1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Won't start even with a jump?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RacerP, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dec 18, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    RacerP

RacerP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Alright, so last week I had the starter out of the truck, replaced the contacts, put a charger on my battery and away I went for a full week without any problems...even down to starting with it being 2 degrees out one morning.

Now I leave the truck without driving it for a day and it won't start. Last nite, disconnected the terminals put a charge on the battery again and after an hour of charging get a "full" read on the charger it started right away.

This morning, same thing, no start, multiple clicking...even after try charging it and jumping it??

Is it possible that with a bad battery it won't jump start?? I checked all my connections and NONE of them are corroded. Cranked the terminal posts nice and tight, now it seems they may need replacing, hard to keep them tight any more.

Where to next? Going to take the battery over to Sears and have it load tested and see what they say.

Peter

2. Dec 18, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    bailerc

bailerc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    alternator ?

3. Dec 18, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Yes, sometimes a battery can be so dead that it won't even jumpstart. I would definetly start with a new battery. If you have to charge it after a 1 day of sitting and based on the rest of your story I would say your battery finally died.

4. Dec 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    LED light swap, TRD wheels, KO2s, C4Fab lo-pro
    the alternator charges the battery. i would check that after you get your battery checked. it is either not holding a charge or not getting a charge.

5. Dec 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Definitely check the alternator.

6. Dec 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    If it is dead after sitting, it is probably your battery. If your alternator were out it more than likely would have died on you while driving.
    Your battery is being sucked up while the car is on, with the engine running, your alternator keeps rejuicing the battery, if the alternator quits, your battery will drain pretty quickly and kill the truck when its gone (I've had this happen before, not fun). There is the off chance that it was draining on you because the alternator died and you just happened to stop before the battery died and then when you went to start it, it didn't have enough to keep you going.

7. Dec 18, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    i would deff check the alternater before i got too worried bout anything

8. Dec 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    RacerP

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Well, took the battery to Sears and they replaced it for free and restarted my 4yr warranty!!! The battery was bad, obviously.

Now I go out for a ride and the truck ran well for a little while then started dying on me at stop signs and stop lights, started back up again right away.

Thing is, I don't have the battery light coming on????

Could still still be my alternator??? Perhaps I had my alternator working to hard to recharge a crappy battery and killed the alternator??

What do you think?

9. Dec 18, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

I think you're on the right track. Get the alternator tested at sears or an auto parts store. They should be able to tell you if it's charging with the alternator still in the truck.

10. Dec 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    RacerP

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    Haven't tested the alternator yet, just made sure all made connections are snug enough and tightened the alternator belt just a bit, BUT, with the truck parked up against the garage door, have noticed the headlights dim after revving the motor??

Same with the blower motor on the heater?

Would this implicate the alternator or perhaps just the voltage regulator?

11. Dec 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    BoostingMS6

BoostingMS6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6
    Not trying to insult your intelligence, but are all your wires making contact when crimped to any electrical connectors. I rewired my ground last week, and when I crimped the wires to the circle connectors (not sure the name, sorry) to place on batter terminal, I didn't crimp it tight enough. Next day I went through some washed out, bumpy roads and the wire wiggled its way out of the connector a good bit. So sometimes it would die and sometimes it would run fine. Just a suggestion.

Check your alternator anyway.

12. Dec 18, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Sounds like the alternator still.
    Also go ahead and replace those terminals that hook up to the battary if they feel like they won't tighten any more. I had that happen and I was getting really bad corrosion on that terminal due to it being slightly loose. I replaced it about 3 months ago and there isn't a spec of corrosion on it.

13. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    I don't think it is your alternator. If the alternator were dying you would have some freaky things happening in your dash as it goes out, and once it dies, you are not restarting. There must be a loose connection somewhere.

14. Dec 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Have the alternator checked.
    Especially the 'brushes' within it. If the brushes are bad, it can't charge the battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top