a very muddy fresh logging area up onto a bench road that was truly a goat track. This thing was 70 inches wide at best, muddy and rocky. Steep-by far the steepest road I think we had encountered-and it had consequences as it essentially went up a cliff. Serious fun! Road wandered though some mud and open glades. Rough and tough it was. Eventually we went down and did an easy crossing and came out to pavement! Jonathon had been fighting a new noise for a day or so. Until you micro-manage every noise, rumble and clunk out where it really matters you haven't lived. He did find it and a quick repair ensued-with Administrative management watching!

D6 r.jpg

D6 M.jpg

A quick detour from route (it was getting on in the day and we wanted to get to camp!) and we came upon Falling Waters and the best camp site EVER! Walking distance to the falls. No humans around. Fantastic!

D6 c.jpg

D6 c1.jpg

D6 c2.jpg

2. Apr 1, 2024 at 4:46 AM
    Pixeltim

Pixeltim Misunderstood member

Member:
    77 square miles surrounded by reality.
    Vehicle:
    '15 Black DCLB SR5
    Tires, Softopper, fully armored, winch, many pinstripes.
    Do anyone lose an alternator to the high water?

3. Apr 1, 2024 at 4:57 AM
    pearing

pearing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 quadcab
    We need to talk...

wi_taco, CygnusX191, Aztec120 and 2 others like this.
  4. Apr 1, 2024 at 5:06 AM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 Nauti Blue 4Runner SR5
    Tires-Lift-Full Armor-F/R Bprs Winch-ALF
    Not yet.

Very nice write-ups, Pat. This trip kinda took the luster-of-Moab from me. It was very technical in places, with enough obstacles and the difficulty level to make it really fun. I loved the trail on Tuesday. Many many miles of moderate to difficult actual rock crawling. I had never done water X-ings and those were always a blast. Every...single...one. It was quite a bit different wheelin' in the shade and trees from the wide open blazing sun in Moab. Looking forward to all the rest of the pics that are coming.

I/we can not thank you enough for the time and effort you did to put this trip together. I was truly amazed how you were able to get back on track when we had to detour 'cause of too high of water or too muddy/wet hills.

Where we goin' next year?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  5. Apr 1, 2024 at 5:17 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy [OP] Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    Good thinking!

I'm actually thinking about tapping into the feed for the 12V outlet back there. On the 4Runner, the 120V and 12V outlets are on the passenger wheel well.

As far as multiple sources; I believe I need a DC-DC charger with multiple inputs, which is currently in my cart on Amazon. But I still need to confirm whether or not the charging controller that comes with the solar stuff already has provisions for multiple inputs. If so, I can use the charger I ordered yesterday before I realized I needed multiple inputs. If not, I will be possibly selling a 12 V DC to DC charger in the near future, LOL.

6. Apr 1, 2024 at 5:44 AM
    BEAR_KNIFE_FIGHT

BEAR_KNIFE_FIGHT bearly famous

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4X4 DCSB Slowsand, 2017 WRX WRB
    redarc bcdc 1225d is probably your solution. Charges from your alternator when it’s powered on, switches to solar otherwise. Charges and isolates the batteries, and you can run different chemistry batteries if you’d like.

7. Apr 1, 2024 at 7:49 AM
    Aztec120

Aztec120 The Road To Hell Is Paved With Stock Tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Cisco
    Milwaukee
    Vehicle:
    La Tortuga '17 SR5 DCSB
    Leer Topper 90% Chrome Delete

Great write up indeed Pat. I'm at work but I couldn't help keep reading. Felt like I was glued to the tv :rofl:

Glad everyone got home safe and with minor-ish issues. Looking forward to all the stories this weekend. This only made me more excited for Wyalusing :burnrubber:

8. Apr 1, 2024 at 7:50 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    Thanks!

It looks like the Renogy unit I am looking at will do this as well.

9. Apr 1, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    One thing I still need to figure out is how these charges work when the solar input is lower than their rated output. Do they just charge at a lower rate? Or, do I need a charger that is rated for a lower output?

I have a 100 watt solar panel, which comes to 8.333... amps, and that's probably only in perfect conditions. I suppose the answers are probably all on Renogy's website, as I seem to be going with their products.

I'm not even sure how I'm going to mount the panel. I might even just hang on to everything until I get the camper project started. :notsure:

10. Apr 1, 2024 at 8:33 AM
    bkhlrTaco's

bkhlrTaco's “expletive deleted”

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR AC MGM
    Well get your shit together, then get back to us. :blahblah:

11. Apr 1, 2024 at 8:46 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    I'm collecting ideas! Take it easy. :wink:

12. Apr 1, 2024 at 8:51 AM
    bkhlrTaco's

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR AC MGM
    Ya. I didn't know if the 4R had power supply in the back like the 3G.
    If it didn't I was thinking look at how one 'IS' and go from there.
    If the power is already there, like the 3G, then it should be possible to run off that and have an 'interrupt' to switch to solar when engine is off.
    The dc ac dc l-m-n-o-p converter stuff is foreign language to me.

13. Apr 1, 2024 at 10:58 AM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Minivan
    Depending on which solar controller you go with, yes they should charge at whatever variable rate the sun is giving at that time, at least to a certain point. Rich has either a 100W or 200W panel and he has to cover part of it up so he doesn't get over-voltage problems of too high output so it probably isn't as big of a problem as you are thinking. Don't worry too much, your planned setup with (1) 100Ah battery + 100W solar is the most common setup out there.

Best advice I can give up front is plan things out before you go shopping - you'll save in the end (ask me how I know). We can definitely discuss around the campfire this weekend.

14. Apr 1, 2024 at 11:44 AM
    Aztec120

Aztec120 The Road To Hell Is Paved With Stock Tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Cisco
    Milwaukee
    Vehicle:
    La Tortuga '17 SR5 DCSB
    Leer Topper 90% Chrome Delete

Make sure I'm nearby taking notes. I was looking into a hood mounted solar panel too since mine is just Taliban Tan as far as the eye can see. I don't have the cool guy hood scoop :(

This is of course way down the road but I believe more time planning ahead makes a smoother execution.

15. Apr 1, 2024 at 12:41 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    Finally. Which tires are going on it first?!

16. Apr 1, 2024 at 12:43 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    I'm more curious about the dual input charger that will connected to the alternator and the output from the solar controller. The one I'm looking at is a 30 amp max. But, the solar output is going to be around 8 amps at best. What happens when the input is lower than the rated output? Do I need to look for a smaller charger?

17. Apr 1, 2024 at 12:47 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Minivan
    Oh I see, no you don't need a smaller charger. If solar is giving 8A input then it will take the other 22A from the alternator, and as solar fluctuates it will adjust and compensate. All you need to know is that the dual input DC-DC is going to give you max 30A charging to the house battery, and if your house battery can take that amount of current you are golden.

18. Apr 1, 2024 at 12:58 PM
    bkhlrTaco's

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR AC MGM
    Plug a 4amp trickle charger into your 120V output and call it a day.
    They even have one at the chinese tool store. Edit: :anonymous:

19. Apr 1, 2024 at 1:07 PM
    ssd2k2

ssd2k2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport M/T
    Where is the fun in doing it like that. Tacoma's require spending over $500, running new custom wire looms, and modifying parts.

20. Apr 1, 2024 at 1:12 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    But, what about when the alternator isn't running?

Products Discussed in

To Top