1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

women in combat/battle

Discussion in 'Military' started by jmg256, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Jan 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    White Double Cab Off Road
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    I agree that standards must be upheld, but the thought that women are the only reason standards are lowered is a fallacy. I remember when the Army's PT test was lowered because the guys weren't passing the test in high enough numbers.

The PT test is the minimum anyways. The teams and units I worked with would not have settled for the minimum and neither should you or yours.

2. Jan 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    / THREAD.

3. Jan 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    frycook

frycook Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway blue TRD OR
    All Pro LT w/ fox 2.5x8" RR coilovers, Rear will have B.A.M.F Shock relocation kit w/ Kind 12" smoothies RR, ATO hybrid bumper, All Pro sliders
    Exactly...

this guy sums up all my reasons for why i am against this... He is more eloquent than me and I would just turn this into a rant...
    http://youtu.be/fy--whDNNKk

4. Jan 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    Stonewall Jackson, '96 Xtracab, rebuilt motor
    Full rebuild short of machine work, mean green motherfucker! Lime green block, hand-polished valve cover, and stickers! Too broke for real mods right now. Stonewall is my baby, but he's also a work truck.
    I'm all for it- they just gotta be able to keep up. As long as they can meet the same standards that the men have to meet, then I have no problem with it.

5. Jan 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    You must not work in the same Coast Guard that I did....

:p

Whenever I administered the PFT, everyone that wasn't in shape was like, So uh, what do I have to do to pass?

6. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I guess I misunderstood your statement in light of the conversation we are having...My bad!! I don't think anyone WANTS family members to have to to war...but that isn't really the discussion here.

People are going to war...and telling a female that she can't possibly qualify just because she is female doesn't make sense. I know plenty of women who could beat my ass and/or keep up with special operators PT tests and/or keep cool under combat pressure, and I know guys that can't. It should not be a gender divide...It should be a skills divide.

So-Have you served?? I don't see a civil service emblem on your profile...so I'm curious.

And lets be honest...There are plenty of very public failures in judgement from the "front lines" in recent history and centuries of war atrocities by all sorts of front line warriors. They should certainly have some say in it, but closing out everyone elses input doesn't make sense.

7. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    Ha, weren't you Alaska PD? I've seen some tier 3 units like that. It made me sad :pout:

I was lucky enough never to have been stationed somewhere that I had to deal with the non-motivated types. If I have to one day, I'm lucky enough to be in a position to change it.

8. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I would send out the email, PFT coming up!!!

Then I'd see maybe one or two 1st classes in the gym once about a week before hand "getting ready".

Really guys?

9. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
  10. Jan 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    Beadwindow

Beadwindow Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    Maybe this is a non-issue for me, for my entire career we've allowed women in Combat Arms. In fact, they've been permitted for 22 years.

I'm of the opinion that as long as you can pass the standards, I don't care what you have between your legs, you can do the job.

My last deployment was mostly spent doing dismounted ops in the Arghandab river valley. We had a couple of women in the Sqn I worked with, and they were both a Combat Arms trade. The humped the same patrols as us, carried the same combat loads, slept in the same holes and fought in the same fights.

Yeah, some women can't do the jobs. I also know men who can't. I'll never take anything away from someone who wants to do the job, and has the mental and physical ability to do it.

11. Jan 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    0LyRunner

0LyRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DuPont, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner DCSB
    ProComp ES9000 and ES6000 3' Lift with Rear AAL, 16" Tuff A/T's, with 295/75/R16 BFG A/T KO's, Satoshi TRD Signature Grill, Spyder Halo-Projector Headlights, EZ Down Tailgate, EZ Lift Hood, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey All Black Bed Side Decals & 3RD Brake Light TRD Sticker, Engine Cover Custom Painted, Red Calipers, Undercover Classic, [Plasti-Dipped: Lower Valence, Fog Light Housing, Emblems, Rims], Side Steps, Center Console & Glove Box Divider, Seat belt ding (off).
    It would be awesome if the world was as easy as you put it Beadwindow. But unit cohesion will go to an all time low with girls sleeping with different dudes and jealousy issues.

It would be cool if this could happen but too many other problems would happen for me to approve this.

12. Jan 29, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    What you're missing is that the Canadian military and many others are already doing this and it has worked for them for some time now. All the reasons people are coming up with are just moral defense mechanisms thought up to justify their negative opinions of women. The bottom line is that it works for other countries and it can work for us too.

If you're really fighting for equality, justice, and freedom then think of this as another battle. If it's hard to adjust, remember that "America the free" is only a dream for these women. They are not free and they are not equal. If women want to fight, and possibly die, for our country, shouldn't we fight for them too?

13. Jan 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    TacPro45

TacPro45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    See that all the time!!!

