1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

won't start when cold or parked 3-4 days

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by monnstar, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    monnstar

monnstar [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma lx 4x4
    k&n, NW header, firestone airbag rear, 4.88 gears, true-trac rear diff, piaa lights
    New member; thanks for any help!

Quirks of the old...:My 97 (241K mi) w/2.7 L is stubborn to start in cold (sub-30) or after having been parked for a week in any weather. Either won't crank (plenty of juice though--lights strong, etc.), just clicks, or starts hard and idles rough for a couple minutes. Starter new a couple years ago; I also cleaned up the solenoid this year. In starting it may crank a bit, freeze (I once thought there was a cat or rat caught in the belt!), crank some more before finally firing. Once it just clicked, so I rolled it forward and slipped the clutch in 3rd to turn the motor a bit (but not pop start it)--second try it cranked and fired right up. Yeah, check engine light is on (probably needs new catalytic converter). Dealer thinks its fuel (maybe fuel pump going out) but they couldn't recreate. I think it's electrical but what to try? New battery cables?, Replace alternator (it was oiled by a leak a few years ago but hasn't quit yet)? Just start replacing parts until it goes away? Anyone? Thanks!

2. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Tacoma V6 Ex Cab | Extreme Sierra
    I would clean the battery terminals, check the v at the battery and see if a new bat helped. IF so I would get something with way way more cold cranking amps like a red top. Otherwise start replacing stuff till it is fine again. ITs only cash right? lol

3. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    ^^^^ Check battery cold crank amps, get something with minimum 7-800

4. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Pig Punisher

Pig Punisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dearing ,ga
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sr5, 99 4x4 trd
    Walker Evans coilovers, 285/75/16 km2's, Allpro tube bumper, Warn m8000, custom spare tire carrier, rear bumper work in progress: the 99; tec one coilovers 32" km1's on 17" stock chevy steelies, 1.5" rear shackles
    Rough idle could be a weak fuel pump I suppose, but more likely a dirty fuel system or bad o2 sensor (could also cause CEL), check out the seafoam threads here to smooth idle. As for not cranking, does the starter turn the engine over fine? Sounds like the starter is weak.Did you replace with Toyota oem or el cheapo? with plenty of juice I would rule out the alternator.

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    might be your battery starting to shit the bed. how old is the battery anyway? ya may wanna start plugging your battery into a trickle charger when your away from it for days at a time. thats what i do anyway,just because i know my battery isnt as strong as it used to be(its the stock one,so 8 years old).

6. Nov 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    check spark plugs and wires:eek:

To Top