14. Jan 30, 2013 at 4:14 AM
    0LyRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DuPont, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner DCSB
    ProComp ES9000 and ES6000 3' Lift with Rear AAL, 16" Tuff A/T's, with 295/75/R16 BFG A/T KO's, Satoshi TRD Signature Grill, Spyder Halo-Projector Headlights, EZ Down Tailgate, EZ Lift Hood, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey All Black Bed Side Decals & 3RD Brake Light TRD Sticker, Engine Cover Custom Painted, Red Calipers, Undercover Classic, [Plasti-Dipped: Lower Valence, Fog Light Housing, Emblems, Rims], Side Steps, Center Console & Glove Box Divider, Seat belt ding (off).

It's not justification, it's how the infantry works. Everyone I talk to in my company feels the same way. We make sexual jokes 24/7 and mess with each other as brothers would do. We can't be this close nit with woman around and us getting equal opportunity complaints (EO) by femals.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned then but I think I would like the woman of America to be protected and the men that are willing to put there life on the line should do so. If you can't be on the frontline as a man then it's not your problem to worry about.

My other argument is there is no pt test to drag me across a field but MOST woman would not be able to drag me at 180LBS plus 30LBS for my gear out of the kill zone. Maybe some men can't but my odds are better.... And I'm one of the smaller guys in my unit.

15. Jan 30, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    inthebag87

inthebag87 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner
    Like every coin there are two sides. I see the need as a man to inherently want to keep women away from danger and it must be frustrating to have people think that that feeling is coming from a bad place.
    I guess the real concern comes from the adjustments that will be made to accommodate the new situation. I can't argue with a guys who is concerned about who is watching his ass i would have the same concern regardless of gender. it will be interesting to see who this plays out in the long run. I know this situation exists in other country but america is a hell of an animal.

'Merica!

16. Jan 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    0LyRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DuPont, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner DCSB
    Yes, thank you. Even if you're not picking sides... At least you understood my point and maybe made it sound a little clearer.

It's true, I'm not meaning to put any of this in bad light. Just real concerns in my mind.

17. Jan 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    Beadwindow

Beadwindow Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    I definitely see where you're coming from. We call those kinds of chicks "groundsheets". But honestly, I've never seen big issues at the level that you'd think. Most girls I've worked or served with have been one of the guys, joking and smoking with the rest of us. And I'm about as PC as 1930's marketing. In my troop, the only thing off limits for jokes is wives and kids. And we do have fraternization rules when it comes to relationships in the same chain of command.

As far as jealousy and fighting over women, I've seen it happen about as much guys fighting over chicks at the local off-base bar, or sleeping with exes. And I haven't seen it very much.

Personally, I think it all depend on the professionalism of the girls who want to do the job. The ones I know who are good want to leave no room for question and try to exceed all standards. And really, most of the ones who truly want to be combat arms want to do the job. They aren't just doing it for the sake of saying that they can do it as a girl. Besides, it's funny as hell when one of the girls tells a guy who's complaining to get the sand out of his vagina.

As far as physical demands, our Battlefield fitness test has the same standard for everyone, and does include a casualty drag of a standard weight. Things are different everywhere.

I can definitely see it being a culture shock, and I do understand the concerns at the first line. I know it was a big thing at the Battalions when it first started happening here. And maybe it's a cultural difference between you guys and us. I can't say either way. But I've seen it work throughout my career.

As a man, yeah, it seemed to hit me harder when I lost a female comrade as opposed to a male one. Maybe that's the genetics of being a man. But either way, we carried on and did the job, and remembered the ones who gave their lives doing their duty, regardless of sex.

18. Jan 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    When I was in, I def knew some chics that could hack anything more than some dudes I knew. But those chics were the minority of the ones I knew. There is no doubt that there are chics capable of doing combat missions. There are dudes that cant. But my concern would be the jealously issues with a chic hooking up with a dude, and a girl walking into the locker room environment and getting offended. Then it becomes a shit storm. And its not like there isn't a sexual assualt problem in the military to begin with. I felt like that was half my training.

The other issue is I feel this is more political than anything. There is no need for women in combat. We are not in a war where we need bodies, we are not being invaded, these are not desperate times. So its most likely a chic wanted to check the box get a combat role and make a promotion and wrote her congeress person about it causing a stink. Now its a personal agenda for both parties. Other countries such as Israel, face a threat in daily life and its part of their duty to serve. Same with teh Swiss but there not fighting anyone. There was a Russian sniper in WW2 that was a chic that had more kills than anyone on the eastern front. But once again those were desperate times.

19. Jan 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    I dont think there will be too much of an issue. Only a certain kind of chick will even want to do it, let alone attempt it, and let alone pass. Same thing when chicks were finally allowed to enter the Citadel.

20. Jan 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    0LyRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DuPont, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner DCSB

Very well put my friend. +1 for you
    Thank you for the great discussion

To Top